PDA

View Full Version : Singapore to New York

Mr Mac
1st Feb 2010, 12:08
I have to travel this route in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has done the none stop trip with Singapore Airlines as my other option is EK with the obviouse stop off. Any feed back welcome.

parabellum
1st Feb 2010, 21:10
Haven't done that route but have done others that are ultra long haul. It is a state of mind! On a three hour flight, after two hours you start to think, "are we there yet?", on a nineteen hour flight that sets in after about twelve to fifteen hours, by which time you will have, hopefully, slept a fair bit and now have time to read a good book or look out the window, as you should be over interesting scenery for the last six hours. Doing it in one saves a lot of time.

rmac
1st Feb 2010, 22:03
SQ direct is a good service, even the economy is a premium product to give you a bit more space :ok:

Sultan Ismail
1st Feb 2010, 23:16
You may just be a bit behind the times, for the last couple of years Singapore Airlines A340-500's used for the LAX and EWR routes are equipped as 100 seats Business Class only. The Premium Economy was deemed uneconomic.

Rush2112
2nd Feb 2010, 09:18
The Sultan is right, all Business Class. A mate of mine did it recently, and given that he is an experienced long hauler with around 6 or 7 LH trips each year for the last 15, he said it drove him nuts! It was probably just about worth the time saved though he reckoned.

Mr Mac
4th Feb 2010, 07:23
Thanks for your info and and thoughts, and I will be trying the SQ service. I do quite a number (20+) of Long haul each year, and have done for the last 25yrs, all in Business thank goodness, but 18.5 hrs will be my longest none stop flight to date. One of the minor problems I forsee is leaving Uk (+1c - we live in Yorkshire !) for 4 days in Singapore (+30c) to Wisconsin ( have been there in - 42c before now in Jan /Feb !) which makes for intresting packing. Anyhow once again thanks for your helpful comments.

Kiltrash
5th Feb 2010, 21:10
Have not done Sin-Lax but have done LHR-SYD a few times, I know that is not non stop but the 2 hr re fuel at Sin was a blessed relief.

Perhaps it is better for your boredom / sanity to break the ULH flight even if it is first/ business