PDA

View Full Version : XP Blue screen help

herman the crab
4th Feb 2010, 19:54
I am running XP Home on an EEE PC 1000 netbook or rather I was...

Had XP freeze requiring turning off with the power button and on restart I am getting the blue screen after the first Windows Logo. I cannot boot into safe mode or start normally. Now the problem - I am away from home and do not have either the OEM disk or the external CD player with me.

I have access to a Vista machine and have a 2GB usb stick, which apparently the EEE is able to boot from.

Anyone know where I can get the software to run XP repair or get the machine running again without losing anything?

Error is:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A5BFE30,0xC0000006,0x0000000,0x0000000)

Thanks.

HTC

stickyb
5th Feb 2010, 01:48
Not sure if tis helps, but see
When you restart your computer or upgrade to Windows XP, you receive the "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185)

If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, the cause of the error is that the file system is damaged. You can try to repair the volume to see whether this resolves the error. If the second parameter is not 0xC0000032, see "Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings" for help

Method 2: Check the IDE cable and load Fail-Safe settings

If your computer uses a UDMA hard disk controller, try these steps. If your computer does not use a UDMA hard disk controller, see the "Next steps" section for help.

If your UDMA hard disk is connected to the controller with a 40-wire UDMA cable, replace the cable with an 80-wire cable.
In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options, such as USB Support.

herman the crab
5th Feb 2010, 14:58
Thanks stickyb but tried all that - to no avail. :(

HTC

aerobelly
5th Feb 2010, 21:30
Sorry, can't tell you how to restore XP, but I can tell you how to get your un-backed-up files off the disc so you can do a clean re-install.

Get a Linux "live" CD or DVD -- they come on magazine covers at 5 to 7 quid. It will run entirely from the CD/DVD drive, but can mount the data part of the XP disc read-only and a USB stick read/write. Get what you need onto the stick and then go back to your XP installation disks and start from scratch.

If you don't have the XP disks you could try putting Linux onto the EEE notebook. Try Google for instructions, it's not quite as straight-forward as a normal PC, but is definitely do-able.

'b

herman the crab
6th Feb 2010, 13:53
Unfortunately aerobelly I don't have either the XP disks or a CD drive with me - that's the problem!

HTC

Keef
6th Feb 2010, 17:54
Aerobelly's solution is exactly what I would do. If you're away from home and the relevant bits of kit, then you will have to defer sorting the problem till you get home. There isn't a short-cut unless you happen to be in a place where there are helpful folks with all the necessary kit to come to your aid.

herman the crab
10th Feb 2010, 06:31
Resolved with XP restore and chkdsk /r :)

All seems to be working normally.

Thanks for suggestions.

HTC.