PDA

View Full Version : RAAF AME wanting to move into commercial work

Benc
5th Feb 2010, 00:53
Time to move on from the RAAF.

I want an AME job in Australia(pref. Melbourne). I have a couple of interviews lined up with Jetstar and Virgin Blue.

As anyone got any advice words of wisdom etc? I know the pay is pretty terrible all round. I am keen to get my log book done on an aircraft pretty quickly and hopefully step up to LAME. Do the airlines encourage this or do they keep you down at AME level.

Any tips appreciated.

blackhand
5th Feb 2010, 04:15
Welcome to civil aviation.
I made the move in early 1990's - times were tougher than now.
\Pay rates depend on where you are willing to work - have toolbox will travel is my motto.
You need to convert your RAAF aircraft type experience to civil type aircraft.

If you held a minimum rank of sergeant you will be well equipped for the challenge ahead.

You may be interested to note that most of the Chief Engineer positions in helicopter industry in PNG are held by ex RAAF or Army Aviation technicians.

You will be in demand because of your training and adherence to procedures.

good luck

BH

Benc
5th Feb 2010, 23:27
Thanks BH

Willing to travel around OZ only as I have a young family.

I am experienced on the Hawks. Not much call for them in Civil aviation :)

I believe I will be starting from scratch again

5th Feb 2010, 23:44
Hate to rain on your parade but most, if not all, of the airlines try and keep minimum numbers of LAME's to keep costs down.
Most if not all have LAME's employed as AMEs and refuse to acknowledge or pay for the License.
One,VB I undestand, wants to be able to pay guys in this situation for a shift or part of a shift if they need licence coverage, certainly doesn't encourage folks does it?!
All the best with your transition to civil life.

Benc
6th Feb 2010, 00:48
God that doesnt sound good. Are they all like that? Is there any employer that is better than another?

Avtrician
6th Feb 2010, 01:26
You could always try Airflite at East Sale, they do PC9s.

blackhand
6th Feb 2010, 03:05
I am experienced on the Hawks. Not much call for them in Civil aviation

The demand for LAME away from the majors is still high, resources boom is luring a lot of experienced men offshore.

As someone who is involved in employing LAME's I can say that it is getting harder to recruit people experienced and confident enough to maintain aircraft in the field, away from "instant" backup and support.

Find a niche market and work towards that.

BH

Benc
7th Feb 2010, 00:55
There isnt alot of info available on how to best transition to a civilian job. This forum has really been all I have found.

When you say niche market do you mean moving into something like the mining industry or smaller employers like ausjet for example. Should I be looking at turbo props or jets?

Sorry if this sounds ignorant but I guess I feel a bit that way at the moment. Any info you can send my way is greatly appreciated. Happy to do my own research if I have a place to start.

NutLoose
7th Feb 2010, 01:55
Not what you want to hear, but my advice, if you can stay where you are for a couple of years......... Do

There are a lot of Engineers both Licenced and unlicenced struggling to find work in the recession that have a lot of civil experience......

I am not trying to put a downer on things, but if your position would be good for a couple more years, I would stick with it. Things will pick up, but at the moment it's pretty dire worldwide.

As for your other questions, pay tends to be less on the smaller end of the market, Airlines or Helicopters tend to be the better paid. For what its worth being ex military is seen as an asset, as you, as I was I think ;) have been properly trained and tend to have a track record of being able to think for yourself and be reliable and conciencious.. I am in the UK BTW, so the above about the market may not effect you as much,

As for licencing, for the Auz side of things see

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - AME Exams (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90475)

NutLoose
7th Feb 2010, 02:04
The only thing on Aviation jobsearch I could find was for licenced

Apply for the Aircraft Engineers - Australian Based Positions job posted by John Holland Aviation Services, AviationJobSearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/jobs/aero_engineer/australia/aircraft_engineers_australian_based_positions-60581.html?search_no=1)

ask away here though folks will try to help and point you in the right direction.........

Benc
9th Feb 2010, 19:59
Thanks for the tips

Staying put isnt really an option for me just treading water where I am.

Heres hoping the situation in Australia isnt as dire or I may end up on an oil rig.

I do have a couple of interviews lined up really hoping something comes off. The money will be pretty ordinary for awhile hopefully there is alot of overtime about to make up for it.