PDA

View Full Version : Biafra

Four Wings
3rd Feb 2010, 22:47
It's forty years since the end of the Nigerian Civil War (Biafra).
Shouldn't somebody be recording the story of the Sao Tome / Cotonou airlifts into Uli Ihiala, and those who died in that extraordinary effort?

pzu
4th Feb 2010, 00:10
Shadows - Airlift and Airwar in Biafra and Nigeria 1967 - 1970 by Michael I Draper with forward by Frederick Forsyth ISBN 1 902109635 published 1999 available at the S American river for £29.99

Not sure if that covers your point if interest

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

compton3bravo
5th Feb 2010, 16:51
There was 60 minute TV film made a few years ago by a Dutch company I think with Frederick Forsyth (who was a TV jounralist at the time and flew on a Super Connie from Portugal to Fernando Po or Sao Taome) detailing some of his exploits. The programme also featured the Irish priest who was the ´´fixer´´ for many of the mercy flights. I think the programme was shown on Channel 4 in the UK and probably on Discovery or National Geographic as well. I am sure it must be available on DVD somewhere. Hope this helps.
Just remembered the TV programme was called Jesus Christ Airlines!

CR2
5th Feb 2010, 19:38
Tony Jonsson's book dealt with Biafra. Ex CLX Chief Pilot; Icelandic gentleman.

T-21
5th Feb 2010, 20:42
Father Byrne who was the prime ambassador in organising the food airlift is in Dublin and wrote a paperback "Airlift To Biafra" by Columba Press,Dublin 1997.

bigal1941
6th Feb 2010, 11:06
Was he the only Icelandic gentleman to fly with the RAF during
World War 2, or were there others? I met him some 10 years ago at a friends 60th birthday party and it was mentioned that he flew in the
B of B and I have to say that he looked far to young or may be I am getting far too old. Alan

sled dog
6th Feb 2010, 13:08
I endorse what CR2 said, a real gentleman. I have a signed copy of the book he wrote " Dancing in the skies ", which recounts his RAF carreer.etc.
After training he joined 111 Sqn in September 1941, remaing there until March 1943. He finished the war with eight confirmed `kills` and was the onlY Icelender to serve in the RAF during the war. Sadly Tony passed away a few years ago. A true Viking gentleman. His book may still be available from Grub Street.

The AvgasDinosaur
10th Feb 2010, 12:30
Quote from CR2Tony Jonsson's book dealt with Biafra. Ex CLX Chief Pilot; Icelandic gentleman.
His Biafran exploits are in part 2 of his biography "Lucky 13".(ISBN 9979-60-425-5) Though getting hold of a copy is somewhat problematic as it was a limited publication by Air Atlanta / Cargolux to mark his retirement. Though legend has it there is at least one pallet full stored at a large European cargo hub (long haul). Axel Duch who also flew into Biafra on the airlift has recently been seeking a publisher for the English edition of his memoirs, his native Danish one is held in high regard by those who have read it.THE AIRLIFT TO BIAFRA - The TRUE Story (http://theairlifttobiafra.com/) . I believe that an Australian pilot who also flew on the airlift has written and published a book on it (or at the very least a chapter in his book), and would dearly like to know his name and the title.
In case you are wondering 13 was the number of Tony Jonsson's Icelandic pilots licence.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David
Shadows is an extremely good read.

RampTramp
10th Feb 2010, 13:52
I managed to get hold of a copy of 'Lucky 13' through contacts at Cargolux so you could try writing to CV to see if they'll sell you one. I can thoroughly recommend both Tony's books and agree with all the comments, he was a real gentleman & I feel honoured to have known him!

Dave Clarke Fife
11th Feb 2010, 18:50
I remember coming out of the terminal at Sao Tome over a decade ago and on the left hand side were two of Connies in a fairly decrepit state along with what appeared to be the remains of a small two seat jet - fuselage only no wings. The Connies had very faded paintwork but I seem to recall the words of some Canadian church group written down the side. Having checked on Google Earth I see they are still in situ.

Yobbo
11th Feb 2010, 19:37
The 4 Connies were x Nordair a/c. They were purchased and operated by Can Air Relief , a church organization

oligoe
11th Feb 2010, 20:28
My uncle flew the whole Biafra airlift on DC-6 and C-97 (one of them still in good shape in Pima Museum in Tucson), I heard incredible storys....

The AvgasDinosaur
11th Feb 2010, 20:55
Quote Dave Clarke FifeI remember coming out of the terminal at Sao Tome over a decade ago and on the left hand side were two of Connies in a fairly decrepit state along with what appeared to be the remains of a small two seat jet - fuselage only no wings. The Connies had very faded paintwork but I seem to recall the words of some Canadian church group written down the side. Having checked on Google Earth I see they are still in situ.
They are both L1049H models c/n 4831 CF-NAL and c/n 4832 CF-NAM. Titles were/are Canairelief and Jointchurchaid. They have been there since Jan 1970.
Hope it helps,
Be lucky
David

CR2
11th Feb 2010, 21:25
I used to have Lucky 13, bought it while I was still at CLX. Lord know what happened to it, probably lent in to somebody. :hmm:

I had the pleasure of TJ's acquaintance. A true gentleman.

The AvgasDinosaur
12th Feb 2010, 07:47
Quote by CR2
I used to have Lucky 13, bought it while I was still at CLX. Lord know what happened to it, probably lent in to somebody..........................
I still have mine, it is not for loan:= however I know a lot of folk who are very desirous of obtaining one.
Be lucky
David

Conc
12th Feb 2010, 07:59
Michael Drapers book is excellent and I was also involved in the filming of the documentary. Fascinating stories including a couple of characters it turned out I knew.

Metro man
12th Feb 2010, 09:20
May be something of interest here Jack Malloch :: Tango Romeo [The life and times of Jack Malloch] (http://www.jackmalloch.com/) ,whilst not totally focused on Biafra it does touch on it.

Dave Clarke Fife
12th Feb 2010, 10:31
Quote Dave Clarke Fife
They are both L1049H models c/n 4831 CF-NAL and c/n 4832 CF-NAM. Titles were/are Canairelief and Jointchurchaid. They have been there since Jan 1970.
Hope it helps,
Be lucky
David

Thanks for that info Dave...........in fact this whole thread has inspired me to purchase some books and read up about the whole Biafra incident!!

carholme
12th Feb 2010, 11:04
When I was in stationed Nigeria, (Port Harcourt), I heard many interesting stories about the efforts of Gustaf Von Rosen. I first heard of him when I was in Ethiopia in the early '70s.

Here is a link:

Carl Gustaf von Rosen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_von_Rosen)

Regards

carholme

Four Wings
12th Feb 2010, 19:49
Many thanks for all your info. I wonder if there are any photos around? I must explain my interest - I was Supplies and Transport Manager for Shell products distribution in Nigeria throughout the Civil War (today job title would be Director of Logistics!). We supplied bitumen in drums from our plant at Lagos to Cotonou from where it was flown in by the DC6s to Uli ihiala for the extension of the road into a runway with dispersal points etc. At Easter 1968 my wife and I were in Cotonou watching and helping loading the standard lift of CSM and Heineken when we were offered a lift in for the fun of it - to my eternal regret I refused as I knew I'd be sacked on the spot if Shell ever heard about it).
Weapons were flown in from Sao Tome except for the French Navy Neptune from Cotonou with French arms (they flew in the radar shadow of a DC6 to avoid the Feds).
The Cotonou DC6s were maintained by Field Aircraft Services with a polyglot air crews. From memory they were rated at 20,000lbs cargo and normally lifted 24,000lbs. Watching takeoffs was heart stopping - at dusk very long run then out over the sea barely climbing (anyway they kept low to cross the Nigerian coastline below radar if possibl). upt ot three flights per night (on bonuses!)
I was also responsible for fuel supplies to the ICRC aid road convoys (and to the Fed Army and Air Force - SA mercenary pilots mostly), so immediately at the end of the war I drove into Biafra and saw Uli Ihiala (and the other military only airstrip) to suss out fuel aid routes (getting road tankers etc).
I was moved by the little cemetery of some 20 crew at the end of the runway - shortly afterwards the Fed Army bulldozed it away. Driving onto the 'runway' you went through the fuselage of a DC4? that had crashed and the two halves simply pulled apart. There were burnt out Connies etc on the dispersal points. But I had no camera, so no photos.
By the way, the C97s were never used. They were flown into Lagos by the US Government at the end of the war with the idea of replacing the aid flights, as 700,000 people were dying of starvation. But the Feds refused permission. They needed 115/145 which wqe didn't have in Nigeria but there was some in Cotonou so i organised a 'reverse lift' of road tankers to truck it into Lagos (that took some organising in 24 hours I can tell you - talk about bureaucracy!).
So I had tremendous admiration for those crews - it was 'Fate is the Hunter' type story.

The AvgasDinosaur
13th Feb 2010, 07:58
Quote by four wings .............By the way, the C97s were never used. They were flown into Lagos by the US Government at the end of the war with the idea of replacing the aid flights, as 700,000 people were dying of starvation.........
The C-97Gs most certainly were used, by both Joint Church Aid ( U.S. registered) and Red Cross ( Swiss registry) In fact one JCA aircraft was destroyed on 9th May 1969 by the Nigerian AF whilst landing at Uli N52679 c/n 16710 ex 52-2679. One further JCA aircraft was lost on 26th September 1969 on final approach to Uli with 5 fatalities 1 English and 4 American aircraft N52676 c/n 16707 ex 52-2676.
For further details of flights by number by weight of cargo carried by type etc buy the Shadows book, it is all there in the appendices.
Hope it helps clarify matters
Be lucky
David

Four Wings
13th Feb 2010, 15:12
Many thanks. I stand corrected! Just why I was interested in getting more input as I only saw things from one side of the country - although I did have the experience of being one of the first foreigners to see Uli Ihiala after the war. Now for the Shadows book......

SE-Fred
15th Feb 2010, 09:09
Have a look here: Biafran Airlift (http://www.friendsofnigeria.org/StoriesNPictures/Yellow%20Sun/YellowSun-Koren.htm)

ARCO (Bermuda) Ltd was one of airlines of the (in)famous Hank Warton. Here is the story about ARCOs Biafran ops told by a Swedish Capt:

Lae - inte bara en stad på Nya Guinea - ARCO i Biafraliften (http://lae.blogg.se/2009/november/arco-i-biafraliften.html)

http://lae.blogg.se/images/2009/karta-jca_59615545.jpg

The AvgasDinosaur
15th Feb 2010, 19:08
Four wings check your PMs please
Be lucky
David

biafranbaby
24th Feb 2010, 09:38
Four Wings makes an interesting recollection of French Navy Neptunes ferrying arms from Cotonou to Biafra. As the author of "Shadows", I spent many years (on and off) researching the airlift and gained access to many sources in France as well as speaking with many of the aircrew who took part. I never came across the Neptune story and would dearly love to know more. Avgas Dionosaur makes some very kind comments about the book and it is shame that the publisher went belly-up although I did manage to secure a stock beforehand.
You are correct, of course, that after the conflict Uli has a dismembered DC-4. This was one of Jack Malloch's DC-4s that came to grief when it turned onto Uli strip to take off - in the wrong direction and simply ran out of runway!
When we were making "Jesus Christ Airlines" we made a speedy visit to film the former Uli strip and amazingly there were still bits of engine in the adjacent bush - and that was 30 years after the event. The war museum at Umuahia, however, contains a fascinating collection of aircraft and relics. We also spent a considerable number of hours interviewing Hank Warton in Miami but in the end none of that was ever used in the documentary because the Miami setting was considered overtly opulent for a film about Third World conflict and poverty. Interestingly the film rights have since been acquired by a leading British producer and maybe one day the story will appear in Hollywood format. Who knows?
Meanwhile do tell me more about the French Neptunes; call me on [email protected]

The AvgasDinosaur
24th Feb 2010, 16:41
Thanks for your great input Biafranbaby.
I wonder if the presence of the Neptune could have been a French government attempt to locate the Federal Nigerian gun boats for the benefit of French / French sponsored arms/ relief flights, or even to assess their vulnerability to jamming ? Just a thought.
Be lucky
David

Four Wings
26th Feb 2010, 12:11
Sorry, your contact comes up as 'invalid hash' try a PM?

As for the Neptune - if you can find anybody from Field Aircraft Services (who, as I posted before, did the ground servicing at Cotonou) they could verify it. I can only say that one time I was there I saw a Neptune take off immediately after a DC6 and that is what I was told - carrying arms, and therefore surely actually landing at Uli. If only I had asked more questions when I was in ex Biafra - unfortunately I was too busy trying to get fuel supplies in. There must be some Ibo people who will remember it (all my friends were from the Fed side).
On that score, did you know that the post-war relief helicopters lifting supplies locally were from Arizona Helicopters (aka Air America / CIA)?
I went berserk one day with one of their pilots.
Getting in fuel was supremely difficult before the Niger bridge was temporarily repaired - I had to do it by small trucks carrying drums, going across on a ferry-barge. All our road tankers were 32-36 ton size. Small conventional trucks were at a premium and my good friend Allen Jones who ran the ICRC logistics (got an MBE for it) and I used to share the few we could get. Using helicopters locally was crazy but what the Western media/public opinion wanted - it looked dramatic but every drum of fuel was one less crate of food.
Then this pilot told me that when he got tired of the heat he went up to 5,000 feet, opened the door and cooled off. I could have killed him.

The AvgasDinosaur
5th Mar 2010, 18:14
I believe that an Australian pilot who also flew on the airlift has written and published a book on it (or at the very least a chapter in his book), and would dearly like to know his name and the title.

Anyone with any suggestions as to who this might be. I would be most appreciative.
Thanks in anticipation for your time and trouble.
Be lucky
David

biafranbaby
7th Mar 2010, 21:19
I think the book that you are thinking of is, if I recollect corrrectly, "Roll Back The Skies" by Verdun Polley who sadly passed away just a few years ago. I have a copy of it somewhere. He helped me with "Shadows" and sent over photocopy extracts of his impressive log-book.

Vern was also involved in ferrying Pakistan brand-new L-1049s from Burbank to Pakistan in the 1950s and was later involved in a Pakistan gun-running operation to the Yemen, flying L-1049Hs. Great guy and sadly missed.

1970s Spotter
9th Mar 2010, 08:41
A book well worth searching out which covers MiG ops in Biafra plus a whole load more of misc. old-prop flying around Africa in the 70s and 80s is "The Cross-Eyed Spitting Cobra" by Noel Vonhoff.
I had to order it from Australia but it was worth the wait and every penny.
MZ

ocnus
10th Mar 2010, 17:15
There were number of Rhodies in and out of Uli - Alastair Wicks for one and Air Trans Africa had the aircraft. The Sao Tome run was largely ammunition provided from South Africa. The Lisbon-Fernando Po-Uli run had food, aid and heavier equipment. It was fairly safe (especially when they covered up the barrels after landing) as the Egyptian pilots wouldn't descend to lower than 25,00 feet. Hank Wharton flew out on his Super Connie with loads of Nigerian currency bound for Zurich. He lost a few when they had to land in Togo. There were plenty of familiar faces in Uli (Congo Muller, Rolf Steiner, etc.) from the earlier humanitarian assistance given in Elizabethville, Albertville and Coquilhatville in the Congo. The money all came via Jaques Foccart in France and the co-ordination from Caritas guys from Rome. It was a very strange but memorable time.

The AvgasDinosaur
11th Mar 2010, 09:48
:eek:Found this in the cellar covered in cobwebs, it does go off on a bit of a war rant but some posts might be of interest.
http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/116835-nigerian-biafran-civil-war-2.html
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

The AvgasDinosaur
19th Mar 2010, 11:30
Quote by 1970s Spotter
A book well worth searching out which covers MiG ops in Biafra plus a whole load more of misc. old-prop flying around Africa in the 70s and 80s is "The Cross-Eyed Spitting Cobra" by Noel Vonhoff.
I have located a source for this book "in order to avoid the advertisement police" please PM me for details.
Be lucky
David

Limbo Line
8th Jun 2010, 21:15
Biafran Baby, I loved your book. An ace Biafran pilot confirmed the Annabelle codes and most of your details. Is there any evidence anywhere that the priests aided or abbetted weapon smuggling into Biafra. And whatever happened to the ther crazy Mercy Mission crew?

T J Johansen
27th Jun 2010, 22:40
Biafran Baby, I loved your book. An ace Biafran pilot confirmed the Annabelle codes and most of your details. Is there any evidence anywhere that the priests aided or abbetted weapon smuggling into Biafra. And whatever happened to the ther crazy Mercy Mission crew?
I have to agree with Limbo Line. Great reading! Bought the book shortly after it was published. I have an interest in the subject ever since meeting one of the Mig-17 pilots (he also flew B-26K, T-6, and T-28s in the Congo) years ago.

T J

Limbo Line
28th Jun 2010, 11:26
I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who's met any of the MiG pilots. Vonhoff, the Australian, was one of them. I am also interested in flight logs of the MiG and other pilots doing bombing or strafing runs in Biafra. Any ideas, leads, souces would be helpful.

T J Johansen
30th Jun 2010, 20:39
The guy has shared a lot of photos for Shadows. Even his log book. When I met him he was flying helicopters for the offshore industry. I guess he is retired by now. He was living in the UK, but as far as I remember he also owned a house in South Africa. He's very likely gone back there now.

T J

RampTramp
1st Jul 2010, 10:58
If memory serves, there was a South African captain in Transmeridian, Jimmy Webb, who flew MIGs for the Nigerians but I have no idea where might be now.

T J Johansen
4th Jul 2010, 00:34
I just found out about this book. Written by one of the Biafran pilots who flew during the conflict. Should be interesting to get the story from one of the locals. I really need to get hold of this one.

:: The Last Flight Book :: (http://thelastflightbook.net/index.php)

T J

Bigt
26th Jul 2010, 08:13
Copy of Micheal Drapers book on a certain popular auction website. I found it a good read a while ago..............

The AvgasDinosaur
26th Jul 2010, 10:06
Is also available from the author. P.M. me for details to avoid the advertisement police if it helps.
Be lucky
David

JW411
26th Jul 2010, 13:54
I also saw it advertised at a reasonable price on the air-britain website.

Revnetwork
27th Jul 2010, 16:30
TJ Johansen,

Thanks for pointing out this book written by a Biafran pilot and incidentally I'm in Lagos at the moment. So called the auther up he gave me directions to his address. He was waiting for me and it would have been a pleasure to have met him, but due to work commitments, sent my driver and just got the book less than 20 minutes ago and it looks like a keeper! It cost the equivalent of about 20 pounds sterling. Let me know by pm if you need a copy.

Fokkerwokker
27th Jul 2010, 17:20
Jimbo Webb well retired by now I expect although he was involved with G2/3s in JED, IIRC, certainly until about 10 years ago. I certainly guzzled some locally brewed ale with him when on a slip there at that time.

A Jack Palliser and John Driver also flew the Migs (both ex-RAF) and ISTR Jack ended up parking his cab on a road?

I think the chopper puke you are referring to was South African and flew out of the UAE at some point on offshore work. First initial was A and am trying to recall his surname.

All a loooong time ago!

FW

The AvgasDinosaur
25th Apr 2019, 19:55
A few questions, please

1) Has anyone any details of Axel Dutch’s book especially an English translation of it ?
2) Has anyone collated a comprehensive of books by or about the guys who who actually flew into Biafra ?
3) Have any books been published in Nigeria published anything on the Biafran Airlift?
Thanks for your time and trouble.
Be lucky
David

1970s Spotter
28th Apr 2019, 12:48
This book is quite interesting if you can get hold of it:
"Far Away in the Sky' by David L Koren

lotus1
28th Apr 2019, 18:42
After this terrible conflict finished there was a Dc7 parked up at manston around 71 with church aid painted on rumours it belonged to Hank Warton and was involved in this conflict

The AvgasDinosaur
29th Apr 2019, 13:31
If it had ‘Church Aid’ titles it is unlikely to be one of Warton’s craft. His were consistently unmarked often with bogus 5T-xxx registrations. If it had those titles it would almost certainly have been a DC6B not a Dc-7. The various church organisations used Icelandic or Swedish registered Dc-6 B or C-97 Stratocruisers either US or Swiss register. I think most of Warton’s aircraft retired to Basle after peace broke out.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

The AvgasDinosaur
29th Apr 2019, 18:39
After this terrible conflict finished there was a Dc7 parked up at manston around 71 with church aid painted on rumours it belonged to Hank Warton and was involved in this conflict
There were four Transair Sweden DC-7Bs used on the airlift when they finished all were returned to Malmo.
of the five DC-7CF used one crashed on approach to Uli, one was damaged on the ground at Uli and was subsequently bombed by Federal Nigerian Air Force, the other three were repatriated to Basle two were broken up there the one remaining aircraft was stored at Basle until moved to Geneva where it served the fire training unit as HB-SSA in an all white scheme.
Hope it helps
Be lucky
David

G-AHNL
9th May 2019, 21:47
On the subject of Douglas DC-6,s flown during the War in Nigeria (Biafra) thought some of you would be interested in the two that are very close to my heart as having work for BUA at SEN I dispatched & flew in both Airframes many times between 1960 & 1966. I do have a lot of images of both Airframes if anyone is interested’’’

HISTORY OF HCA, BUA, AIR FERRY, BALAIR, CONAIR DC-6 G-APNO / HB-IBS / C-GIBS.

Douglas DC-6A G-APNO (c/n 45531) Was the first of two Douglas DC-6,s supplied to Hunting-Clan Air Transport in September 1958 together with her sister ship G-APNP, G-APNO was transferred to BUA when the company was combined with all the other associated company’s which were to make up the new Airline and BUA continued to operate the HCA Africargo service taken over by the company in 1960 and also the MOS military contract to the Woomera rocket range in South Australia plus many other both Pax & Cargo Charters worldwide. Then in 1966 She was handed over to another Air Holdings company AIR FERRY before being sold to BALAIR in 1968 as HB-IBS with the intention of using both Airframes on the IRC (International Red Cross) relief flights into Biafra the Airframes were then repainted in IRC colours sporting a large IRC Red Cross on the vertical stabilizer it was by good fortune that November Oscar survived her considerable time on this contact as many A/C did not survive, At the end of the War She was ferried back to Basle give a major check and reconfigured back into Pax service and operated many flights with Balair until being sold on to Conair a Canadian Bug/Tanker sprayer airframe who were based in Abbotsfield BC, She was then registered as C-GIBS and converted and emerged as Conair’s Tanker 51 She has now been retired and last report of a month or so ago did not appear in a very good condition in the last picture taken in Fairbanks Alaska so I fear that it may not be too long before she is scrapped it is a shame as he has had an interesting career and served all her operators over the years well She did perform well and gave us all a good living.

HISTORY OF HCA, BUA, AIR FERRY, BALAIR, DC-6 G-APNP / HB-IBT..
Douglas DC-6A G-APNP (c/n 45532 ) was the second of the pair of aircraft delivered to Hunting Clan Airtransport 1i 1958 that would spend their entire service lives together until NP crashed during the Biafran Airlift. G-APNP was transferred to British United Airways in 1960 and nominally transferred to Manston-based Air Ferry (both Air Holdings-owned companies) in December 1965. However, the aircraft continued during the period 1960-1966 operating the twice weekly "Africargo" freight schedules to South Africa from Heathrow (LHR-JNB) in between visits to Southend for maintenance. The first sign of a change came on February 3 1966 when 'NP undertook crew training at Southend and Manston with Captain Wood in command. A brace of Britannia’s later replaced the DC-6A's on the "Africargo" services, and in Air Ferry service the aircraft were operated in passenger configuration on IT charter flights radiating from Manston to the Mediterranean and western Europe. Ad-hoc freight charters were operated, including assignments for Airwork from Bournemouth (Hurn). Air Ferry ceased all flying on October 31 1968, and G-APNP was sold to Balair for Red Cross work as HB-IBT. Flown initially to Castle Donnington, the DC-6A ferried onward to Southend on January 10 1969 and was delivered to Basle on the evening of January 11 in the hands of Captain Ahmad, who had delivered sistership G-APNO to Basle earlier in the day. Sadly, HB-IBT was written off on approach to Uli Airstrip on May 7 1969 Whilst delivering food aid (dried fish) with the tragic loss of all three crew members.

browndhc2
10th May 2019, 05:30
A fascinating thread.

G-AHNL thank you for posting information on the HCA DC6 sixes.I am saddened to hear that the ex'PNO is in poor condition after a long career. Always interested in seeing photographs of the "6" in British Service.

A couple of ex-Air Ferry pilots found employment on the airlift as mentioned in shadows and twilight of the pistons.

G-AHNL
10th May 2019, 12:14
browndhc2
Thanks for the reply one of the pilots who was with Air Charter Ltd when I joined the company in 1958 was Eddy Roocroft at the time he was on B-170 fleet and later on the C-54 & ATL-98 until he was
retrained on the DC-6 with BUA & later stayed with the 6's when the where transferred to Air Ferry then followed them to Balair via Transavia hense Biafra, He later came back to BAF on the ATL-98 after the war ended
I am afraid he passed on some years ago. Another ex Air Charter pilot was Alex Nicholl who unfortunatly lost His life whilst flying C-97 N52676 on the 26.09.69 on approch to ULI Strip, One other person who I knew from my ACL days was Flight Engineer Jock Chisholm when I joined the company he was F/E on our C-54 fleet its a shame but I do not know what happened to him after the war ended.

I will now attach pictures of our DC-6 G-APNO during her busy life will follow up later with pictures of NP later. I hope you find them intresting'''.https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x826/hca_hunting_clan0_douglas_dc6a_g_apno_lap_1958__f867235b95a9 e71f7ce37b253fd3b09aedad5352.jpg
G-APNO HCA LHR 1958
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1135x607/hunting_clan_douglas_dc_6_g_apno_lhr_aug_7th_1958_17574ee64c cd5b75757a1a808da9cb4a6fd75b4c.jpg
G-APNO HCA LHR 1958
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x682/british_united_dc_6c_g_apno_dusseldorf__818908357cf6401c565a 9a3c05a199f43b445548.jpg
G-APNO BUA DUSSELDORF
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/959x641/bua_dc_6_g_apno_cocus_islands__82feac1dda1543239fa4401c802ca 67340789a8d.jpg
G-APNO BUA COCUS ISLANDS ENROUTE TO ADELAIDE
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x620/air_ferry_dc_6a_g_apno_bsl_3__eca32f1e80c2c1128afdbac12d70b5 c08c14c056.jpg
G-APNO AF BASLE.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/999x581/air_ferry_douglas_dc_6a_g_apno_birmingham_international_elmd on_bhx_uk_england_c34f6a4f65feb90f5542382b786938501cf83730.j pg
G-APNO AF BIRMINGHAM.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/760x505/hb_ibs_ex_g_apno_2__366671f38296eec57fe3b620dd3b7e1c3665f7fb .jpg
HB-IBS BAIR BASLE
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/599x281/balair_dc_6_a_b_hb_ibs_basle_prior_to_dispatch_to_beafra_ex_ bua_hunting_clan_g_apno_2__1af6575a9cc43e7b2ef46804d27d9c5a1 478f426.jpg
HB-IBS BAIR BASLE PRIOR TO DEP TO BIAFRA
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1001x667/balair_dc_6_a_hb_ibs_abbotsford_oct_1982_prior_to_being_conv erted_to_tanker_51_ex_bua_hunting_clan_g_apno_e1634c965af217 5e28ab8ce2fbf07770581ac492.jpg
HB-IBS / C-GIBS BAIR / CONAIR AFTER DELIVERY TO ABBOTSFORD BC. PRIOR TO CONVERSTION.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1171x713/conair_dc6_c_gibs_ex_g_apno_7__7e93b6eaf7258ba6b7d103f3f1bc6 8300b64ae6c.jpg
C-GIBS AFTER A REPAINT MID 90'S
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x589/c_gibs_ex_hb_ibs_ex_g_apno_682371217a6fbf98ae7db4f6abadc23fe 4c3165d.jpg
C-GIBS JUST AFTER CONVERSTION ON STANBY AT ABBOTSFORD.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/848x544/conair_dc6_c_gibs_ex_g_apno_parked_at_fairbanks_alaska_airpo rt_14_days_ago_8_3__2eda5da41a61a170aa24a578f4ba7ed96916471b .jpg
C-GIBS PARKED AT FAIRBANKS AROUND ONE MONTH AGO.

browndhc2
10th May 2019, 13:57
Super pictures.

Phil Phillip was the other ex-Air Ferry pilot who took part in the airlift, he too ended up at BAF on the Herald.

T J Johansen
3rd Nov 2019, 00:05
Glad to see this thread come alive again. Since it was last active I have gotten hold of both Verdun Polley and Noel Vonhoffs books. Both worth reading, not only for the Biafra connection but for the lives lived in general.

I was just posting on a different forum some screenshots taken from a documentary in the Norwegian TV archives. There is an interview with several pilots or F/Es on the airlift in the timeframe between Dec 1968 and Feb 1969. I tried asking for anyone who might remember who these guys were. We might have gotten one, but the others are still unknown. Maybe some of you here might know.

Photos of the flight crews can be found in this thread:
https://www.pprune.org/where-they-now/626870-biafran-airlift-their-pilots.html

TJ

The AvgasDinosaur
3rd Nov 2019, 08:03
Great to see this thread back in daylight. It’s good to re-read it again.
Does anyone know if Axel Duch ever got his autobiography published in English? Is he still alive ?
Be lucky
David

Henk de Waard
3rd Nov 2019, 08:10
The website where Axel asked for someone to translate his book theairlifttobiafra doesn't seem to exist anymore.

jimjim1
4th Nov 2019, 11:03
The website where Axel asked for someone to translate his book theairlifttobiafra doesn't seem to exist anymore.

The Wayback Machine https://web.archive.org has copies of a site
http ://theairlifttobiafra.com - space added so that pprune doesn't treat it as a link.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190608035712/http://theairlifttobiafra.com/
is one image, taken June 8 2019 (the last one).

I am not exactly sure how it all works but I have in the past found that it was worth while going back to older copies of the site where more material can often be found.There are older images, 2011 - 2019, 47 scans.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/931x744/airlifttobiafra_a1d05eff7d07dc605bcf2376ed3eb6131640d0aa.png

Spooky 2
7th Nov 2019, 19:15
Can anyone here have details regarding the accident that took the life of August (Auggie) Martin? I believe it was a Connie accident during the Biafra airlift?