PDA

View Full Version : Air Zimbabwe

QRCC2B
30th Jan 2010, 19:46
Out of interest, do Air Zimbabwe have any white cabin crew? If they do which I assume, are they in majority or minority?

Ted T. Beefcake
31st Jan 2010, 08:29
Yes they do, and they are in a minority.

Not too many of us honkies left there i am afraid - the only one i know of at UM is a friend of mine - he's a first officer on the MA-60 and the 732.

Zimpilot1
31st Jan 2010, 13:24
There are a couple of 'honkies' left but I think all of them are pilots. I met one in Harare on the 29th of January. He flies the MA60 and 737s. He was doing the Harare - Lusaka - Lumbumbashi route. Most of the pilots have been laid off and most of the equipment is idle. Always wondered why anything that starts with a 'Z' in Zimbabwe doesnt work ( ZESA, ZIMRA, ZINARA, ZBC etc)

FrancoisM
31st Jan 2010, 14:23
ZIMBABWE ... just to add to your list :)

Always wondered why anything that starts with a 'Z' in Zimbabwe doesnt work ( ZESA, ZIMRA, ZINARA, ZBC etc)

Londonlads
31st Jan 2010, 15:33
I travelled with Air Zimbabwe between HRE and LGW a couple of years ago and there was a really nice guy (white) who worked on the flight as cabin crew. After hearing what he said about the way they were treated, and not only by management to add, I wouldn't want to be working for them!

Contract Dog
31st Jan 2010, 15:35
ZANU :hmm:

Dog

Capetonian
31st Jan 2010, 15:50
Their flights between Gatwick and Harare seem to be full most of the time. I've seen the queues at Gatwick on departure, and the other day I called them as needed to get a friend down to HRE and she wanted a single segment flight, and they were full between 25 MAR and 03 APR.

I'm told, some of you guys will know better, that although they are unreliable as Bob tends to take aircraft out for his own use, they are safe, probably for the same reason.

Metro man
1st Feb 2010, 01:15
they are safe, probably for the same reason.

Are you serious ????

Ancient B737 and B767s from the 1980s. Serious financial problems and limited technical capability trying to maintain complex, ageing aircraft.

Key skilled personnel long gone.

Banned from flying to the USA and Australia.

Would this airline be operating if a first world civil aviation authority was in charge ?

Would you like to be on this airline if there was a technical problem and the aircraft diverted. Could they organise hotels and a recovery, or would you be stuck God knows where with no back up ?

The country is a basket case, pilots in the past have had to borrow money from passengers to pay landing fees before the aircraft was allowed to take off.

One to stay away from. Pay a bit more/fly a extra sector on a real airline.

Zimpilot1
1st Feb 2010, 06:24
They are in the process of retrenching most of their experienced pilots too. One wonders what they intend to do. They have cancelled some routes and operate one aircraft at a time. I guess you have be a member of ZANU PF to fly in Zim

Capetonian
1st Feb 2010, 09:01
In case my post was not clear where I said :

I'm told ....... they are safe

I was only repeating what I've been told. There is no way I would fly on them for all the reasons you have cited, plus that I would not wish to support in any way this evil despotic regime which has wrecked the beautiful country I once lived in and the lives of millions of people.

Ancient B737 and B767s from the 1980s. true, but I'd rather be on an ancient well maintained 'plane flown by a skilled pilot than something out of the box flown by an idiot. I'm told that UM's aircraft are well maintained because Bob uses them and insists they are well maintained. The fact that he uses them would worry me, surely it makes them a prime target for sabotage?

I am curious though to know why their flights are frequently full - they are not cheap - I can only assume it is because Bob's Buddies get free rides. Then one wonders where the money is coming from to keep the airline going. As it is I know they've been removed from several of the GDSs for not paying their GDS fees, so one wonders when they will stop paying for landing, overflying, fuel etc.

The airlines seems to operate primarily for the benefit of Robbing Mugabe and the evil Grace(less) so I suppose they don't need GDS distribution.

answer=42
1st Feb 2010, 10:53
Air Zimbabwe are one of the few African airlines that are IOSA certified. This implies that they are safe. I would be very interested to hear any considered contrary views.

I am just a mere SLF. In my recent dealings with Zimbabweans, black and white, I am often struck how they manage to do amazing things with absolutely zero resources.

TJ1F
1st Feb 2010, 14:43
Surely if there was any doubt about there maintenance standards , the mere fact that they are flying in European and UK airspace would say that they are at the required standard...
Ive never had doubt in the ability of their crew and maintenance, where as far as im aware are some long serving experienced crew. The bottom line is when it comes to punctuality and after service i.e delays and cancelled flights...finding accommodation for stranded Pax... they are the worst

My six P anyway

Metro man
1st Feb 2010, 20:28
This was once an excellent airline. During the 1980s Cathay Pacific accepted the Zimbabwe pilots licence, this was back in the days when they were very fussy. Ansett/Australian Airlines were very happy to employ Zimbabwean pilots after the 1989 strike. The Dubai Air Wing also has a few, as does Gulf Air and Emirates.

Now the airline reflects the country. When there are frequent power black outs because bills haven't been paid, when there have been cholera outbreaks because there isn't the money to import water treatment chemicals, what chance is there of the airline being first rate ?

Just because they fly in European airspace doesn't mean they are safe, remember they are banned from the USA and Australia. The list of airlines banned from Europe is only the worst of the worst, I'm sure Air Zimbabwe are better than the Congolese airlines listed.

Full flights would be mainly two reasons:

1. Lack of choice, with most other airlines having withdrawn.
2. Staff travelling to bring back goods to sell.

If the airline was under the supervision of a competent civil aviation authority such as that of Canada or New Zealand I would quite happily fly on them. At the moment who knows how bad things are ?

Twenty 4 Seven
1st Feb 2010, 22:23
For what reason(s) did BA pull out of HRE? Was it for political reasons because from what I can remember all of their flights were pretty much full?

I read an article that 3 airlines (Nationwide, Emirates and Malaysia Airlines) have been trying to get traffic rights to HRE but all been denie by the Zimbabwe government.

Metro man
2nd Feb 2010, 02:34
I think there were problems getting money out of the country for BA. The ZW$ became worthless, prices were doubling every day there were shortages of fuel.

BA had wanted to withdraw earlier than they did but were persuaded by the British government to keep operating so that their citizens could have an escape route.

The country is a failed state. Most of those with the means to leave; money, skills, foreign passport have gone.

White population numbering close to 300 000 at its peak during the 1970s has dwindled to around 30 000 mostly ageing. Skilled black population have departed for the UK and South Africa, unskilled locals flooding across the SA border to work on farms or beg on the streets.

A crying shame, a beautiful country with so much potential destroyed by one of historys worst dictators.:(

skyloone
2nd Feb 2010, 10:56
Bob & his buddies need a taxi service to 'interests'

How to achieve this..... very simple out in Zim, head down to Robert Mugabe Avenue... is that where CAAZ still is? Make sure the staff in charge know the crack.... can be litteral if required. Airzim AOC safe.

Now more importantly than mere regulators... how do we fund ZANU. The answer lies south of Mutare nearer to Birchenough Bridge. Heard of 'Blood Diamonds', very useful for raising cash but you do face the inconvenient fuss of getting them to market. The polishing houses in Mumbai are not fussy about origins. Look to Pakistani agents and those from other Eastern countries and you have your funding answers. Zanu do not have a hold on the treasury but have their very own central bank. Its amazing how a brand new 2000m runway has appeared in the bush, complete with military ATC tower being installed. Will see if it gets a hard surface soon. So what hardware will be using this. If you take the local elevation of 1600 feet, ensure night time departures and not worry too much about factored distances, you could get some fair sized kit in and out. Have a contact who was born and lived in the area. The rest of the contacts clan are still down there. Had some intersting stories. Its amazing what the 'Kimberly Process' clowns missed. So in the end, ever wondered why Airzim put in those Eastern routes. Diplomatic bags in the hold outbound and a few TV's on the way back?

Life good if you're in charge or perhaps I'm just dreaming.

Happy flying

VSB via OL
2nd Feb 2010, 11:01
I think fuel was also an issue.

A mate of mine said that BA organised their own reserves at FVHA at the height of 'heaven' ('heaven('t) got fuel, 'heaven got electricity, 'heaven got water, 'heaven got bread etc etc), but such reserves were on occasion prone to 'unauthorised borrowing' from Govt to operate VIP flights, leaving BA no guarantee of being able to use their own supply to fuel the return sector.

Ted T. Beefcake
2nd Feb 2010, 15:17
Metroman, get your facts right.

UM was banned from Canadian & US airspace for reasons of 'targetted sanctions' against Mugabe and his fellow ZANU-PF cronies, and not 'safety reasons' as you so erroneously crap on about.

Additionally, a number of ZANU-PF related companies like ZESA, ZISCO Steel and Air Zimbabwe amongst others were added to that list, as they were considered to be fronts for the aforementioned cronies.

Air Zimbabwe targeted in Canadian sanctions (http://http://www.newzimbabwe.com/pages/sanctions89.18721.html)

Canada is banning arms exports, freezing the assets of top Zimbabwean officials and banning Zimbabwean aircraft from flying over or landing in Canada.
The ban on civilian aircraft will raise questions about Canada's claim that the measures are targeted at punishing Mugabe and his supporters. Currently, Air Zimbabwe does not use Canadian airspace, the airline's Europe and America Regional Manager, David Mwenga said.
Ditto

The Age, Australia (http://http://www.theage.com.au/world/exposed-mugabes-secret-flights-20080721-3iri.html)

Canada has banned aircraft registered in Zimbabwe from landing in or flying over its territory after the violence in Zimbabwe's June 27 election. But a spokesman for Foreign Minister Stephen Smith yesterday declined to say what Australia's position was on the flights.

Capetonian
2nd Feb 2010, 15:20
As far as I remember, Air Zimbabwe have never operated to US or CA anyway, so like most sanctions, pretty meaningless, just empty posturing.

blindworm2003
3rd Feb 2010, 04:41
I see you have no clue of what you are talking about. Air Zimbabwe is a safe airline, mainly because the president uses the airline for his personal travel. Being banned from the USA and Australia is not a big deal. Especially the US. A couple of airlines have been trying to get the rights to fly into Zimbabwe, but have been denied by the Zimbabwean Govt. Emirates being one of them. Yes the country does have old aircraft, but remember they are well maintained. Like someone said earlier on, I would rather fly a well maintained old machine flown by a pro, than one straight from the box flown by idiots (Air New Zealand, and all American airlines)

Metro man
3rd Feb 2010, 11:14
Air Zimbabwe is a safe airline

Who says so ? The FAA have banned Air Zimbabwe from the USA not because of sanctions but because they have "assessed the Government of Zimbabwe’s Civil Aviation Authority as not being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Zimbabwe’s air carrier operations."

The IOSA certification is a box ticking exercise for all airlines who want to be in IATA.

I didn't state that Air Zimbabwe were unsafe however I haven't seen a report from a COMPETENT source saying they are safe. Due to the situation doubts are quite rightly raised, serious financial difficulties, ageing aircraft, lack of key personnel. Are the holes in the cheese starting to line up ?

mainly because the president uses the airline for his personal travel

What are his qualifications in aviation safety management ? His expertise lies in crushing opposition to his government and enlarging his personal wealth at his countrys expense. Would he know if an airworthiness directive had been complied with ? Would you like to tell him he couldn't fly because a part was time expired ?

I would rather fly a well maintained old machine flown by a pro
I would rather fly on a well maintained new machine flown by a pro, I don't want to be the one who discovers the problems when the total time gets too high.

The "pros" you speak of left during the 1980/1990s and are well dispersed world wide. Lots in Cathay. I can't comment on what's left but the Zimbabwe licence isn't much use these days, I don't even put it on my CV anymore.

Show me a report from a competent source saying they are safe and I would fly on them.

ishe
10th Feb 2010, 07:47
""I would rather fly a well maintained old machine flown by a pro, than one straight from the box flown by idiots (Air New Zealand, and all American airlines)"

You poor soul- I guess you have never been to Zim or flown on one of their "well maintained machines".

I know many air zim pilots and personally there are only 4 that i would fly with- however I know quite a few ANZ pilots with whom I would fly any day, properly trained, not pilots because of political ties and inabilities to pass exams, but hard study.

The stories of their maintenance leaves a lot to be desired purely because of lack of qualified personnel.

LittleMo
10th Feb 2010, 08:29
IOSA certification sounds grand but what is it actually worth? In persoanl experience, it's a paperwork excercise, I mean both Nationwide and Airlink had/have IOSA certificates and look at their records

Witraz
10th Feb 2010, 16:49
Whatever individuals think Air Zimbabwe crews have managed to maintain a pretty good safety record considering the conditions they have been working under. I respect them for this as I would not like to have worked under some of the pressures they have found themselves in. The question will be as always how long will they be able to keep things going.

JTrain
11th Feb 2010, 10:37
Since Rhodesia became Zimbabwe (1980), and the company was renamed Air Zimbabwe, they have not had a fatal accident. They are one of the few flag carriers to be able to make such a claim in that time period.

Whether this is due to skill, luck, or something else, it is certainly a statistic worth noting.

JT

four engine jock
11th Feb 2010, 11:01
Little Mo
Well if you think IOSA is just a paperwork exercise than you don’t know much about it.
Being an IOSA Airline does not mean that your civil aviation is up to speed. It means that your airline is.
Air Zimbabwe is on the register
As to Nationwide and Airlink, that’s a whole other story to be told with regards to the SACAA jumping the gun.
I would fly Air Zimbabwe any day.

TWT
11th Feb 2010, 13:18
21 years ago I flew Air Zimbabwe from Harare to Gatwick in a hushkitted 707.A very smooth journey operated by a crew with a professional attitude.

Irrelevant to the experience today of course but seems,from some posters' experiences, that not much has changed. ( Flight did leave at advertised time though)

Komba
11th Feb 2010, 14:31
'IOSA a ticking box excercise' - don't be daft. :=

The airline I worked for spent a huge amount of money and time to become IOSA accredited.

Air Zim were a fantastic airline to fly on, and by all accounts for, before the whole country went to the dogs. If they are indeed IOSA certified then it is because they met and complied with some of the most stringent safety regs currently in place. IOSA can pull this certification if they deem it is necessary and one would think that they are watching closely.