PDA

View Full Version : SEP LASORS Question..any CAA bods help pls

belongins
2nd Feb 2010, 10:08
Hi all,
I am very nearly about to finished an integrated fATPL course. I have passed my ME CPL LST, all of my ATPL exams and I am currently waiting to take the ME IR test.

I want to be able to fly single engine a/c on the weekends etc and maybe look at getting into glider towing or aerial photogrphy etc.

I realise that I will only be issued with a MEP single pilot land class rating which seems quite odd as most of my documented basic taining has actually been on single engines and has involved two LSTs to both PPL and CPL standard including IF and x-country flying and have been examined by suitably qualified FIs etc.

LASORS says

For rating issue you must:-
a. Provide evidence of having completed an approved
course of training in accordance with JAR-FCL for
the purposes of the rating.

b. Pass a class rating skill test (LST) conducted by a
JAR authorised Class Rating Examiner (CRE) or
Flight Examiner (FE).

c. Pass a theoretical knowledge exam (oral as part of
the LST).

Can it not be argued that all of these criteria have been accomodated during the fATPL training?

Just trying to avoid paying another £600 for a SEP rating and so any help would be very appreciated.:ok:
Thanks,
B

mad_jock
2nd Feb 2010, 10:31
Nope you don't get it unless you had asked for the SEP form to be signed and had a skills test with an examiner during your time at OAT.

I am not a intergrated bod but did have to deal with a couple of guys who were in the same predicament as yourself while working as an instructor.

One decided he was a sky god and failed most spectacularly the SEP skills test and went off in a huff.

The other agreed he needed to do some practise before the test and ended up doing 5-6 hours then the test.

Problem areas were

1. X-wind landings
2. Nav in Scotland
3. PFL's (mainly choosing the fields and getting it in consistantly)
4. Stalling (trying to power out of fully developed stalls instead of offloading)

The first student was a knob of the highest order, the second one was a good bright lad who got a bit of a shock to the wallet (nearly a grand in the end)

As such there is no manditory training its just up to yourself how much you require before sitting the test. But from the limited selection I have seen there would have been 100% failure rate if you went straight into the test cold without having some dual time. As it appears the quality of OAT students has decreased since 2003 I would advise you take some retraining before trying to pass the test.

belongins
2nd Feb 2010, 10:38
Thanks for you reply and help it always appreciated.
I am not OAT by the way :)

I studied in NZ and so i gather you can work out from there who i did my training with.

I am just suprised really that after all of the x-wind landings, difficult x-country navs one being ablinking CPL qualifier and PFLs etc etc etc wich was all done in single engines incl. one test which was to CPL standard i have to again pay out more money.

Oh well needs must i guess.

Right i'm off to buy a ballaclava and a shotgun:ugh: heheheh
B

mad_jock
2nd Feb 2010, 10:48
You should be OK then the kiwi's don't put out ****e and do things the same as the UK.

Go for your test but make sure you do it somewhere that there are hills about. Vale of York etc is a right bitch if your used to having lumps of stone to help you out.

belongins
2nd Feb 2010, 10:54
Cool will defo look into it.
Just called my local club and they reckon 2-3hrs all in.
182 VP and RG for £185phr and a 152 for £125phr.
Still its more money which in my opinion shouldnt need to be spent but sounds like is does have to be spent hahahah

Cheers again:ok: