PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical and ADD

Timaaah
27th Jan 2010, 21:44
Since first gaining my CPL and Class 1 medical about 20 years ago, I have been diagnosed with (Adult) Attention Deficit Disorder. I do take medication (Dex) but it is not essential. This is a genetically carried condition, meaning I had it when I successfully met all knowledge and flying requirements (& renewals) for a CPL. Because I'd not been flying for about 10 years and my medical had lapsed, the DAME filled out the forms as an initial issue. Guess what? CASA don't want to grant my medical, despite the precedent. Any advice out there?:ugh: I'm about to respond with Medical (Psychiatrist) reports etc. but I reckon this could be the beginning of a long bureaucratic battle.

squidie
31st Jan 2010, 19:52
I had ADHD was I was younger, I’ve been issued a Class 2 JAR licence, and I’ve been told a Class 1 won’t be affected. However, I was on Ritalin when I was younger and I would have been refused a medical if I was still on that now. I’ve not heard of Dex before or know any of the side effects etc. Best thing to do is speak to them with the letters from your physiatrist next time. Good luck

Timaaah
1st Feb 2010, 01:05
Thanks Squidie, I have got to prove to them that giving me a medical won't risk the universe and all aviation activity therein - typical bureaucratic response. I'm responding with medical report and hopefully pointing out the precedent. Glad to hear you've surmounted the challenges - you still have an ADD brain, but obviously your insight and strategies stand you in good stead. Cheers, :)