PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo advertising. Angry as @$#% about this

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2010, 08:23
This is madness, and I've let them know I will not accept it.

For the last week I've had to enter the site on this page instead of my in box. Okay, only one tab, but the adverts are flashing like a sick headache over more than a third of the screen.

If I have nothing in the in box, I get this derelict staring at me. A dozen times a day I've had the same picture.

Time for a change of provider I think.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Capture.jpg

green granite
31st Jan 2010, 08:49
What's wrong with using addblocker? never see adverts on webpages.

ab33t
31st Jan 2010, 11:47
Use a good program to block all those pop ups , problem solved

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2010, 17:16
I'd got some way with Adblock plus, but the hairy-one was reluctant to leave. However, he's gone now.

I'm a little concerned about leaving Ab on all the time. I'd found that I was missing things from time to time. Again, I seem to be rather slow with the programing side, - or more likely, most of the folk on here don't know how just much they know. Makes me realize that I know diddly.:(

green granite
31st Jan 2010, 18:17
I you right click on an advert it should, among other things, list "adblock image" and or "adblock frame" click on it and you can select to block it.

hellsbrink
31st Jan 2010, 19:09
LR

Adblock Plus is good, it generally does not stop anything you do want to see. If you do then you can go to the adblock plus preferences and then you can "unfilter" (is that a word) the ads you actually want so you have control.

Script block, however, can be a pain until you're used to it.

The above is for Firefox. If you are using IE8 then it gets more complicated but you can still block the ads quite easily by using the "private browsing" thingie and downloading the "block" list (I tried it and it worked). From your screenshot it would seem to me that you are using IE7/8 so maybe it's time to change to the Fox as it not only has better tools for ads but also runs faster (i.e. uses less resources on your PC) and, above all, ain't Microsoft!!

For the rare things you do, like banking, which do not agree with Fox then you can use IE for these things.

Hope this helps

PS. Your problem with these ads is NOTHING to do with your provider. They just give you a gateway to wwwunderfulweb and no more. The same would happen no matter who your ISP was

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Jan 2010, 19:24
above all, ain't Microsoft
Depends whether you prefer religion or facts, dunnit.

Personally I can't be doing with the bugs and lack of control in FF.

hellsbrink
31st Jan 2010, 19:58
Well, Gertrude, I can't stand certain things about IE

Firefox has bugs, sure, but it is still more user-friendly (especially when you think of doing adblocking in IE8, unless that has changed recently. Must check)

The bottom line is that FF, like Chrome (and it sucks AND blows), uses far less resources to do things so everything works faster.

Now, you talk about "religion or facts". Well, I've been playing with computers since the days of the C64. It doesn't mean that Microcrap are the be all and end all. I have my browser, you may prefer another. That is your choice. But there's no "religion" here, just the fact that M$ stuff tends to be "bloatware" in some cases.

Following the "religion" that Microsoft are somehow the best whilst ignoring other options is a mmore worrying thing. At least I open my eyes to new ideas

Loose rivets
31st Jan 2010, 20:19
I've used FF for several years. Wife uses IE for banking. (thinks, that might be the reason our investments are cr@p);)

Yahoo just appeared with the provider's bundle. Yes, we could change, but it's the old Why Should We??!! thing again.

The adds have only recently become obtrusive. Not being able to go straight to my in folder from Bookmarks only happened a few days ago. Why fix something that's working?

I asked them 'Who makes these executive decisions?' Among other questions . . . and suggestions. :*

Ad Blocker Plus. The things that went missing were mostly pics on Pprune. I seemed to have attacked the problem rather too vigorously.

Most, if not all 'targets' were obtained in the way mentioned above. Several right click tries to get rid of the beard didn't produce any invitation to block...then suddenly it did.

One will persevere.

I was getting a little fed up with my mail handling soft. It was just about okay, so one job that didn't need addressing. Maybe now move into the modern world. Having said this...I'm still writing on WP 8, even with the rather spiffing 2010 Office Beta running.

BTW, I have seldom turned the blocker on over the last few weeks, and Pprune is showing me a full width screen again.

Have they relented a tad?

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Jan 2010, 20:59
Well, I've been playing with computers since the days of the C64.
Oh, a newcomer then.

Sprogget
31st Jan 2010, 21:20
Very telling that comment, Gertrude. Hopefully, more of a skillset behind it.

Guest 112233
31st Jan 2010, 21:21
C64's be ashamed of your selves - I started by programming the CBM series of Commodore PETS with 32 K of RAM ! - Basic built in.

Yep the adds are a pain the the proverbal - With FF I use foof - you will need to seach for the addon but it seems to work.

If you are using IE 7 or IE8 try IE7 Pro - I'm not sure about the security implications though - Any ideas ? - It was always a search for more ram, more disk space and faster computers in those days. -

Things are much better for developers now.

CAT III

SyllogismCheck
31st Jan 2010, 21:33
Apart from about three crashes, the cause of which was fixed within a couple of days, I've never experienced a bug in Firefox.

Even on the occasions it crashed, Firefox restarted with all tabs and windows recovered more quickly than the Idiot's Explorer can clonk its way into its lardy semblance of action when it's working properly.

frostbite
31st Jan 2010, 21:40
CATIII, if you're missing the PET, I have 3 or 4 of them here waiting to acquire antique value......

Scott Diamond
31st Jan 2010, 21:55
Sounds like you need someone to email you :E

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Jan 2010, 22:34
Hopefully, more of a skillset behind it.
Pretty sure the first thing I got paid to work on was an IBM 1130. Followed by IBM 360, then custom made 8080 based systems (you couldn't buy microprocessor boards off the shelf then, you had to design them yourself), then a whole bunch of minicomputers some of whose names I can't remember (the PDP 11 was OK, the DG Nova was horrible, I forget the rest).

The modern stuff - where you could buy a ready-made small computer off the shelf for only a few grand - started in the 1980s. Stuff like the SuperBrain running WordStar - you no longer needed to buy a single purpose piece of hardware if what you wanted was a word processor (I saw, but never worked on, one of the really early word processors which came built into a desk with its own paper tape reader, custom keyboard etc).

By that time I was well into culling obsolete stuff from my CV to keep it to a sane length ... and to make sure nobody offered me a job doing things I didn't want to do ever again! So, you won't find all of this stuff on my CV :)

cdtaylor_nats
31st Jan 2010, 22:39
I started on an Elliot 4130, then an ICL1901A, then ICL2930. I still miss the VAX.

bnt
1st Feb 2010, 11:42
On top of AdBlock, I'd recommend NoScript too: block 3rd-party scripts from running without your approval. If you use it, set the "allow top level domains" option, which makes sure that only 3rd-party scripts are blocked, but allows scripts from the site that you navigated to.

call100
1st Feb 2010, 13:25
I've never experienced any problems with FF. I use adblock plus and never see ads. PPRune has always been full width. All my banking works with it, even though some are saying it's not compatible with my bank.
Sometimes I think some people (not pointing fingers:)) just mess too much with stuff, then get surprised when they encounter a problem...
FF just works, I don't like IE, my wife uses it only because she can't be bothered to learn the differences......

P.Pilcher
1st Feb 2010, 13:42
As a Lloyds customer I find that if I use ie7 to access my accounts and then use the statement facility, I have to scroll down quite a way before I can get to the first entry. The Lloyds website has now been like this for months and they refuse to do anything about it ("we have more pressing problems with our website to cure first sir"). I have just discovered that in FF the statement display works perfectly!

P.P.

hellsbrink
1st Feb 2010, 14:34
If you are using IE 7 or IE8 try IE7 Pro - I'm not sure about the security implications though

IE7 pro is a godsend on IE7, but when I tried it on IE8 most of the features were missing. Maybe it's been updated since then, but if it hasn't then you'll find it isn't the same if you use it on IE8

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Feb 2010, 20:37
I still miss the VAX.
I never got to use one.

Well, not quite true. One day a call came in, "such and such a system is broken, send someone to fix it" (this being in the days before you could expect to fix anything remotely).

Guy whose project it was was on holiday, so I asked around the office for anyone who knew any VAX assembler.

Answer came there none. So I, who had never used a VAX before, let along written assembler for it, found myself on the plane the next morning - being the boss I couldn't really delegate it to someone else who didn't know what they were doing either, could I. I turned up at the customer's office, in Edinburgh, in August, and got the secretary to try to find me a bed for the night whilst I started looking at the problem.

No chance of anywhere to sleep, obviously, not with the festival on, so clearly I had to fix the problem the same day.

Erm ... I succeeded. It turned out I needed to write one line of code, which I managed to get done well before the last plane of the day left. The most expensive one line anyone has ever paid me to write!

rgbrock1
2nd Feb 2010, 13:53
Still using VAX. And Alpha.

My first go at a computer was the DEC 11/780 as well as a PDP 11-series (PDP 11-44?). I've been a faithful to the OpenVMS/VMS operating system since 1986 and still use it on a daily basis to this day. (As a Systems Manager/Systems Engineer)

Nothing like a good, and secure, operating system!