PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft turns back over on-board phone use

Trackmaster
28th Jan 2010, 00:11
Seems like this young man has found out the cost of being pig-headed.

United Airlines flight turns back over passenger's mobile phone use (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/united-airlines-flight-turns-back-over-passengers-phone-use-20100128-mzu5.html)

TheTiresome1
28th Jan 2010, 10:03
hahahaha hahaha hahaha

100% support for the airline on that one. Hard-ball rules are totally appropriate in this case. I would hope a life-time ban by UA and the fuel bill for the turn-back as well.

"Four American air security agents intervened." That must have been some fight. Was it a VERY important phone call? Was the passenger in some way "under the influence of [insert substance here]?" Or was it just the arrogance of youth?

bfisk
28th Jan 2010, 10:08
Somewhat misleading title/subject, don't you think? From reading the article, it seems as though the flight turned back because
A fight broke out
which I'd call an unruly passenger. Not so much the phone call itself.

Capetonian
28th Jan 2010, 10:14
Excellent.

I was on a LH flight once, on departure from FRA. A Frenchman was using his 'phone during the taxi out. CC asked him twice to stop, in English and in French. He ignored them and carried on talking.

After a couple of minutes the 'plane stopped, a small grey green vehicle drew up, the doors opened, and on came four armed Bundesgrenzschutzpolizei (sorry if the spelling is not correct). They went straight to him, and carried him off. He was last heard saying : "I will never fly Lufthansa again ....", to which one of the CC replied : "zis is correct sir, you vill never be allowed to fly wiz Lufthansa or any Cherman airline again. Goodbye."

Loud applause throughout the aircraft.

Da Do Ron Ron
28th Jan 2010, 11:41
If they did that here in the Middle East no plane would ever get to it's destination .....

On a flight last week between Doha and Bahrain the guy next to me was using two mobile phones all through taxi, take off and climb. I asked him four times to switch them off but he just ignored me until I spilled my orange juice all over his sparkling white dish dash :ok:

Dairyground
28th Jan 2010, 11:44
A possible solution to on-board mobile phone use at inopportune times is to install one or more universal microcell transmitter/receivers. The basic technology would be that proposed for authorised in-flight mobile phone access, where the radiated power is high enough to capture any phone on the aircraft that happens to be switched on, but low enogh to avoid interferene with the aircraft electronics.

Such a system could cut off all communication between on-board phones and the outside world. It could go further and discover any phones that happened to be switched on but not in use. With two cells, it would probably be possible to locate such phones to the seat row, but probably not to an individual seat. Further refinements could include calling all switched-on phones that are inactive with a demand that they be switched off.

This should be a patentable invention. If anyone has already patented it, then I apologise to the rest of the world for possibly leading them into a violation of patent rights. If it is not already patented, then its too late for anyone to make a valid claim. The idea is now in the public domain.

La Pouquelaye
28th Jan 2010, 12:20
He was last heard saying : "I will never fly Lufthansa again ....", to which one of the CC replied : "zis is correct sir, you vill never be allowed to fly wiz Lufthansa or any Cherman airline again. Goodbye."

I think the word schadenfreude would definitely apply in that instance.

ExSp33db1rd
29th Jan 2010, 07:46
until I spilled my orange juice all over his sparkling white dish dash

I'd have spilled it over his 'phone. Or just dunked the phone in the glass ?

HAWK21M
29th Jan 2010, 18:18
Dumb people.Why don't they just follow rules & make all happy

Two-Tone-Blue
29th Jan 2010, 18:41
HAWK, the world is full of these people.

1. I am an important businessman, and must keep talking to my company.
2. I am a teenager in love, and I will lose her if I don't text every 15 minutes.
3. I am rich, and airline rules don't apply to me.
4. I am [insert National character here] and therefore don't care anyway.
5. I am really VERY stupid.

They fly on every aircraft I have ever been on.

6. I am going to stand in the aisle and spend 10 minutes putting my bag in the overhead so that nobody else can get on the aircraft. :mad:

Dawdler
31st Jan 2010, 00:17
It does happen! I used to fly a great deal around Europe (less so now) I was always diligent about switiching off my phone before boarding. (for one thing it gave me a couple of hours peace). Then one day of course I forgot. We were on the taxi out of the apron at Clermont Ferrand, when my secretary called me. I closed the call immediately but judging by the reactions of my fellow passengers, I had contracted some highy infectious disease and was about to spread the germs throughout the cabin. They had never done anything wrong - ever, of course. I am not sure the crew even noticed, they certainly didn't say anything. Somewhat remarkably, I was allowed to fly with Air Littoral again.:\

tarmac-
31st Jan 2010, 08:32
Is there any evidence that mobile phones have caused interference with navigation ?

Der absolute Hammer
31st Jan 2010, 09:46
I can tell you that they cause interference in the headsets so perhaps those who are glued to them should provide evidence that they do not interfere with other aircraft kit.

bondim
31st Jan 2010, 10:03
They do. I remember once we could not read the safety demo until pax near the interphone switched his phone off. It interfered with the PA and interphone system.

Two-Tone-Blue
31st Jan 2010, 10:27
Have a nice long [and inconclusive] read ... HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft)

Personally, I'd sooner be 100% safe and at the same time avoid having to listen to twittering 'phone conversations from the people around me.

Re-Heat
11th Feb 2010, 09:39
Accidentally left my phone on in the flightdeck of an Airbus a few years ago - it was very obvious over the headset and radio. Whoops.

It may or may not interfere with navaids, but I'm not going to take that risk, particularly when it is annoying to hear it pulsating over the headset anyway.

StaceyF
12th Feb 2010, 17:56
Is there any evidence that mobile phones have caused interference with navigation ?

Dunno but place a mobile phone next to a pc monitor and watch the screen distort when the mobile talks to the network to establish which cell it should be connected to.

If it does that to an inaminate object like a pc monitor, I don't even want to think about what it could do to an aircraft navigation system.

Just turn the damned things off? I see the girlies at my gym at 6a.m nattering away whilst blitzing the treadmill - there's no way that call needs to happen, turn the fu*king thing off :confused:

ExSp33db1rd
12th Feb 2010, 23:01
Just turn the damned things off? I see the girlies at my gym at 6a.m nattering away whilst blitzing the treadmill - there's no way that call needs to happen, turn the fu*king thing off

just why ....... do woman have to talk all the time ?

Abusing_the_sky
13th Feb 2010, 00:51
just why ....... do woman have to talk all the time ?

Because we have to moan about you, MEN? :}

Ok, got me coat, me hat, me crew bag...i'm off...

INBKK
14th Feb 2010, 04:10
Mobile Phones do cause interference. My captain also kept his phone on until push back, in case of late message from operations, then would turn it off and drop it in his flight bag. Well you can guess what happened. One flight he dropped it in his bag and promptly put another binder inside his bag turning the phone back on. All throughout the flight we kept hearing the phone searching for a cell tower. Really irritating over the headset in the cockpit. Thank goodness, the captain had to get something later out of the bag and found the phone on.

ExSp33db1rd
14th Feb 2010, 05:00
.........Really irritating over the headset in the cockpit

Irritating, I agree, but did it cause the aircraft to perform a slow roll, or deviate into Russian Airspace over the North Pacific, and get shot down ?

If Security can find 11 cc of toothpaste to confiscate, finding a Mobile phone can hardly be a challenge, ban the bl**dy things off aircraft altogether will be my first act - when I'm World Dictator ( plus Taser zapping all those idiots who stand with toes against the baggage belt, so that those behind can't see, never mind collect, their bags !! )

Vld1977
17th Feb 2010, 00:17
One of the reasons, besides safety, to ban all mobile phone usage on board is that one of the main pleasures of flying is not having to listen to stupid loud conversations you are not interested in! An aircrat should not be like a bus!

Now a question: If a passenger is using their phones, say, after take off, and I (as a fellow paying passenger) take the damned thing from him and remove the batteries... Is the law going to be on my side? Am I liable for theft? or assault? or is it considered as an act of self defence, or safeguarding the general safety? Would it be regarded as a kind of "citizen's arrest"?

ExSp33db1rd
17th Feb 2010, 01:52
No, you'd be hammered. The law always protects the victim - you. Just like you'd get hammered if you killed someone one night with the shotgun you keep by the door if you discovered them driving off in your car that they had just stolen from your drive.

Vld1977
17th Feb 2010, 23:57
So, according to you, it should be all right to blow the brains out of a thief driving away in your car? :eek:

ExSp33db1rd
18th Feb 2010, 00:18
It's said that one shouldn't take the Law into ones' own hands.

What would the Law do to prevent ones' car being stolen from ones' private property ?

Dream Land
18th Feb 2010, 04:31
Where I work, I don't think anyone follows instructions to turn off the phone, have been operating aircraft with mobile phones now for about 22 years now with no ill effect, but this story is about following UAL's regulations and more importantly following the flight crew's instructions, he needs to be banned.

jetset lady
18th Feb 2010, 07:05
HAWK, the world is full of these people.

1. I am an important businessman, and must keep talking to my company.
2. I am a teenager in love, and I will lose her if I don't text every 15 minutes.
3. I am rich, and airline rules don't apply to me.
4. I am [insert National character here] and therefore don't care anyway.
5. I am really VERY stupid.

TTB, you forgot one..

6. I am going to keep my phone switched on because no "Flying Waitress" is going to tell me what to do.

Vld1977
18th Feb 2010, 19:16
So.. you would kill someone driving away with your car if the law allowed you to, am I wrong?

ExSp33db1rd
19th Feb 2010, 19:10
Vld1977So.. you would kill someone driving away with your car if the law allowed you to, am I wrong?

Or am I supposed to open my wallet and say " help yourself ' as I back of with a touch of the forelock ? It's my property, keep your thieving hands off.

Remember that old Bumper Sticker ? " You Toucha My Car I Breaka Your Face "

This is off thread anyway, sorry, that was my fault. Goodbye.