PDA

View Full Version : Qualifications for Engineering Apprenticeship

jmcc42uk
27th Jan 2010, 22:51
Hi guys,

I want to become an Aircraft Engineer and have been looking to get on to an apprenticeship scheme, problem is I messed about in school years ago and didn't even get 5 GCSE's ! Kicking myself now as I'm in quite a sucessful job now and could have done them blindfolded.

Will this stop me getting on to apprenticeship schemes?

Any other ways in?

Thanks

Jon

Flyboy543
29th Jan 2010, 11:34
It would depend what subjects you took and the grades that you got. Most employers will be looking for C or above in both Maths & Physics or some kind of science.

Look out on the Thomas Cook website, I hear they will be taking on 6 apprenticies this year. Virgin advertised last year, they did the application tests and interviewed down to 30 people, and after all that told the candidates that they were not going to recruit anybody due to the current economic climate.

There's lots of threads here and airmech about apprentiships if you havn't already searched for more info.

Romulus
30th Jan 2010, 08:50
Hi guys,

I want to become an Aircraft Engineer and have been looking to get on to an apprenticeship scheme, problem is I messed about in school years ago and didn't even get 5 GCSE's ! Kicking myself now as I'm in quite a sucessful job now and could have done them blindfolded.

Will this stop me getting on to apprenticeship schemes?

Any other ways in?

Thanks

Jon

Actions, consequences.

To be entirely realistic in this day and age you will probably need to go back to school and achieve better grades to be considered.

"Mucking about" in school as a reason for not getting good enough grades isn't terribly likely to impress any potential employer, you need to put your head down and do something to show you've changed.

jmcc42uk
30th Jan 2010, 22:01
Cheers for the info chaps.

I know I will probably have to go back and re-take some exams but as I am 28 now I'm a bit worried that a year or two down the line I will be too old for apprenticeships.

The other possibility is to take a national diploma in Aerospace engineering at a technical college, even then though I would be 30 when applying for apprenticeships

Can you be too old to start an apprenticeship?