PDA

View Full Version : Jobs for Tomorrow - Skills Shortage

fischerflyer
2nd Feb 2010, 10:41
Training: jobs for tomorrow (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/01/30/337753/training-jobs-for-tomorrow.html)

The skills shortage soon to be faced by airlines will be unique in aviation history. There is a case for saying governments cannot afford to ignore it any more than the carriers can.

Discuss...

redsnail
2nd Feb 2010, 12:13
Realistically for low houred guys, three to four years. There's a lot of experienced people out there at the moment... :bored:

Now this is where the smart folks win.
Read Flight International, not the commercials pretending to be editorials, but the back of the magazine, where the jobs are.
Not the obvious crew ones. Look for ads calling for engineers, sim techs and sim instructors.
That means the company is ramping up.

Also, note who's hiring experienced guys. Get your application in then & get those IR skills up to speed.
Reason. The CAA stipulates a percentage of experienced v inexperienced crew.
If they are taking on experienced then there's a chance that the inexperienced guys will get looked at afterwards.
By the time the ads turn up for "low houred" guys, you're too late to get into the "to be interviewed" pile.

Cirrus_Clouds
2nd Feb 2010, 12:36
I had seen a bit of info a while back concerning Flybe's proactive approach with assisting learning and ensuring there isn't a "skills" shortage of such.

It's great to know that not all businesses think like Ryanair and EZY, to actually take on some risk themselves but whilst lending a helping hand to the employee.
I think budget airlines will take minimal risk to ensure growth, as that's what they are about, cheap! :ugh: ..whilst expecting the rich kids to go to them instead.

Keep at it guys/girls, there is light at the end of the tunnel, just a few miles to go yet. Just let all these so called rich kids go to the likes of Ryanair/EZY and we'll focus on the others. ;)

I know people that are building businesses for the future, to generate lots of potential employment and it's great to see others are doing the same; I just wish funding was more available that made it a bit easier. Progress is being made slowly but surely and it's that what matters for everyone. :ok:

flyvirgin
2nd Feb 2010, 12:54
Someone told me not so long ago, that BA were predicting a shortfall in pilots in the next few years, somehow I can’t see that happing now!

Nearly There
2nd Feb 2010, 15:39
Redsnail,

The CAA stipulates a percentage of experienced v inexperienced crew.

Are you sure about this? I didnt think the CAA stipulated it, but rather airlines prefer to have a spread of experience, that way you dont have all your FOs ready for command or not ready as the case may be.

redsnail
2nd Feb 2010, 17:25
I will have to check on that one, anecdotally that's been the case.
I am sure insurance companies take a close look at it too. (amongst other things).

Airlines couldn't care less about having a lot of FOs ready for command at the same time. They'd just hire DECs like they have in the past.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2010, 18:12
I had cause to discuss this with an underwriter in the sector a year or so ago.

It used to be the case but these days it isn't. So its become an urban myth; one I used to believe in.

Insurance companies are far far more interested in aircraft type, area of operation, specific airports and - by a huge margin - your Flight Data Monitoring system and its PROVEN effectiveness.

The couple of guys involved in running a good FDM program are quite literally shaving millions of pounds of insurance costs. Figure about half a percent of the fleet value saving between a good airline and a bad airline (insurance wise). The bulk of which being the FDM system. Big numbers.

Low time 'cadets' are only low time for 9 months. Then they've got >1000hrs mostly on Jets. The computer says they are not a significant risk. Gut instinct might say otherwise. But, personally, the most challenging, difficult, scary situation I have faced in the last 5 years was done so with a 250hr FO three days after being released to line flying. He was brilliant. Cool, calm and collected - personified. Could not have been more useful.

The system does work. Buffalo showed that hours in logbooks doesn't mean much..

But Red's right. Airline management don't look any further than next years bonus targets. Having enough Captains is right down the bottom of the list of worries. New FO's now pay for their type rating at twice the market price and triple the cost. They will then work where, when and if required for an hourly rate, smile and be grateful.

It gives airline managers a semi. :uhoh: :(

pablo
14th Feb 2010, 22:51
New FO's now pay for their type rating at twice the market price and triple the cost. They will then work where, when and if required for an hourly rate, smile and be grateful.

:E that's an urban myth WWW :E

fly_antonov
14th Feb 2010, 23:03
Excellent article

As usual, Ryanair is disarmingly honest. But when does a Ryanair pilot get paid? Conway explains that the "cadet" applying for a first-officer position with a CPL/IR and frozen ATPL but no type rating, has to pay a training organisation €25,000 for a 737-800 type rating that will also prepare him/her for Ryanair standard operating procedures.
LINE CHECKS
The cadet then joins the line, unpaid, as a second officer for base training, and operates on the line, unpaid, until successful completion of a line check. After passing the line check the pilot gets his/her first pay cheque. The new pilot is not bonded to remain with the airline for any minimum period.
The question Ryanair does not answer is how much the "new kids" are paid to start, and whether they were guaranteed a minimum number of flying hours a month, given that a Ryanair pilot's pay is based on the amount of flying.
EasyJet has a similar programme, according to would-be pilots, but unlike Ryanair - and despite repeated requests - the airline offered Flight International no-one to discuss pilot recruitment directly.
The result of this situation is that self-sponsored pilots arrive on line with massive debt - about €100,000 - and having taken the entire risk of their investment on themselves. The airlines accept none of the cost and take none of the risk.
In an economy like the present one, the argument runs, that is a good deal for pilot hopefuls. The question remains, is it sustainable? How many "rich kids" are there with the necessary talent and dedication? Will the Ryanair-type model remain sufficiently attractive to persuade them to continue to invest, especially absorbing all the risk themselves?

The first sparks of a bigger media involvement?