PDA

View Full Version : Flight Of Angels- Daily Mail article

barotraumatized
7th Feb 2010, 23:07
I very nearly didn't put this link up due to the negative connotations associated with admitting I've read the Daily Mail, even once, but I had to bring this article to the attention of the Board. I know they've had a bit more publicity of recent, but Christ, the job these guys and girls do never ceases to amaze me. Bloody good work.

The flight of angels: saving lives in Afghanistan's airborne A&E | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1248526/The-flight-angels-saving-lives-Afghanistans-airborne-A-E.html)

chiglet
8th Feb 2010, 00:05
Thanks...I think it's a great tribute

Pure Pursuit
8th Feb 2010, 07:01
Thanks for posting that article.

An impressive read about a tremendous group of people.

vecvechookattack
8th Feb 2010, 08:04
Great article and some brilliant pics.... Someone needs to show Flt Lt McGlynn how to put a flying helmet on properly.

airborne_artist
8th Feb 2010, 08:22
C4 News did a very good piece on MERTs two years ago - the first post on this thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/312564-merts-wokkas-afghan.html) links to the article, which has a good video attached.

Wwyvern
8th Feb 2010, 11:27
vvc

You can see that F/L McGlynn is surrounded by soldiers wearing NO flying helmets. How else can she hear what they are saying but by pulling her helmet off to the side to clear her ear?

Prat.

air pig
8th Feb 2010, 11:31
Maybe one day someone will write their story, as Mark Hammond did from the front end view.

cornish-stormrider
8th Feb 2010, 12:56
It doesn't half make my blood boil.

The pride and best of a generation - out in that f***ing sandpit ****hole giving EVERYTHING they've got defending us - (I know that is debateable to some, but show some respect and find another thread please) - while this country goes down the toilet with the slime on Jermy Kyle.

someone in the know please PM me with an address for the hospital at KAF, I work for a certain snack food manufacturer ( they don't go off) and I am in the mood to do some corporate bribery ( it's morale guv honest)

All I need is somewhere to ship some morale.

handsome goafer
8th Feb 2010, 13:01
There's a series on ITV4 on Friday nights 2100 (i think) about the Medics in that 'Sh++ hole'

vecvechookattack
8th Feb 2010, 16:40
You can see that F/L McGlynn is surrounded by soldiers wearing NO flying helmets. How else can she hear what they are saying but by pulling her helmet off to the side to clear her ear?

IAW established doctrine she should remove her helmet if she needs to communicate with someone. The soldiers are all wearing their head protection correctly. She is not. She should either do the strap up properly or take the helmet off.

Prat

Runaway Gun
8th Feb 2010, 16:45
She seems a bit busy doing CPR to give a F@ck.

Cows getting bigger
8th Feb 2010, 16:55
Absolutely. She has her hands wrapped around a heart. :ugh:

The medics do an absolutely fantastic job, with or without a properly donned helmet.

vecvechookattack
8th Feb 2010, 17:08
Most certainly. She and her team are doing a remarkable job and they deserve all the praise that they are receiving. Well Done Fiona and your team.

foldingwings
8th Feb 2010, 17:20
vvc

IAW established doctrine she should remove her helmet if she needs to communicate with someone. The soldiers are all wearing their head protection correctly. She is not. She should either do the strap up properly or take the helmet off.

Get off your high horse, get real and b**ger off! I can see from the number of posts you have had the time to make on PPRuNe that you are well versed in the happenings of Afghanistan!!!!!!!!!!

What does your f:mad:ing handle stand for anyway?

Tossa:=

Foldie

A ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THE PEOPLE OF THE MERTS:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A bag of vomit for vvc :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

vecvechookattack
8th Feb 2010, 17:24
Foldingwings....you may think that but I disagree. I think that the MERT are doing a very valuable and honest job. Without their courage and skill we may have lost many more of our brave servicemen and so what ever you believe, the girls and guys of MERT get my vote everyday.:ok:

you are well versed in the happenings of Afghanistan!!!!!!!!!!
only 3 times but I'm not counting....Look closely and you can see one of my aircraft in those pics.

topgas
8th Feb 2010, 19:38
She isn't wearing the helmet for protection - she is the only link between the rest of MERT and the drivers up front. If she takes it off, she, and the rest of MERT, lose SA. I've got a lovely picture of a Flight Nurse looking a bit worried - she told us later she was wondering whether to tell us the LZ was a bit warm:rolleyes:

MightyGem
8th Feb 2010, 19:49
Prat
Hmmm...I think that's you in this case, vvc. Unless I'm missing something

gijoe
8th Feb 2010, 20:34
I think they have a comms system now that makes the shouting and hands signals a little less necessary.

Martin the Martian
9th Feb 2010, 11:35
I'm a nurse myself. Never worked in A+E, but have been involved in quite a few emergency situations while on the wards. It's bad enough trying to save somebody's life in a brightly lit, unmoving hospital, but working like that on injured people in the back of a dark, noisy, lurching helicopter... I take my hat, scarf and gloves off to them all.

And to top it all, I don't need to be issued with body armour and a 9mm as part of my shift. These people cannot be praised highly enough.

barnstormer1968
9th Feb 2010, 17:52
Martin the Martian.
I think you are displaying a very poor and care free attitude..
Now you get them gloves and hat straight back on, and make sure they are perfectly straight........We're saving lives here young man:}:E:E

rockape2k7
11th Feb 2010, 19:35
VVC

You sir should go and hang your pedant head in shame... :ugh:

There are times to say what you think and there are times to think what you want to say... you got this one wrong vvc :=

vecvechookattack
11th Feb 2010, 19:46
I disagree.... and I'll repeat what I said on 8th February.

I think that the MERT are doing a very valuable and honest job. Without their courage and skill we may have lost many more of our brave servicemen and so what ever you believe, the girls and guys of MERT get my vote everyday.

Now if you don't think that the MERT are doing a good job then that's your opinion but I do hope that you never have any need for their fine service.

Romeo Oscar Golf
11th Feb 2010, 20:20
VVC you have not retracted your infantile and ill considered remarks on "correct" helmet wearing nor your "prat" label for Fiona. We have all got the message that you like the MERT, but that is not the issue.
I can only hope that the criticism comments were a very poor attempt at humour, but seeing your track record of postings on this site, I doubt it:*

Pure Pursuit
11th Feb 2010, 22:10
I echo the above sentiments from ROG.

VVC, you are coming across as an utter k:mad:b on this thread. I suggest you summon the decency to bite the bullet and retract your unwelcome, incorrect and exceptionally rude comment.

ralphmalph
11th Feb 2010, 22:23
I have to say....sometimes you are right...this time....not!

suck it up big boy!

TheWizard
11th Feb 2010, 23:17
only 3 times but I'm not counting....Look closely and you can see one of my aircraft in those pics.

So its 'your' aircraft is it?
I can see
RAF Chinook -not yours
Army Lynx -not yours
USAF Pavehawk -not yours

Do you fly in one of those old stealth helicopters that are always parked in the hangar?

Time and time again you come on here and spout your ignorance of things you don't have a real grip of. Have a break and stick to what you know.:rolleyes:

4mastacker
12th Feb 2010, 09:38
TW, is the cement mixer (to the left of the Pavehawk) vvha's 'cab'?

Romeo Oscar Golf
14th Feb 2010, 16:59
Just bringing it back to the top, so vecvechookattack has the opportunity to apologise.

Landroger
14th Feb 2010, 20:37
Thank you for posting this thread, it really does bring it home just how good our military are. Mind you, since they are all the lickspittle puppies of the Great Satan America, the infidels - especially the women - are probably all doomed to extinction by an angry God. Just look at the ungodly way they pick up the suffering - not even their own suffering either. They are so against the teachings of Allah, that they even defile the bodies of the Great and Merciful Taleban with their medicine.

Why can the people of Afghanistan not see, that when the Taleban have finished killing your men, women and children in the street, for no other reason than they got in the way of killing infidels, they will reign with religious fervour which - they say - is alway merciful? They can offer you ............................. nothing, except death as a one stop shopping sanction for any indiscretion in the opinion of anyone wearing a beard and a stupid, pork pie shaped hat and institutionalised oppression and violence to women.

What use is a Taleban - they are like wasps. Useless and dangerous.

I'll get my coat - I get a bit carried away. :*

Roger.

gijoe
15th Feb 2010, 16:57
Roger,

Taliban is the plural.

Talib is the singular = religious student.

...but you're right.

G :ok:

air pig
18th Feb 2010, 17:39
Maybe this is a time that a certain ex RAF medical officer, should look to his conscience about his decision not to got to war. This is the reality of his decision, others at the time stepped into the gap he so disgracefully left by his decision and I believe cowardice in refusing to be deployed.

In the words of Flt Lt Fiona McGlynn "But the best service we provide is morale. The troops on the ground know no matter where they are, we will fly in and do everything we can to ensure they get home to their families in the best possible condition."

Bravery of the teams and all concerned of the highest order, and in in the true traditions of medical services in time of war. for those who have not, try John Nicholls and Tony Rendells book 'Medic' To think some on here criticised how she was wearing her helmet, shame on them.

Air pig

Kouncil House Kid
18th Feb 2010, 20:27
Cornish Stormrider,

Check your PMs.

Romeo Oscar Golf
19th Feb 2010, 16:10
To think some on here criticised how she was wearing her helmet, shame on them.

and he/she/it still hasn't the balls to retract the comment.

Just bringing it back to the top, so vecvechookattack has the opportunity to apologise.

That was on Valentines Day, and so far nothing. What's wrong with you, vecvechookattack, too big to apologise or do you still think your comments are OK?

manxcat
19th Feb 2010, 19:40
FWIW.

I've done MERT as an Emergency Nurse in Helmand and I know Fiona well as a friend and colleague.

In the photo it does look like Fiona's helmet is unstrapped but that is a snapshot in time. Vecvechookattack, we all appreciate the safety implications but you weren't there and not knowing the circumstances it's unfair to criticise those helping others without having all the facts. :=

You have to shout to be heard (or as I did become adept at sign language) and you have to occasionally pull your flying helmet to one side to hear your team. I occasionally had to unplug and come off comms to move around the cab and do my job. Was that wrong too?

Being on 'headset' you are the link between the aircrew and the rest of the MERT. You quite often are privy to comms that you'd rather not hear (and I don't just mean the usual aircrew banter) and it certainly heightens your senses. The rest of the MERT look to you for SA and when things are very hot you try not to look overtly concerned.

As for the job. Working in a well-lit, well-manned, stable A&E department is one thing. Delivering emergency care in a rapidly manoeuvering, noisy and cramped environment, sometimes to several casualties at once, can be a huge challenge. Performing basic care or intricate clinical procedures at night, without the benefit of light, further exacerbates the difficulties and requires great understanding between the team.

The job is clinically, emotionally and physically demanding and by far the hardest thing I've ever had to do. We readily fly into the heart of the battle with little thought for our own safety whatever the time day or night.

The MERT is a team effort. The CH47 and AH crews are awesome. The medical people I work with are selfless, consumate professionals and of the highest order. The QRF that often assist us in situations are top blokes.

I am immensely proud to have put myself on the line for our guys and girls 'on the ground' and I know this is a sentiment shared by the MERT.

Vecvechookattack, give the girl a bit of slack eh? We are all on the same side I think.:ok:

Nec Aspera Terrant.

manxcat

Maybe one day someone will write their story, as Mark Hammond did from the front end view.
air pig, I kept a diary during my tour which may make interesting reading...

John Nichol
20th Feb 2010, 09:24
"Maybe one day someone will write their story"

Air Pig, I always hesitate to join the fray on these pages, but I thought thought you might like to know that someone (Me & Tony Rennell) has done just that as part of our book:

"Medic - Saving Lives From Dunkirk To Afghanistan"

Medic: Saving Lives - from Dunkirk to Afghanistan: Amazon.co.uk: John Nichol, Tony Rennell, Eleo Gordon: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medic-Saving-Lives-Dunkirk-Afghanistan/dp/0670916048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266661297&sr=1-1)

A discussion about in on ARRSE:

Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > Boards by Arm / Service (roughly) > > Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC > > MEDIC - saving lives from Dunkirk to Afghanistan (http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=131448.html)

MightyGem
20th Feb 2010, 10:58
Respect, manxcat. :D :ok:

air pig
20th Feb 2010, 11:11
John, I am part the way through your book, absolutely amazing read, dusty room syndrome at times, and to Manx Cat, to you and the others, thanks for all you do. Your diary would make interesting reading. The stories you have to tell and the tragedies and triumphs, cannot be told too often, to bring the awareness to others of the trials and tribulations of what is going on in the big sandpit.

To an other on here, I do wish the individual would read the above post from Manx cat and send his/her apology to the team and in particular Fiona for the comments made. I am sure if they are made here they would get back to her, but, I am sure, IF and its a big IF they know where she is at the moment a bunch of flowers would be better as an apology.

Regards to all and stay safe

Air pig.

cornish-stormrider
20th Feb 2010, 15:46
To all those who have PM'd me. Many Many thanks.

the wheels of commerce turn ( slowly admittedly ) but I have got the damn things turning. Let me once again reiterate that all names and numbers will be in the strictest of confidence but if those of you who have stitched a mate up :E and passed me their details could forewarn them to expect a thick cornishman on the phone/writing a letter etc.

the basic plot is I plan to send as many goodies as the company I work for will let me get away with to a ****hole sandy place. if I have to cheat, break rules and bribe people I will.

I will report when there is more news - but now I will go back to staring out of the window at the beautiful flying day outside

air pig
21st Feb 2010, 15:57
Bumpity, so that some may have more time to apologise for their crass comments

air pig
21st Feb 2010, 18:44
Thanks to ROG for his/her PM, maybe vecvec may just may apologise for their comments, but not holding my breath.

Air pig

vecvechookattack
21st Feb 2010, 21:19
Manx Cat – I wholeheartedly agree with everything that you have written. Thank you for a detailed explanation of what your team does and how they do it, it is much appreciated.
Unlike you, some people on this thread do not appreciate what the MERT personnel do. I am not one of those doubters. As I stated earlier in the month, I believe that the MERT team are a group of utterly professional and dedicated carers. They are prepared to put their lives on the line in order to save others – a cause that is truly unbelievable in this modern age of muggings and corner shop murders. I do hope that my suggestion that Flt Lt McGlynn should do up her chin strap has not caused her any offence. I truly hope that she continues to help others in the same vain that she has been conducting herself over the past few months. I believe that it is people like her that deserve medals and awards – Not Roger day and not your local MP who has spent 3 days under the security blanket of Bastion No it is the MERT Officers who deserve all of the credit.

That is why this afternoon I sent an emailed apology to Flt Lt Glynn (Thankfully there are not many McGlynn’s on Dii). I apologised profusely to her for any embarrassment or hurt that I may have caused. I explained that I didn’t want her to appear amateurish by not attaching her chin strap and went on to explain that having worked with members of her team in Basra that I thought that they were totally professional, caring and understanding. They really are a Flight of angels and I salute them and all who support them.

Tourist
21st Feb 2010, 22:10
Vec.
Are you, by any chance, a senior officer or polititian?

or a weasel?

air pig
21st Feb 2010, 22:15
Ok everyone, lets take vec's word, in the spirit that they offered and continue to celebrate the bravery of the teams and all concerned.

Vec vec noble of you to stand up and say it :D:D

Air pig

air pig
22nd Feb 2010, 11:45
I have now had two PMs with insults, I have requested one individual to move away in short sharp jerky movements, not a problem to me, but shows an intolerance to the views of others.

As an ex PM Officer, I have to stand up for my colleagues, so if your are big enough, put your comments in the open for all to see and not hide behind the PM system. At least vec has the intestinal fortitude and gonads to reveal himself and his thoughts publicly unlike others.

Incidentally, both PMs were from probationary pruners, who have not posted before, obviously do not understand robust opinions are seen on this forum.

Air pig.

StopStart
22nd Feb 2010, 15:31
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/dont%20care/Care-NoBody.jpg

:ugh:

vecvechookattack
22nd Feb 2010, 15:40
I do. I care. Like Flt Lt McGlynn I care.

People who don't care portray a lack of interest, a lack of pride and a lack of honour. I'm very proud of people like Flt Lt McGlynn. I think that we all should be very proud of her and care for her. If you don't care for her or are not proud of her then so be it but I'm glad for one that you are not a member of HM Forces because we are all proud of her.

air pig
22nd Feb 2010, 15:57
Hear hear !!

Air pig

StopStart
22nd Feb 2010, 17:39
Have another one.....

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/omfg/OMFG-Drama.jpg

My comments were directed at the rambling post just before mine that Vec has deleted. Having worked closely with the CCAST teams many times, I'm well aware of what a fine job they do but thanks for the "oh-say-can-you-see" tear jerking speech of Pride, Honour, Liberty and Fruit of The Loom etc. :rolleyes:

As for who PM'd who and which anonymous Ppruner sent nasty messages to which other anonymous Ppruner, I refer you to my previous post.

:hmm:

Romeo Oscar Golf
23rd Feb 2010, 14:20
Thanks vecvechookattack...its not easy making a public apology and most of us accept it in the spirit it is meant. As for the others.............
:ok:

rockape2k7
24th Jan 2014, 21:01
I'm not sure that was.... we're still waiting.