PDA

View Full Version : Hunter XF-515 of Farnborough loop fame photo request.

artyhug
6th Feb 2010, 11:19
Hello all,

Well what little anonymity I had is soon to disappear but I have a request.

I'm currently filling an oversea exchange post and co-located with us is Hunter XF515 which from what I have been told was part of the 22 Hunter loop.

Now for the begging part!

The current operators are very keen to acquire a good print of said aircraft in the midst of the loop. Are there any good folk out there with a image that they are willing to part with?

Alternatively ideas to chase up would be appreciated, I shall be calling in the odd favour with current Treble One members in said quest.

Thanks all,

Artyhug

Jackonicko
6th Feb 2010, 11:31
".........this aircraft also took part in the 22 ship loop performed by the Black Arrows with a few of their friends from other squadrons at Farnborough on 4th September 1958, flown at Black Four position by Flt. Lt. Alan Brindle."

Flying Lawyer
6th Feb 2010, 13:37
Arty I shall be calling in the odd favour with current Treble One members in said quest
Other possible leads -

About 10 of the 22 Hunters were from Treble One. Others were from 43 and 56. You might want to check where XF515 came from and contact that squadron (if it still exists) or its squadron association.

The formation was led by Sqn Ldr (later Air Cdre) Roger Topp AFC**, OC Treble One. I haven't seen him for a few years and no longer have his contact details but someone will probably be able to help.

http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/22_hunters.jpg

PPRuNe Pop
6th Feb 2010, 18:53
I think I am correct in saying that 111 Sqn are still based at Leuchars.

NutherA2
6th Feb 2010, 19:35
I think I am correct in saying that 111 Sqn are still based at Leuchars.

Yes, I can see them from here; I'm pretty sure they haven't done any 22 ship loops lately, though and their present aircraft aren't as good looking as they were in those days.:ok:

Emma_B
2nd Jul 2013, 15:36
I know this reply is just a few years outdated but I do have a few copies of the planes during the 22 loop :) if you may be interested?

Seadog7073
3rd Jul 2013, 08:01
There is a great picture of the said loop in the Squadron at North Weald. The picture shows the numbers on the bottoms of the wings quite clearly.

Pauljos
5th Jul 2014, 13:48
Seadog 7073
Quote:
There is a great picture of the said loop in the Squadron at North Weald. The picture shows the numbers on the bottoms of the wings quite clearly

HI all.
Interesting posts for a new forum member like me......
Is this great picture of yours, seadog, available for sharing in order to investigate the numbers.
I do gather info on XF515, N-294 nowadays.........
regards
Pauljos

BOAC
5th Jul 2014, 17:11
arty - as an aside, if Polly is still around, can I have the pencil back that she nicked from my zoot-suit in 1982?