PDA

View Full Version : Why the secret ?

captplaystation
4th Feb 2010, 12:54
Interesting to see Brookfield advertising for "737 Capt's for a European airline APR-OCT 2010/2011" on flightglobal.com

Strangely :hmm: , the experience requirements match exactly what is demanded on the Ryanair website.
Well, no big surprises there then , as Ryanair are the only one (apart from Turkish) doing much recruitment in Europe, and many Ryanair "employees" are contracted through Brookfield, but why the big secret ? easier surely (stop calling me Shirley) to just specify that Ryanair want to extend the nowadays slightly more "seasonal" mix of work on offer, by actually taking guys only for this period.
On the bright side, could this remove the justification for compulsory unpaid leave each winter for the current workforce, not that they ever felt the need to "justify" it anyhow :oh:

FlyingOfficerKite
4th Feb 2010, 14:09
This increasingly common move towards seasonal working must be counter-productive and a blight on the industry.

Few 'middle of the road' professionals want seasonal working and it is not the norm in other industries.

I appreciate that the airline industry is one on its own in some respects regarding working practices, but the majority of people are not accustomed to irregular working hours AND irregular periods of work. It is one thing working 'part-time' but quite another working on a seasonal basis - and with the insecurity of 'contract' employment.

If salaries were comparable for 'seasonal' as opposed to 'full-time' working then MAYBE fair enough. But to expect highly experienced pilots to work for half-pay make a career as an airline pilot unsustainable.

There will obviously be those (maybe older pilots) who appreciate this mode of working as there always has been, but provided the arrangement does not become de rigueur for individual airlines perhaps it will work.

The question I suppose is - is this a long-term strategy or just an opportunist advantage taken by certain airlines to mitigate costs in the recession. Or, yet again, an opportunity to introduce working practices which otherwise would not be accepted and is therefore the thin end of the wedge?

For pilots to enter the profession or an individual airline on the understanding that it is likely that seasonal working is, if not compulsory, a distinct possibility will not sit well with the majority of pilots.

I might have been amiable to part-time working, particularly as I got older and children left home, mortgage paid off etc, but not as a younger pilot trying to establish themselves with a mortgage, wife and family.

If pilots do not want the part-time, seasonal 'low-cost' airline lifestyle, but cannot achieve a position with other carriers for whatever reason, then there could be a lot of disappointed people in the longer term.

Maybe I'm wrong and this is not the way the majority of the industry will go and everyone will accept the working practices currently being introduced by the low cost carriers?

The majority of comments in respect of the recruiting drive of Jet2.com are 'It's not great, but better than the dole', rather than 'great, thanks for the job, this is obviously the way forward'!

What a state to be in.

KR

FOK

Microburst2002
4th Feb 2010, 20:28
:D
great post indeed, FOK!

LAX
5th Feb 2010, 06:09
There are already a number of (floating) brk captains that have an arrangement to fly for RYR in the summer and then take the rest of the year off to go lie on a beach etc. This is nothing new.

Me thinks not a bad lifestyle choice if it suits you.