PDA

View Full Version : Avionics at QANTAS

AvionicsGuy
28th Jan 2010, 09:17
Any truth in the rumour that Avionics engineers who have 4 year experience in GA (i.e. an apprenticeship) start near the top of the AME pay scale?

what kind of opportunities are there for guys, looking to move into the airlines from GA at mascot?

BrissySparkyCoit
29th Jan 2010, 09:39
It really depends on the department and facility you apply to work in. In line and base, they are more inclined to recognise your qualifications and start you on an appropriate level.

Some other areas are focused on the dollar and will try to shaft you in on entry level 6 (or 7 under the new EBA that comes into effect tomorrow.... 7 months LATE) and claim that this is because the unions will not allow them to start you on a higher level. Don't fall for this. As a delo, I can assure you that our view is to employ someone at a level in line with their experience and qualifications.

Also, I would advise you get something in writing stating your starting level. I know of one Avionics AME with around 6 years experience in GA was told he'd start as a level 10 I think it was, but was dropped back to 7 when he started because another (useless) AME who had just finished his appreticeship whinged at a new starter coming in on a higher level.

You did, however state the 4 years experience was as an apprentice. In this case, you will start at level 7. Qantas trained apprentices start at 8 as they have the 4 years experience on Qantas types. (these are under the new EBA).

Any more questions, just ask.