PDA

View Full Version : Pilatus Porter

StudentPilot479
8th Feb 2010, 08:59
Hi all,
I'll be starting to fly a Porter shortly and have been reading up about the plane. I've had most of my questions answered, but I have a few that I haven't been able to find anyone to answer them. Hopefully someone on hear can help me out.

First, the engine failure checklist says to set take off flaps and then glide for range. Does the Porter really glide farther with TO flaps? As well, what is best glide? The emergency checklists suggest 80 KIAS at gross weight with TO flaps (Forced Approach) but also not to go below 75 KIAS with no mention of setting TO flaps (Engine Failure in Flight).

Next question is why are the PT-6 models flat rated to 550SHP? The Astazou's went up to 580 SHP and the Garretts were 575 SHP, so I would have thought a bump up to those levels would have been fairly simple.

Finally, why can the B2-H4 not be operated with external fuel tanks while on skis, but all other variants can?

Thanks,
SP

S.F.L.Y
8th Feb 2010, 09:24
The Porter is a good glider despite its silhouette. I think the best glide ratio is around 16.

Setting TO flaps will not increase the gliding distance. It's basically a config in which you can reasonably glide and land without any other change of configuration. This trick can help you once you're around a landing spot as it gives you the option to retract, to maintain or to drop flaps depending on your needs. The most important point is to use the same config as what you are used to during training since this is where you make your marks. Training in TO config will give you more option to adapt your gliding perfs and is helpful for initial climb engine failure management.

I have no idea on why the flat rating was limited to 550 SHP but this could simply be related to gearbox limitations.

karl414ac
8th Feb 2010, 13:05
Fantastic A/C to fly for fun or para dropping!

The later models are easier to handle on the ground with the steerable tail wheel, and alot of rudder to keep it straight on the runway when that huge prop bites.

Keep an eye on the ITT when using beta for long periods in steep decents they tend to get quite warm.

414AC

Falconman
8th Feb 2010, 17:57
First and foremost check the trim setting before takeoff.
May sound obvious but if you are parachuting or doing quick turn-arounds, it's easy to forget (out of sight on the roof) unless you are lucky enough to have the electric trim option.

Have fun - it's a great aircraft!

StudentPilot479
11th Feb 2010, 04:16
Thanks for the tips and answers, all great things to keep in mind. If only I could find someone to answer the question about external fuel and skis...that one's had me thinking and wondering since I first saw it.

papazulu
11th Feb 2010, 16:36
Hi mate, flew this winged donkey for few hrs as pilot (course was stopped halfway...:{) but I've been around skydiving for a bit in the past.

Perhaps THIS (http://www.pc-6.com/index.htm) website holds enough contacts to get the infos you are looking for. Icarus Aerotechnics (http://www.icarius.fr/pages/main.php) in Gap-Tallards also was the 1st to convert PC6s to the bigger PW (-34 if I am not mistaking...) but didn-t have Pilatus approval until recently.

Have fun with the ugly but joy-to-fly Porter...I miss it!

PZ :rolleyes: