PDA

View Full Version : Jet 2 spotters

dwshimoda
3rd Feb 2010, 23:38
I was lucky enough that in a previous role I regularly positioned empty at about 66 tons - take off never failed to put a grin from ear to ear. She truly is an overpowered beauty, and for any flight up to 6 maybe 7 hours, I'd always love to be on the 757 over many other aircraft!

It was a visit to to the FD of a MON B757 (G-DRJC for the spotters / enthusiasts!) in 1989 that made me want to be a pilot - how lucky do I feel to not just realise that ambition, but to fly the very type that kicked the desire off!?!?!

Anyway back to Jet2.com before I also take the thread off course...

Edited to add: Now found a picture of her:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3095/3161266194_e6793a9298_b.jpg

smudgethecat
4th Feb 2010, 11:16
I know what you mean , went on a quick air test a while ago on a seven five, three of us on board, 8 tons of fuel and it was due a full power take off check , very impressive

al446
4th Feb 2010, 11:37
All I can say is - You lucky, lucky bar stewards.

Hogg
4th Feb 2010, 11:44
its o n l y a plane:ok:

smudgethecat
4th Feb 2010, 11:57
Yeah, but its got the the best aero engines ever the RB 211 on each wing ,which makes it a bit special

Airbus321-200
4th Feb 2010, 12:29
It's not just a plane!!!!

It's a BEAST!!!! Best engine sound i've ever heard!! DC-10 being 2nd!

twdukflyer
4th Feb 2010, 13:45
Hiya

New to the forum but been reading with interest for a while now....

Just recently booked my first Jet2 flight to Madeira for July which I believe is a new route... any indication what type of aircraft this is going to be?

Cheers!

MUFC_fan
4th Feb 2010, 13:55
737-300.

Enjoy!:ok:

My 2000th post!:}

twdukflyer
4th Feb 2010, 14:17
:D

Cool, thanks for quick reply. Wasn't sure as I think its 757 to Tenerife?

MUFC_fan
4th Feb 2010, 14:25
Tenerife from MAN is a 757 yes, however it is a 733 from BLK so it can be done with either.

The 757s are very busy during the summer months on the Spanish, Greek, Turkish and Israeli routes - I think it would be an over kill for FNC - 733 will suit it perfectly.

Also note that TOM have a 757 flying out on the same route only 25 minutes later.

Ian Brooks
4th Feb 2010, 14:33
MUFC
You must have a lot of spare time on your handshttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

Many years ago I flew on B732 non stop ex MAN to Tenerife and returned non stop
It was with Britannia on the Gulf Air B732 they leased one year.

Ian B on a mere 437http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/bah.gif

MUFC_fan
4th Feb 2010, 14:43
Sitting at work can get a little boring! ;)

BOH based Palmair were operating a similar aircraft on the Canary routes up until last year when the company supplying the aircraft went bust. Now they operate the larger 733.

twdukflyer
4th Feb 2010, 15:06
Yeah TOM flight 25mins earlier was £150 more for 2 adults and a child... never been with Jet2 before, wasn't overly impressed with First Choice or TOM on previous flights from BHX to FNC so we'll see!

cherrylock
4th Feb 2010, 15:39
Smudge, how do you get to go on an air test? is it just a matter of writing to the airline ,my hubby is forty in a few weeks and being a bit of a spotter he would love that sounds so interesting, i assume they letyou sit in the spare seat in the cockpit

dwshimoda
4th Feb 2010, 17:47
Cherrylock,

Out of the question I'm afraid - unless he is pilot / engineer / CAA inspector or a few other occupations. The flightdeck just isn't available nowadays sadly. (Note - this is not trying to start a whole new debate on FD access!)

I think you'll find Smudge is an engineer - hence he would essential for the test. It would also be exactly that - a test - hence having a member of public on board would be even more of a no-no.

Maybe you could look to get him a simulator flight instead - not quite the same, but great fun (when it's not your LPC/OPC!) and he would get to fly as well. Just a thought...

DW.

purplehelmet
4th Feb 2010, 18:31
cherrylock.
city airport manchester (aka barton) do pleasure flights,wont be on a jet though just a small 2/4 seater prop job,great fun though think its about 80 quid:ok:..

cherrylock
5th Feb 2010, 07:11
Thanks very much both of you for your kind replies, i will look into both suggestions:ok:

Groundloop
5th Feb 2010, 08:21
BOH based Palmair were operating a similar aircraft on the Canary routes up until last year when the company supplying the aircraft went bust. Now they operate the larger 733.

Actually, it's an every so slightly larger ( + 10 inches) 735!

smudgethecat
5th Feb 2010, 10:05
hi cherry, as dwshimoda rightly states the chances of joe public getting a trip on the flight deck are sadly almost nil these days, you have to have good reason to be there, a real pity because if your interested in aircraft its a great experience , however i dont know about the cost but theres a A320/1 sim in stockport which isnt i think that far from you, we used to use it for getting checked out for engine running when i worked at manchester and normally got to "fly" it afterwards, great fun (even though i havent yet managed to land the thing without ending up in a smoking hole) it might be worth contacting them, not to sure where in stockport it is, im not from the area and we always got slots in the middle of the night, however i think its somewhere near the chedlle area

Groundloop
5th Feb 2010, 12:35
but theres a A320/1 sim in stockport which isnt i think that far from you,

If you are referring to the Alteon sims the centre closed at the end of December and the sims are being moved elsewhere.

chiglet
5th Feb 2010, 19:48
cherrylock,
There are "Pukka" Simulator rides availabe, both civil and military :ok:

PrivateInvestor
8th Feb 2010, 16:15
I wonder if I could butt in on your deliberations. I have, over the past few months built up a good sized shareholding in Dart, in fact I am now probably the largest private shareholder after the Boss. I have followed your threads hoping to see what the team that matters most - the pilots - thinks about jet2 and Dart Group management. The stockmarket puts a very low valuation on Dart, yet they seem well managed. Any thoughts?

DADDY-OH!
9th Feb 2010, 10:36
I would say they are undervalued if the share price of 48.5p is based upon an estimated value of £68 million.

In Jet2.com alone, they have a sizeable fleet of aircraft valued at IMHO:

14 x B737-300 148 seat Pax only- £2 million each = £28 million
7 x B737-300 QC Pax/Freight Convertibles- £3 million each= £21 million
8 x B757-200 235 seat Pax aircraft- £5 million each = £40 million

Therefore, the aircraft alone are worth at least £89 million, add to that their holding of spares, the simulators, the Jet2.com brand, property, slot allocations, the Fowler Coolchain company, network & assets... £68 million seems very, very cheap.
:ok:

purplehelmet
10th Feb 2010, 13:04
hmm!
is it just me that seem's to think that thats an odd question for a major investor to be asking on a rumour network?

theloudone
10th Feb 2010, 13:31
purplehelmet

You beat me to it, a very odd question.

purplehelmet
10th Feb 2010, 14:15
a bit mythical if you ask me.:hmm:

no sponsor
11th Feb 2010, 20:32
We don't own any simulators. We have a contract with OAA, and will shortly use the simulators for both the 733 and 757 at Woodford, near Manchester. We currently only use the 733 there, and the 757 was recently installed. 1 757 is leased, and 1 733 is also leased.

I would sell all your shares tomorrow, and drive the price down, so that I can pick up a few more at 15p!

PrivateInvestor
15th Feb 2010, 13:24
Oh dear. So you think I'm a fraud. I wonder how I can get you to beleive that I have 1 million ordinary shares in this company. I have spent my life in business, a number far larger than Dart, and in my retirement I spend my time investing my ill-gotten gains using such skills as I have acquired. One thing I learned early is that better information leads to better decisions and sometimes unconventional sources of fact and opinion can be very helpful. So believe me I am real. I first came onto this site when Flyglobespan got dished by it's credit card processor and I wanted to see whether Dart used the same one given that its share price dived in sympathy. I found from this site that it didn't use them, so decided you guys were savvy and useful. I will come back (if you'll have me)periodically for your views if anyone will be kind enough to give any. I am a Chartered Accountant by training and my analysis is that this company is undervalued but the stockmarket has an uncanny knack of getting things right so I am cautious.

theloudone
16th Feb 2010, 11:52
PrivateInvestor
I think fraud is a little strong, aviation is a fickle thing at times, and as you are aware Globespan and other recent companies are a good example how fragile this industry can be.
I and many others believe, still dont think we are out of the woods yet when it comes to job losses.I agree with your reasoning over the information flow, but the last thing this industry needs is another airline going under.
Your career path clearly gives you more insight into the stockmarket and its workings,lets hope the stockmarket is wrong on this occasion.

purplehelmet
16th Feb 2010, 14:05
first of all no one called you a fraud.
second i stand by what i first said thats its an odd set of questions to ask on a plane spotters rumour site,maybe its just the way your post comes across to me.
i.e. is dart group a good company? um i think i would have looked long and hard at that before i invested any of my money,what kind of answer were you expecting? yes its brilliant or no its crap either way how does that help you?
you have followed the threads to see what the team that matters most the pilots think about jet2 and dart group.with all due respect to all pilots why do you think they matter most.(there is no i in team).sorry but why do you give a rats ass what the employees think about the company as long as you get a good return on your investment,again some will say its crap some will say its brilliant.
if i was to invest my piggybank money i dont think id look on here for any advice.
p.s. i hardly think that 1million shares is being cautious or am i just poor:(

Rob Courtney
16th Feb 2010, 15:31
Are Jet2 using a 737-3 on the Reus route this year?

Rob