PDA

View Full Version : Paying cash for frequent flyer status

Businesstraveller
27th Jan 2010, 14:43
At the end of last year I dropped from BMI Silver to Blueplus for a couple of weeks, until I pointed out they'd grossly under-credited my account with miles (anyway, that's another thread in itself). Point is, I was technically Blueplus (i.e. nothing at all) for long enough to receive a Blueplus card and pack through the post. First thing I noticed was the invitation card on top inviting me to purchase silver status for the next year. Do any other full service airlines operate such a policy, or is this a reflection on BMI's financial status and the economy in general?

Hartington
27th Jan 2010, 15:36
I got close to United Premier status last year and recently got an offer to purchase sufficient miles to get me there. I think BA do something similar.

Businesstraveller
27th Jan 2010, 16:19
Hartingdon - your experience sounds similar, but not quite as mercinary. The clear implication from BMI was that you could just pay cash for the next tear up, regardless of how close/far you were from it in terms of miles.

ab33t
27th Jan 2010, 16:24
I had a similar offer so I think its just airlines trying to get you to fly more.

Rolling Stone
2nd Feb 2010, 16:35
With a number of Airlines and Airport Lounge Operators (Servisair etc) you can purchase added perks but these are different to levels obtained through frequent flyer miles. IE. with ELAL for example you can pay an annual fee and become a "King David member" this gives you added baggage allowance, a separate/dedicated checkin desk, Airport security fast track, entrance to the ELAL Lounges, Etc. But this is separate and has nothing to do with the frequent flyer program and status levels obtained through flights booked and miles flown. A once a year passenger can be a King David passenger and enjoy the benefits (feel special) but will have a low standing compared to a Platinum/Gold/Silver card holder who has achieved this through miles flown. Could it be this that BMI are trying to sell you? or with your lower level do you still get the Airport lounge included?

Two-Tone-Blue
2nd Feb 2010, 16:39
It's all a personal calculation, isn't it? What do you really want, what do you NEED, is it worth it.

I'm an 'infrequent' flyer with BA [now it's a few times a year, mainly long-haul] ... so every now and again I need to top up my/our miles to facilitate moving up a class [to Club]. Getting the "Tier Points" on BA is really pointless unless you really are a frequent flyer; the benefits are minimal and frankly just seat choice.

Pounds or Posing? Pounds every time!! ;)

All Ahead Full
5th Feb 2010, 16:04
BA did offer a one off payment of £500 to maintain my Silver card last year, when I was 20 tier points short!

However I managed to get a flight in before the deadline to avoid, that not that it is worth anywhere near that!

If you write to them, they will normally offer an extension to allow you to gather enough points to stay at a certain level, but as has been mentioned unless you are flying a lot there is not much benefit apart from seat choice, and the lounges when you chance to use them.

Businesstraveller
9th Feb 2010, 12:22
The BMI offer was for straight forward Star Alliance/BMI silver FF status, rather than an El Al limited privaleges offer. I don't know if they now offer this to anyone who doesn't manage to re-qualify for silver/gold status before the deadline. Regardless, it became hypothetical as I got bumped back into silver when they sorted out my account.

Scumbag O'Riley
9th Feb 2010, 13:21
I got close to United Premier status last year and recently got an offer to purchase sufficient miles to get me there. I think BA do something similar.Would consider that for United but not BA. Would depend on price of course. United used to offer a years upgrade to Economy Plus for a one off fee. Always thought it was a sly offer as if you flew enough to get your moneys worth you would fly enough to get Premier and get into E+ for free anyway.

United also used to do deals where they would double your earning miles for three months for a couple of hundred bucks. That could be enough to make a difference. Certainly if you were looking at getting to 1K which included free guaranteed upgrades on cheapest economy fare.

As always, depends on how much they were charging and what was on offer in return, and how often you would use the service.