PDA

View Full Version : airborne in HK for less than US$400...

Grass strip basher
1st Feb 2010, 08:53
Is there anyway to get airborne in HK in a light single to have some fun without parting with US$400 to HK aviation club to fly one of their 152s??

Been here about 5 months and starting get withdrawal symptoms from lack of single engine fun.... just can't bring myself to pay that hourly rate for a 152 and all the upfront "joining costs" of the HKAC.... good as I am sure they are.

Are there any other options?? :{:sad:

yokebearer
1st Feb 2010, 10:20
Paragliding is popular.

Abbeville
1st Feb 2010, 10:53
Where would that be?

Flying Mechanic
1st Feb 2010, 11:11
you can paraglide in sai kung area off Tai Mo Shan, sometimes u see up 7 or 8 paragliders up there. There somewhere on lan tau to aswell.

The otehr option is to head to Clark (Angeles city) in the Philpines and hire a/c there, make a bit of holiday of it , do a cross country flight or 2. cheap hotels there, cheaps beers, and cheap.....

ab33t
1st Feb 2010, 12:04
Head over to the Islands you will find something there . Paragliding and hang gliding al

Runway101
18th Feb 2010, 22:55
I thought there were only a hand full of people with paragliders in Hong Kong (few french, one from NZ), but last time I checked was two years ago...

hadagutful
25th Feb 2010, 10:15
Grass strip B. How can the hourly rate on a C152 possibly be so much??

That must be way more than double what it would cost back in the States.
We have a late model C172SP IFR with all the bells and whistles and it is $195 per hour (wet) at our aero club here (Queensland). Not bad when compared to the Aus$444 for the 152 at H.K.

I would think the avgas is reasonably similar in price and other fixed costs not too disimilar. Is it the government taxes and other charges?

I wouldn't be doing too much flying at that rate.

747-8
25th Feb 2010, 11:22
Flying Mech it's Ma On Shan on the cliff just above Sai Kung.