PDA

View Full Version : Discretion to JFK

Sqwak7700
30th Jan 2010, 06:02
From the latest update, how can a flight from HKG to JFK arrive 9:40 late using discretion? That means someone was on duty for over 24hrs, surely this can't be safe.

Is it wise for the company to encourage such behavior? I'm sure they would have backed up the crew if they had dinged a wing on landing or if they had busted an altitude due to fatigue... :rolleyes:

This is why 100%AOA membership will do absolutely squat. :yuk:

Turbine Kiwi
30th Jan 2010, 07:30
The flight diverted to YYZ, then a new crew took it to JFK. I don't think anyone would use that sort of discretion even if it was legal.

What's it got to do with the AOA?

How could 0% membership be better than 100%?

Sqwak7700
30th Jan 2010, 12:22
Obviously you didn't read the update, you should save comment until you do.

It means that 100% membership of guys who trip over themselves to "help out" is WORTHLESS.

As recently seen from the last AOA update, the company WILL hang you if you try to help them but violate SOPs / regs in the process. I don't blame them, if you willingly operate knowing that you did not achieve sufficient rest and follow it up with ASRs and so on, you are an idiot.:ugh:

Goes back to the whole "backbone" thing...:yuk:

Five Green
30th Jan 2010, 17:21
Squack :

AOA membership would be good if we had 100% would be gooder if we had 100% committed and goodest if we had 100% committed, involved members.

So obviously the more the merrier.

Good point about the culture around here.

Corporate culture has long been known to be a contributing factor in incidents and accidents. We have already had fatigue related incidents, FRA cowling comes to mind. While I agree that the crew in question, could have played the game a little smarter, I do applaud them for trying to do something. I also agree with you that the more professional approach would have been to go sick due to fatigue.

Sadly, the crew in question gave the co. the way out, and has made fatigue related issues harder to deal with.

FG