PDA

View Full Version : Learjet 55

JDL-Toronto
4th Feb 2010, 23:04
Hello All, Seriously considering purchasing a 1982 Learjet 55 with Fresh Engines, and current inspections, just looking for opinions pro and con.
Also does anyone know any web sites of companies that install the delta fins found on the 55C and the extended range fuel tanks
Thanks for all of your help

flaps78
5th Feb 2010, 04:07
What s/n and how many hours?

Fossy
5th Feb 2010, 05:48
any clue about the avionic? depending on the area of operation, some expensive mods could be required

lpokijuhyt
5th Feb 2010, 06:27
JDL-Toronto:

Send me a PM. I am fairly certain I can get you a good deal (point you in the right direction) on the mods you desire.

Regards,
lpok:)

inner
5th Feb 2010, 07:56
Can i ask why a lear55 and not a lear 60??

grtz

robbreid
5th Feb 2010, 13:58
Business Aircraft Service & Support (http://www.duncanaviation.aero/) if they can't they will direct you to who can.

Hi-Alt
5th Feb 2010, 18:20
Don't know about 55 mods but Avcon did the work on our 35A.

Avcon Overview (http://www.butlernational.com/avcon_overview.htm)

JDL-Toronto
6th Feb 2011, 12:48
It's been a year now and still haven't purchased a Lear, (maybe it's been a blessing as the market has tanked, and the CAD dollar is now somewhat at par) regardless it's time to get off the fence! Some have asked why consider a LJ 55 over a 60, quite simply put is capital outlay, seems like a decent Lear 55 (TT below 8000hrs, inspections & maintenance current) can be purchased in the $ 1,000,000 range, even a total interior refurb and paint would add 250 - 300k to the bottom line, at the end of the day 1.3 M and you've got a decent plane, now my question to all of you, am I on the right track or am I missing something? Is this plane still going to give me many years of service? Also the nm range quoted is 1900, from past experiences can this aircraft fly yyz (Toronto) to las (Vegas)??? Thanking you all in advance for your replies

lear60fellow
6th Feb 2011, 16:13
The LJ60 its and advanced model of the LJ55, the 55 MTOW is 19.500lbs which is the MLW of the LJ60 (MTOW 23.500lbs). Real range on the LJ60 is 2.300nm compared to 1.900nm on the LJ55. Prices on the LJ55 around 1.0M$, now you can find LJ60 below 3.0M$.

Both aircraft are great, for 1.0M$ you have a fanatstic aircraft if it has the right electronics.

jetopa
7th Feb 2011, 07:10
1,900 NM is doable, if everything's done right (and if you get the FL you asked for). Maybe your airplane has extended tanks in the rear (= external) baggage hold. Some of them do.

Don't know what the delta fins will do for you. It won't make a LJ55C out of it, 'cause this one has other things, too (= only one yaw damper, if I remember correctly and different emergency descent memory items).

You can't get much more airplane for the money, particularly considering the comfort and cabin space! And with the right paint job, it actually still looks good.

Yes, the LJ60 would be the better deal for only a shy 1,7 millions more - but isn't there always 'a slightly better deal'? You have to decide and you can buy a lot of kerosene (or give the pilots a raise :ok:) for the 1,7 mill. $$ that you're saving.

Nothing to add.

JDL-Toronto
7th Feb 2011, 13:27
Thanks for your reply Lear Fellow 60, the LJ55 that I am looking at has the following electronics;
J.E.T. FC-550 Autopilot
Dual Sperry SPI-501Flight Directors
Universal MFD-640 Multifunction Display
Bendix King CAS-67A TCAS II/w Chg 7
Dual Bendix King MST-67A Transponders
Avionix Corp. Standby Attitude Ind.
Fairchild A-100 CVR
Artex 406Mhz ELT
Dual IS&S Altimeters/ADC’s
Davtron Clocks
Dual Collins VHF-22C Comms.
Dual Collins VIR-32 Navs
Dual Collins IND-42A DME
Collins CTL-82 ADF
Garmin 165 GPS
Universal Unilink 701
Standby Altimeter
Universal UNS-1F FMS/GPS w/ Uni-Link
Universal TAWS-B
Intervox Intercom
Avionics Master Switch
Goodrich WX-950 Stormscope

What do you think? I know that In Canada the TCAS II is mandatory

Thanks for your input

JDL

cldrvr
7th Feb 2011, 13:55
So you are looking at Ser # 014, N303PM? Not a bad aircraft, it is old and you need to have a good look at the AD's and make darn sure you look at the fine print on the MSP contract.

You get what you pay for and buying one of the oldest 55's flying will come with the associated increase in cost to keep it flying. DOC of a 55 is roughly USD800-1,000 more per hour then a 60 would be.

It all comes down to what the principal wants and how good the guy/girl is looking after an older bird. She is 20 years old and that comes with added costs of operating her.

Others here could possibly advise what big ticket items are due on a 6,600 hour 20-yr old airframe.

Avionics wise, this one has the steam gauges and that also comes with added costs of maintaining them.

JDL-Toronto
7th Feb 2011, 14:30
Thanks cldrvr,

we are estimating the DOC's to be $ 2,300/per hour and we have been told that the MSP rate is $ 247.00/per hour per engine, are we missing something? Please correct me if am wrong, but arnt DOC'c on a LJ60 approximately $ 1,900/per hour?

Thanks

JDL

shattashaun
26th Jun 2012, 04:53
Just reading some Learjet 55 forums because we just purchased a 1982 one. The bird handles really well only problem as everyone says is the avionics issues. Can get a bit nagging at times but we are 4 months into our usage and only had a starter gen issue ground us once.

THELORDJOV
22nd Aug 2013, 15:18
hi there, i'm now in panama city. my boss want to go to ny on sunday. my aricraft has passed the 300hours (it has 303 hours) for the A inspection. my quiestion is may i do the flight? i mean leave my boss in ny and the there perform my aircraft inspection? there is any limitation by hours time and/or pax limitations?