PDA

View Full Version : You don't see this at International Airports very often

India Four Two
4th Feb 2010, 02:58
Yesterday, while waiting for my flight at Hanoi Noi Bai airport, I was entertained by at least six VNAF Mig 21s taking off and landing (using braking parachutes). I have often seen them in their open hangars on the far side, but this was the first time I had seen a Mig 21 flying.

Spectactularly noisy :ok: and one had a reheat problem during takeoff, causing a 5 m flame out of the tailpipe.

The sortie lengths were VERY short - it reminded me of watching Lightnings depart and return at Binbrook :)

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me.

irishair2001
5th Feb 2010, 18:57
:ok: Had a similar experience in Constanta , Romania in 1973 ,while waiting to board a Tarom AN-24 to Bucharest Baneasa,i counted 16 Mig 21s on the ground and taking off and landing and as you said the sorties did not seem to last very long

stepwilk
5th Feb 2010, 19:37
An acquaintance of mine (Dean Martin, KBTV) owned a MiG-21, and whenever he flew, he'd phone the tower first and say, "I will be flying in 45 minutes. I will return 30 minutes after takeoff, I will join downwind at 250 knots, I will turn base at 200 knots, and I will NOT accept a waveoff. I will be landing out of that approach."

He didn't have enough fuel to do anything else.

India Four Two
7th Feb 2010, 13:20
He didn't have enough fuel to do anything else.Stephan, that's a great anecdote - declaring Bingo fuel before takeoff.

Clearly the Vietnamese pilots were in much the same situation. I saw an Airbus taxi past the terminal out of sight and then not depart until about thirty minutes later, after the Migs had landed.

I've just got home after a quick trip to Jakarta and Singapore and was able to look up a site that I remembered, showing the hangars at Hanoi and some great photos of Migs operating at Danang:

Vietnamese Air Force (http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/Misc/VietnameseAirForce/index.html)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/Mig21WithDrogue.jpg

Proplinerman
27th Feb 2010, 17:19
There's a stack of Mig 21s preserved in Hungary. Here's one at the excellent museum at Szolnok.

JetPhotos.Net Photo » 3945 Hungary - Air Force Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 Fishbed by Michael Blank (http://tinyurl.com/ybecge9)

Capot
27th Feb 2010, 18:32
At Abu Dhabi in the '70's it didn't do to be approaching ahead of a Mirage on its way back home; they were usually on 3-4 minutes left, or less, by the time they got on to finals.

Or so an ADAF pilot told me once over a beer, to explain why I had been told to orbit well away from the approach for 10 minutes when returning VFR from Dubai, late one night, in a friend's Cherokee.

KeMac
28th Feb 2010, 06:58
That is interesting about the ADDF Mirages. I knew a number of the IAL ATCOs in the 70s and I recall a story about a complaint being made by BA after a VC 10 on approach was overtaken by a Mirage to land ahead of it. I remember they would regularly come out after the morning rush of commercial aircraft and take off in echelon one after the other lined up down the runway.

ian16th
1st Mar 2010, 10:49
At Ivato International, Antananarivo, Madagascar, there are a fair number of derelict looking Migs', 19's I think. Parked under a carport type shelter. They don't look as if they'll fly again.

I was a pax on a commercial flight JNB to RUN that staged through Ivato International and was surprised to see the Migs. On the return flight I organised myself a port side window seat and had my camera available. I have some poor quality analogue video, taken close to dusk, through a distorting B-737 window.

18-Wheeler
1st Mar 2010, 13:15
On the occasional trip to Dhaka, Bangladesh, I would often see Mig-21's flying around locally at the main airport.