PDA

View Full Version : C208B Abridged Type Rating?

Oxeagle
8th Feb 2010, 03:18
Morning all,

I'm off to the US later this year to complete my FAA CPL, and whilst out there i'm going to be flying 20 hours or so in a C208B. I have no previous experience on type, and from what I understand it is simply a case of type specific training under the FAA certification. What i'd like to know is how do I go about getting my JAA C208B type rating on the basis of this experience? Is it simply a case of a flight test, an abridged type rating course or would I have to do the full type rating?

Many thanks

OE

HS125
8th Feb 2010, 11:23
Under the FAA there is NO Type Rating for the Cessna 208. It is a Airplane Single engine Land, or Airplane Single Engine Sea. under the FARs you can legally jump out of a 150 and into a 208..... The underwriter may have a view on that, but consequently it can be a bit harder to transfer.

As a general guide when transferring type ratings to JAA/EASA we found that

- Being current on type on another licence exempts the 6 takeoffs and landings

- 500 hours on type exempts the written.

- If the CAA are pressed, yiou can get down from a full course to 'training as required.

I'd ring the CAA and ask if they'll give you any credit for what you've done, or better still, Get a TRTO to do that on your behalf.

Jeff

S-Works
8th Feb 2010, 11:58
Drop me a me a PM. I am HOT at TRTO and we have been through this loop before. We now have our own approved course but I can put you on the path to converting.

MikeNYC
8th Feb 2010, 20:12
under the FARs you can legally jump out of a 150 and into a 208...only if you have a High Performance endorsement, which obviously isn't needed for a 150 (just nit-picking here)...

Piripi
11th Feb 2010, 19:04
So is it an easy process to convert my time on type to JAA TR? I have 1050 hours on the C208B. FAA and JAA licences. Current on type until the end of march.