PDA

View Full Version : Namibian situation 2010

Csanad007
2nd Feb 2010, 19:49
As I arrived too late to Maun, Botswana and ran out of the hiring season here, even my optimism would not raise any new openings, I'm planning to go over to Namibia (planning Windhoek and Swakopmund also) in a couple of weeks to be there by the beginning of the hiring season. I know that I'd have a few questions though:

- is still end of February beginning of March the "opening" of the hiring season? I'm asking this because here in Maun lots of CP's say that there's no clear beginning and end of season...

- what are the requirements now? Just told me someone that companies want guys with 4-500 hours. Previously there were the same requirements as here in Maun (200, CPL). My German is pretty good and I'm also "rated" on the 210 (logged some 15 hours).

- where should I start? I mean is Eros the place one should go?

- where should I stay? Any good camps?

- and finally any info and advice is welcome!

Csanad

ab33t
2nd Feb 2010, 21:36
I have been sending CV's and trying to get an answer from all the local firms , everyone just says the same thing we are not hiring at the moment

albatros19
2nd Feb 2010, 22:42
hi csanads,

Wow u made to maun finally im a fan of ur blogs! lol

Ive done some check with couple of insurance co in Bots n the requirement to insured on 206/210 is still min 200 hrs in maun... so im pretty sure the operators have no problem whatsoever with hiring low time pilots.

All the best luck hope u land a job pretty soon would love to c tht on ur blogs.

cheers

lilflyboy262
3rd Feb 2010, 07:39
Hey buddy,

Like I said, between end of feb, start of march.
Scenic air is 400 hours.
Wings over africa is wanting 300.
Desert Air will probably want pilots shortly.
WestAir wants 500 hours.
Not sure about Albatross, could never find the Chief Pilot

Swakopmund, Pleasure flights will be looking for guys. Alantic aviation is part of pleasure flights I believe.
Bush bird is looking for guys over 500 hours, but must speak German

Don't send CV's or emails. Have to turn up there like you have done for Maun.

Best place to stay is probably Cardboard Box. Has a good atmosphere there. And its as cheap as anywhere else.
And don't pay anymore than $7.50 for a taxi in town, unless its after midnight, then its $15.
Also $15 out to Eros Airport from town.

Can also set you up with a bus that goes direct to Windhoek from Maun that noone seems to know about.
Come talk to me when you can!

Pace152
3rd Feb 2010, 08:50
I'd say you'd probably be better off getting there from early to mid Feb as thats when the hiring seemed to be happening last year.

optimus.Prime
3rd Feb 2010, 08:55
@lilflyboy
Any other Tips/Advice for an FAA/DGCA(India) CPL SE-ME-IR holder with about 301 TT 161 PIC, fluent in French and planning to arrive in Windhoek by the first week of March?

Csanad007
3rd Feb 2010, 17:15
Thanks for that mate! See you at Old Bridge sometime.

optimus.Prime
5th Feb 2010, 15:46
@lilflyboy262,
Kindly chk ur PM inbox!

Dreamlairiner_340
8th Feb 2010, 14:37
Hi Ppruners,

Am equally a low timer who missed the maun season. Can anybody advise how best to go around in Namibia, should i visit Swakopmund first or direct to Windhoek then travel around?

I am from Mauritius so Visa might be a problem, does anybody know how about can we get a Namibian Visa, is it stamped at the airport or? i'm asking as we do not have any Namibian embassy in Mauritius.

cheers

5Z4
22nd Feb 2010, 13:03
It's nice to have hopes, but do not waste any money going to Namibia.

Been there, done that. My mates who are still there are sitting around waiting for flights and there are defenately NO HIRINGS going on.

On the contrary, existing pic's have trouble getting work permits, for they want Namibians only.

There are a few ex-pilots ''on -call'' if the flying situation improves again, so DO NOT WASTE time NOR Money going there for nothing....

Csanad007
22nd Feb 2010, 13:19
So. I'm presently on Namibian ground.
Just enjoying it as a vacation. Becouse jobwise there is nothing really happening. Even companies who would hire would require more and more TT. Scenic goes for 400. Bush Bird for 500. Other companies are saying even 800... (these are insurance company requirements).
And then there is the need of German knowledge.
Also the companies are pushed by the local CAA to hire Namibian pilots. So as 5Z4 mentioned even guys currently flying for Namibian companies have a hard time prolonging the work permit.

If you wanna go sandboarding, paragliding over the dunes, looking for the spectacular Welwitschia plant then you're on the right spot.
Otherwise it is a waste of money.

Langeveldt
10th Mar 2010, 13:24
Looking to go out to Swakopmund for the 2011 season once I have my SA Comm..

Have been advised by guys in that position now though not to waste my money, as work permits are not easily obtained to say the least..

Oh well :(