PDA

View Full Version : Daily flights to SXM

anakwalajinn
27th Jan 2010, 16:29
Hello and peace to you all :)

Finally, after almost 8 years of waiting I will visist SXM in the coming days!
Although I will not be there for a long time, there is much I want to do. But of course, the most important thing on the "to do" list is just relax a couple of hours at Maho Beach. I have tried to Google and search on the forum, but I could not find answers to my questions. So I was wondering:

How many daily flights are there to SXM? And when during the day is the best chance of seeing the big planes such as A340 & B747. How many flights land there a day, and out of those how many are these big planes (could be B757,B767,B737 also). Also, are there any pages where you can check landings at SXM, so I can keep myself updated and plan my daily schedule according to that? How many planes land during one hour, and how many of them are not props or small jets?

Also, please feel free to share your experiences while staying in St. Maarten, it does not have to be about spotting, but anything! Shopping, what to see and what to do, etc.

intortola
27th Jan 2010, 16:59
If you have time go over and spend the day in Anguilla (regular ferries from Marigot), Anguilla is a beautiful unspoilt island with beautiful beaches and some lovely if very expensive resorts, well worth the time.
I transit SXM quite often and can often see KLM, Air France, American, Delta etc there in the afternoons.
this seems to show arrivals and departures:
Track Flight Status, Airport Delays and other Flight and Airport Information (http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do)

Enter SXM as the airport, i could see arrivals and departures for today.Also shows eqt being used.

Tom the Tenor
27th Jan 2010, 18:16
You are a very lucky young man to be heading off to St Maarten. I am sure you have seen some of the St Maarten photos on airliners.net, planepictures and the like and in some photos you will see a shot of a beach bar just right of the runway threshold. This bar usually has a blackboard of some of the day's arrivals at St Maarten and the details are quite readable in some of the photos so why not check it out. Enjoy your trip. I am sure we would all like to go there but as KLM are looking for about Euro 844 from Cork I will passing on this trip form some time!

anakwalajinn
29th Jan 2010, 14:49
Thanks a lot guys for your replies.

That website was very helpful, I will use it frequently during my stay.
One question, how long does the ferry take to Anguila? And is it possible to fly there as well?

intortola
29th Jan 2010, 16:33
I have flown SXM-AXA (Anguilla) many times with Winair but am not now seeing they offer the flight on the website. I will next be in Anguilla for Easter, i will fly to SXM and then take the ferry. Ferry takes about 30 minutes, comes into Blowing Point in Anguilla from where you can get taxis etc. When are you visiting SXM?
Hope you enjoy your visit and get to see lots at the airport, when i stay in SXM i usually stay at the Sonesta Maho Beach, you get great views of landing flights from the rooms!
You also mentioned shopping, in SXM you can get some great deals on electrical items and cameras, especially in Philipsburg on the Dutch side, dont take first price quoted to you, always bargain and you will get a good deal.

anakwalajinn
29th Jan 2010, 18:31
Thanks a lot, will try to do that.

I tried to find flights from Winair to St. Barths, etc and they were more than a $100. And since I will only be in SXM for a couple of days, then flying from island to island can sure wait until next time I visit the area.

Last question: What kind of electricity input is it in SXM? For charging cameras, laptops, etc. I have the 2 male ends (EU standard, if I am not mistaken).

Edit: One more thing, does most shops take VISA cards, or do I need to withraw cash from ATM's?

intortola
29th Jan 2010, 18:47
I would take an international adaptor for the electric plugs, the Maho Sonesta has French and also US style sockets in the rooms, not sure if everywhere does this.
VISA is widely accepted, if negotiating for electric or camera purchases etc then biggest discounts would be for cash.

anakwalajinn
30th Jan 2010, 00:14
Thanks a lot :D

Appreciated!
I have very high expectations of SXM now. Does it live up to the expectations or should I not expect anything?

Have seen pictures and videos the past 8-9 years of the place, and finally I am heading over there!

RingwaySam
30th Jan 2010, 01:01
anakwalajinn it's a great place. I didn't have the bottle to stand under the A340s or B747s but I stood under an ATR72 and that was bad enough!

It's not the busiest airport so don't expect alot of big movements. You'll see the usual Winair Twin Otters and BN2s constantly - It's a great place just to chill out and watch the Planes. It might be busier than when I went (I went in May) because you seem to get alot of American/Canadian tourists at this time of year, aswell of lots of Business Jets.

Have a good time!

Big Eric
30th Jan 2010, 09:58
Here's a link to the fantastic Sunset Beach Bar (and don't forget that topless women drink free !)

Sunset Beach Bar - Wish You Were Here! - Welcome to Sunset SXM! (http://www.sunsetbeachbar.com/?framed_by=krayzeekris.110mb.com)

I spent 10 days there in July 2008 and it was easily the best holiday I've ever had.Just get a seat in the shade at the front of the bar and enjoy:ok:

It's much busier at this time of year than when I went but even in July the afternoons are fairly constant.

Have a great time.

JEM60
30th Jan 2010, 16:09
Fabulous place. Must visit again. Lots of inter-island stuff until afternoon, then the heavies arrive. Couldn't stay for long, as my cruise ship was leaving early eve. Nearly got decapitated by an Air France A.340. I was videoing it, and had to admit that I was a coward, and ducked.!!!.

Trinity 09L
30th Jan 2010, 20:56
Also take photos of the departing aircraft b4 they line up, AA FO's are willing to wave, you may get lucky with a lady!! Beware the sand when they blast off. Great place for duty free on the Dutch side:ok:

GK430
31st Jan 2010, 11:54
Mon, Tues and Wed are relatively quiet although KLM 747 arr on Tues p.m.
All mornings are quiet and the first larger a/c is usually an AA 757 from JFK and then there is a reasonable flow. Exec Jets tend to arrive Fri for the w/e and dep Sun or Mon.

Amerijet op most days Mon-Fri as does the Convair, but usually an early arr.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/z-Amerijet-1.jpg

Drinks are half the price of the well known bar, on the opposite side at the 'Boat Bar'
There are danger signs on either side and they are there for a very good reason - apart from a lot of forceful hot air, some of my photos show a lot of FOD mixed in with the jetblast. During a recent visit, there were regular Rwy inspections between 'heavy' movements due to a break up in the rwy surface.
Avoid getting anywhere near the back of Insel MD-83's as they never seem to use derated t/o power!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/Emirates/z-jetblast.jpg

AnthonyGA
31st Jan 2010, 12:01
FlightAware has schedules for TNCM (SXM):

FlightAware > Princess Juliana Intl Airport (Philipsburg, ) [TNCM/PJM] (http://flightaware.com/live/airport/TNCM)