PDA

View Full Version : Training in Canada or Europe

LA-250
4th Feb 2010, 06:11
I am an EU citizen but currently living in Canada for some longer time. I have my PPL and am considering continuing for Professional Training, eventually flying for some airliner but will fly anything else before reaching that goal. In Europe the high cost of training always held me back pursuing professional flight training, especially now that the aviation industry is far from booming everywhere.

Here in Canada flight training is much cheaper than in Europe and when I take a look at the cost of training here I am almost tempted going for training here. I hold a degree and have a full time job here which I would be able to change to part-time if I decide to go for flight training here.

But, I realize I am not a permanent resident of Canada so finding a flying job in Canada will be difficult and I have to go at least through the process of applying for permanent residency.

I have not really an idea how a Canadian CPL is recognized anywhere else in the world compared to a JAA/EASA CPL/ATPL. I know that for a flying job in Europe I need to do all the conversions but how's the rest of the world, like Asia for example?

Anyway, would it be worth going for modular training here in Canada or is it wiser to go back to Europe and go for the more expensive route?

paco
4th Feb 2010, 07:07
The Canadian licence is an ICAO one and therefore reaches a certain standard. It is also looked upon much more favourably than many others! :)
In fact you can exchange your Canadian licence for an FAA one directly (helicopters as well soon!)

As a product of the Canadian system myself I can assure you that it is indeed up to scratch, and more.

Why not do the Canadian licence? You are there anyway and the hours will count at least. As for schools, depending on where you are you could try Harv's Air at Steinbach in Manitoba (Hi Adam!) or ProIFR at Boundary Bay, and Calgary Flying Club. I'm sure there are others but they are the only ones I have direct experience of.

Good luck

phil

v6g
4th Feb 2010, 14:47
Remember that flight training in Canada is fully deductible from your federal and provincial tax returns - that's one of aviation's best kept secrets.

But, I realize I am not a permanent resident of Canada so finding a flying job in Canada will be difficult and I have to go at least through the process of applying for permanent residency.

Depends on your current status - but mostly correct. The one exception to that rule is if you did your instructor rating and planned to work as an instructor at the same school for up to 2 years thereafter. If you were to (quit your job) and then convert your work permit over to a study permit to do the instructor rating, the study permit now allows you to work for up to 2 years "on campus". For the purposes of flight instructors, "on campus" has been determined to mean "on airport" so you can work as an instructor for that time. But by that time you might as well get Permanent Residency.

Working in Canada while training modular is probably the cheapest yet highest quality ways of getting your license anywhere in the world. Converting your Canadian CPL-MIFR to JAR will cost you ~£12,000 and take 6-12 months but the whole deal can still work out similar to doing modular in the UK, if not less.

paco
4th Feb 2010, 16:01
v6g Remember that flight training in Canada is fully deductible from your federal and provincial tax returns - that's one of aviation's best kept secrets

But the school has to be registered!

phil

LA-250
5th Feb 2010, 21:14
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated! Also good to know that the flight training might be deductible from federal and provincial tax returns, that can save some pennies to say the least :)

I'm here in the Vancouver area so will take a closer look at ProIFR and some of the others and see what they have to offer. Thanks again!