PDA

View Full Version : MAPCO coffee container cleaning

VIPFBO
1st Feb 2010, 15:02
Hi,

Does anyone of you have any tips on how to properly clean coffee containers on the inside? Are there any dissolving tablets on the market that can make the job easier?

Thanks!

http://www.midwestaircraft.com/images/engineeringpic.png

learjet50
1st Feb 2010, 15:10
Hi

Try Bicarb of Soda You can buy it cheap at any Supermarket

Use Lots of It and if possible boil Bottled Water (IE NOT FROM UR TAP)

Leave Overnight to soak and it shud be OK

Ensure you give it a good rinse the next day with lots of water

Shud do the trick

Best of Luck

FUZZYFELT
1st Feb 2010, 15:35
Not sure if the manufacturer would endorse it, but we've always found filling them with either cold water & bicarbonate of soda or cold water & a small amount of baby bottle sterilising fluid does the trick.
But always give them at least 2 or 3 rinse outs with cold water. Then leave the lid off to air overnight. Also just use the MAPCO for hot water and have a decent thermos jug for the coffee or vice versa.
Or ...... let the F/A sort it ;)

Opsbeatch
1st Feb 2010, 15:36
Those denture tablets work as well, don't ask me how I know...!

OB

RPness
1st Feb 2010, 16:00
Hi,

the dental tabs are great, so are the tablets for the dish washer.

Always use the hottest water available and give it some time.

If you wish to disinfect it afterwards, use bleach (bad to the gaskets) or concentrated (important) vinegar (not nice to the gaskets, but properly flushed afterwards seldomly a problem).

There are lots of germs surviving even dish washer tablets. Concentrated vinegar is 'liquid armageddon' for most of the germs...

Kind regards,
Peter

potatowings
2nd Feb 2010, 11:12
Wow, I'm impressed, you guys actually clean your MAPCO's!!

I've always wondered how to get them clean, I just figured that the little chunks of 3 year old coffee were good for flavour.

First.officer
2nd Feb 2010, 17:28
Clean a MAPCO !! good lord, heaven forbid - actually to be fair, only water goes into our MAPCO's, so other than scale inside i guess no hard flavoursome lumps of old coffee to be found :eek:

Pardon my dumbness, as a matter of interest, what does MAPCO stand for ?? sure i knew once but long since forgotten !!

:ok:

VIPFBO
3rd Feb 2010, 03:58
Thanks everyone for the tips! :ok:

MAPCO stands for Midwest Aircraft Products Company.

Have a good one!

First.officer
3rd Feb 2010, 08:56
Many thanks for that VIPFBO !

Guess i never knew the answer looking at your reply - was one of those niggly little questions we sometimes ask each other on a flight but no-one seemed to know the answer ! lmao !

VIPFBO
3rd Feb 2010, 18:52
Hi Bral,

You know like others already said here, we never really used to rinse them. What happens is that coffee residu starts to build up inside and it is very hard to actually go in with a brush and wash it all out.

Your suggestion would work really well with a new coffee pot and be consistent rinsing it out.

Shiner Pilot
3rd Feb 2010, 19:29
Yep, baking powder was always a good one...

Wish my FO would clean the MAPCO, it's hard enough getting him to clean the airplane....

SP

PARIS2BERLIN
12th Feb 2010, 13:46
I have always found that baby bottle cleaner (Milton) works really well for both coffe pots and mapco's. Leave overnight in the coffe pot and it's good as new the next day! Also safe, an' all that good stuff!
(I always wondered what mapco stood for too!!) :)