PDA

View Full Version : Just what EXACTLY is Disabled in Thunderbird 'Safe Mode'?

BLUE SKY THINKER
6th Feb 2010, 14:29
Can't fathom this one (!).

Scenario: My Thunderbird address book contains the standard 'Personal Address Book' and 'Collected Addresses' plus half a dozen extra designated ones of my own.

All of a sudden, on opening, 'Personal Address Book' contents is displayed, but impossible to open all the others (icons showing as normal down the left-hand side). Open Thunderbird in Safe Mode and all works as it should.

My understanding is that Safe Mode disables extensions, plug-ins and themes; is there anything else? The only reason I ask is that, although I have no extra themes, I've disabled all extensions and plug-ins (plus my own userChrome for good measure) and returned it to Normal Mode, but the problem persists. I can only assume there is something else in Safe Mode that I'm not aware of, that could be checked/disabled in Normal Mode (?).

Maybe relevant: exported a copy of address book to LDIF last night, but problem may have been prior to that as I haven't tried to access personally designated books for a while.

Obviously relevant (but don't know the cure): Error Console message on trying to access...

gSearchInput is null
chrome://messenger/content/addressbook/abCommon.js

:confused:
Frustrating.

Thanks in anticipation.

themidge
10th Feb 2010, 16:20
Have you tried contacting the Thunderbirds about this? Cough, I mean the Thunderbird support team? I have use Thunderbird for years and never encountered such a problem. Wish I could help.

Support | Mozilla Messaging (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/support/)

BLUE SKY THINKER
20th Feb 2010, 22:59
Finally resolved thanks to reply from Mozilla Messaging tonight.

Details below for anyone doing a search here in the future for this problem....

"When you remove the Quick Search box from the address book toolbar, you can no longer select/display any address books but the default.

Also, the error console displays "Error: gSearchInput is null Source File:chrome://messenger/content/addressbook/abCommon.js Line: 588" when you try to select the address book.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Address Book
2. Right click toolbar -> Customize
3. Remove Quick Search box
4. Close and reopen address book
5. Select "Collected Address"

Actual Results:
Selected address book is not displayed, error is logged in error console.

Expected Results:
Address book should be displayed and there shouldn't be an error."

:)