PDA

View Full Version : Info on Appr Francisco B Reyes (RPVV) airport, Busuanga,Philippines

eloigorri
1st Feb 2010, 04:19
Hi,
I am due to land a private aircraft at Francisco B Reyes (RPVV) airport on the Island of Busuanga in the Philippines next month. Other then the GPS coordinates, runway orientation (08/26), length, elevation and a cryptic comment that there are hills and trees at both ends of the runway, I cannot find any detailed approach information on this airport.

Looking at Google Earth/Maps it looks to be in a valley with an Easterly approach being favourite. Jepessen lists a 7,500 ft terrain min obstacle clearance in the same sector but I have not been able to locate this from the fuzzy satellite imagery.

Does anyone have any VFR plates or first hand experience of landing here they could pass on?

Aircraft is a PA46 Jetprop, so 1,000M length at virtual sea level more than adequate.

Cheers.

Eduardo

thrust clb
2nd Feb 2010, 11:02
Wow! you will have the distinction of landing the first Piper Meridian in Busuanga. I used to fly there on a daily basis in the late 90's.

99 Percent of the time traffic will be coming from the North East. Highest hills from that direction barely reach 1200 feet. All inbound aircraft usually join left Base for 08 or right Base for 26. When VFR, the reporting point is "Apo Reef" a cluster of reef 35nm from RPVV.

There is a control tower there now. So no problems with traffic ....usually ATR's , or Dash-8's .

On take-off from Runway 08 one usually climbs on runway heading to 1000 feet before heading north-east to Manila. There is a long "saddle" of 800 foot hills along the way.

I've always have good memories of flying in and out of Busuanga. Enjoy the view!

eloigorri
2nd Feb 2010, 20:33
Many thanks for the reply.
It was just the sort of local knowledge l was after.

I will be arriving from Puerto Princessa (RPVP)

Should be a fun trip.

Do you know off hand the tower frequency? I cannot find it listed anywhere.

Cheers. E

stone_crusher
3rd Feb 2010, 05:28
hey mate.....
the tower freq is 123.20
the you can contact RPVV tower at culion which is approx 24 miles to RPVV.
be carefull with the hills while descending.

its much better if you maintain 1500ft while being overhead the station and join downwind for landing .
traffic will be coming form north mostly ATR ans Q-300 in airliners and PA23, BN-islander and Be-55
if u want any more info let me know
br
stone

eloigorri
19th Feb 2010, 03:44
Many thanks for the approach tips, they were spot on!

I landed there last week. Lovely airport, breathtaking views in a refreshingly unspoilt area.

I will be back.

A more detailed report with pics at NOK Aviation news (http://www.nokaviation.com/news.htm)

Cheers - Ed