PDA

View Full Version : 3g mobile modem

mad_jock
4th Feb 2010, 12:44
Just a solution to a problem i was having that might interest travellers.

I have a N96 and several pay as you go sim cards decided to get a data bundle in one country.

Now everything worked fine connecting via blue tooth to the laptop etc.

Problems started when registering to the network.

Kept on getting a PPP failure which Microsoft tech said was a password or multi link issue.

Turns out that even when you save the network settings it doesn't change the packet access point on a Nokia.

In the end after going through nearly every menu on the N96. I thought h'mm access point 02.co.uk that won't work here. Changed it and am now running fine.

spannersatcx
4th Feb 2010, 15:59
I have an O2 blackberry and can't get on BBC live video as it says it's only available for people in the UK!! Contacted BBC and they say it's because O2 route via overseas servers, so that may be why you think you are using o2 uk, when in reality you're probably closer to the server than I am,.:eek:

mad_jock
4th Feb 2010, 22:00
Its an access point issue. Just being a numb nuts not remembering all the things to change when you butcher a mobile between netwroks.

I should have though of it sooner to be honest. I only posted because it might help a ppruner out having packet issues.

For all IP issues to do with location I recommend witopia.net VPN services.

Allows you to choose your country of Internet browsing location at the click of a button for 40 quid per year.

Want to watch the latest house episode on fox one click and your in New York, then you want to BBCi the lastest topgear one click and your "in" Manchester. Its the way forward to stick 2 fingers up at the regulators.