View Full Version : Other jobs other than the airlines?

Muddy Boots
28th Jan 2010, 04:44
Ok everybody; let's have a really positive post!

We all know the airlines are on their knees at the moment and there is a recession on but there are plenty of other flying opportunities to be had other than just trying to fly for the airlines. In fact many airline pilots, if you ask them how they got there, will reminisce with glazed eyes about the days they hand flew smaller aircraft lower in more precarious situations than cruising along at 35,000 feet with the auto pilot on. Many wish they could turn back the clock and hadn't gone for the stable (I know there is no such thing before you all start on me) airline job and were still living the life in their experience building years.

I'm not looking for the obvious glider towing, parachute dropping, pulling banners or flight instructing. Let's think beyond that to fisheries protection or the Coast Guard Islander you see buzzing them at start of Top Gear each week. Also, let's look at flying opportunities to be had overseas too.

Over to you,

Muddy Boots

Muvo85
28th Jan 2010, 06:42
I fly a small, old, slow t.prop in a N. African country.
Unpressurized, >19 seats with absolutely no automation whatsoever. Hand flying from A to B, sometimes close to 4 hrs of holding it and it doesn't trim well. It's under EU ops and the time off is nice though. However, looking forward to things "picking up" so I can move on.
I'm glad to have it and I feel for everyone who can't get a job.
Good luck.

ExCitation
1st Feb 2010, 10:55
What a great idea to have such a positive thread! I shall re-visit for inspiration to see what comes up...