PDA

View Full Version : US C1/D visa after resigning?

silverware
31st Jan 2010, 16:05
Hi all,

I have a CI/D visa in my passport, i used to work for an airline.
I resigned a while ago but the visa is still valid for a few more years.
On the little piece of paper that is stapled into my passport it also states the name of the airline i used to work for.
I am now switching to freelancing on bizjets, can i still use this visa or do i need to get a new/different one?
If it is necessary to get a new one, how/on what basis can you obtain a crewman's visa as a freelance flight attendant?

Thanks

supermoix
31st Jan 2010, 18:15
Normally, the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) see the D1D (Crewmember) visa as a blanket crew visa not attached to only one airline operator unless it is clearly specified in the visa stamped/attached in your passport. The specific visas are more oriented to cruise lines and cargo sea ships.

But freelancing in Bizjets is another history, you will need a B1/B2 (Leisure and Business) Visa to enter in private jets to the USA, as you will not be seen by CBP officers as a required crewmember by law, not even if your company operations manual specifies it, this is unless the bizjet is certified for more than 19 seats.

I Suggest to get a B1/B2 visa. Call the US Consulate in your city to make an appointemnt and ask the basic requirements, plus accompany them with a letter from a company where you will work. If you're an EU passport holder this shouldn't be a problem.

On the plus side, having a B1/B2 visa and not being a required crewmember you can always serve as wildcard passenger if using a CBP overflight exemption and none of the passengers on board are listed, or in empty legs this is a great advantage.

All of this being said, every CBP port have their own interpretations of the law and is always a good idea to call your main port of entry to see ho they will see your status entering the US, normally they are a good bunch.

Good luck!

ericthepilot
1st Feb 2010, 02:19
Our Pilots and F/A's (those non US citizen/resident) have the B1/2 and C crew visas both.
IF you can get them both, preferably in two different passports, you can enter the US on any aircraft when free lancing (C/D) or commercial flight (B1/2). You do not jeopardize the employer your are entering with headaches how to get on the aircraft. Regardless who pays your paycheck a US or foreign employer, you will be asked that question by CBP. Explaining you are working for whom and why in the US and how your getting paid are one of those pesky questions during your screening at the airport. And if your picking up an a/c in the USA you can legally do so. Sometimes CBP is confused who what where for private aviation issues, but the Crew visa clears that hurdle.

Good luck with your new adventure.