PDA

View Full Version : Question - FACs on Film

Heli-Boy1
29th Jan 2010, 05:30
Help needed - trying to remember a film in which the FAC is taken out leaving his radio live by his side. This radio is picked up by an untrained soldier who proceeds to talk to the aeroplane calling in fires.

Ring a bell to anyone? Thanks!

c-bert
29th Jan 2010, 07:10
Sounds suspiciously like BAT*21 to me:

Bat*21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat*21)

barnstormer1968
29th Jan 2010, 07:36
Doesn't sound like BAT21 to me.
In BAT21, no one else picks up any radio, not from Hambleton, or from Danny
Glover playing an air FAC.

Thread drift, but the true story of BAT21 is totally fantastic IMHO. It portrays determination, and also good co operation between U.S. seals, and Vietnamese commandos (oh, and is nothing like the story in the film!).

johnnypaveway
29th Jan 2010, 18:19
"We were soldiers", I think there is an untrained FAC bit that goes somewhat wrong. Mel tells the radop get it right next time, or words to that effect

Heli-Boy1
29th Jan 2010, 19:54
That sounds right - thanks for the help.

Melchett01
29th Jan 2010, 20:30
Could have been We Were Soldiers - but the "FAC" wasn't taken out IIRC. The RadOp was doing the job right from the outset and proceeds to call a strike in beyond danger close as they are about to be overrun, killing some of his own unit.

Rather than chastising him, Gibson's character tells him to crack on and keep the ordnance coming as it is only the CAS keeping them alive. I remember that scene quite well - it is a perfect example of compassionate leadership not obsessed with aportioning blame in a complex and fluid situation.

Slightly different to your original comments, but maybe what you are thinking of.

Brian Abraham
30th Jan 2010, 00:13
A story. One of our aircraft was shot down while attempting to land on a mountain top to evacuate a wounded US adviser to a ARVN unit. The aircraft rolled down the mountain side and came to rest inverted and under heavy fire. Three of the crew exited OK but the AC had taken a round in the chest and despite the best efforts of the crew they were unable to extricate him and he died some 45 minutes later still strapped in his seat. Meanwhile a major battle developed and resources were called in from all round to contribute. High command dictated that our unit was grounded for the period, out of fear for what we might have done (risks taken) was the general consensus. We spent the night in ops listening to it all unfold. The adviser was still on the radio doing the job calling the arty and air strikes until he passed away in the middle of the night with the mic in his hand and broadcasting. The battle ended the next morning, but not before a good number of US and ARVN forces had paid the ultimate price. Our three crew members made it through the night OK and one, an Oz Navy lower deck chap flying as a gunner, was put up for the Silver Star.

RIP Terry.