PDA

View Full Version : Peak Flow quesstion

wantobe
26th Jan 2010, 21:40
Hey guys I have question about peak flow and asthma,
I have some very mild exercise induced asthma . I was reading some other posts and people seem to be worried about flow past 600 on the peak flow meter.
I am around 175-180cm tall however I am quite thin, only 65kg. And I usually blow around 500 on the meter. I have NEVER had any hosp treatment or any sort of ATTACK what so ever. I barely ever use my inhaler as i dont need it.
But still I was a little bit worried as people blowing past 600-650 were worried about theres, so got me thinking.

Sorry if this sounds dum.

Bob the Doc
27th Jan 2010, 07:43
Wantobe

Predicted Peak flow is determined by age, height and gender. Using the ready reckoner I have here, at age 20 for your height (I am assuming you are male) your peak flow is predicted to be 488L/min. At 25 it is 500 and at 30 504L/min. You are therefore blowing your predicted peak flow and have nothing to worry about on a pure numbers basis.

I can blow massively over my predicted but then I used to be a tuba player!

There are other measures that might be required (formal Spirometry) but on the basis of one single measure, your Peak Flow is normal.

HTH

Bob

wantobe
27th Jan 2010, 21:17
Okay, thanks for the reply bob.
Is there anything one can do to possible do better in that spirometry test ?
Thank you.

Put1992
28th Jan 2010, 18:54
I'm 190 centimetres tall, I blow 750.

The CAA aren't issuing my medical until I'm seeing effective treatment for childhood asthma that I had 8 years ago. I pass the spirometry test fine, it's then they make me run around the building, I tend to be a few percentage under the FEV ratio that they base it on. The fact I can run 30-40 minutes with ease, Excersise regularly, and never use an inhalor, They wont issue until they see an improvement on my next spirometry.

Just another hoop to jump though, and they must be bonkers If they think i'll quit trying.

Thames virtual
28th Jan 2010, 21:31
Here's the link for the CAA guidance on Asthma.
Asthma | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=540)

The FEV1/FVC ratio they mention is defined as follows:

FEV1 Forced expiratory volume in one second Volume of air expelled in the first second of a forced expiration.

FVC Forced vital capacity Volume of lungs from full inspiration to forced maximal expiration.

So basically for a Class 1 medical you need to be able to expel 70% of your lung volume in the first second, and it shouldn't get "appreciably" worse after exercise. (They don't state what they mean by "appreciably" but I'm sure the AME's have some guidance somewhere). It's measured using a spirometer, which isn't the sort of equipment most GPs have.

For class 2 you are fine - as BobtheDoc said, you are achieving your predicted values, and as you'll see you only have to achieve 80% of predicted.

wantobe
4th Feb 2010, 04:55
really ? so at 18 it would be like around 450ml ish ? can someone confirm this please?

Also, was wondering if it is advisable to go get a spirometry test done before hand?

Thanks.

Put1992
5th Feb 2010, 17:41
really ? so at 18 it would be like around 450ml ishml? is that the value given to the peak flow reading, i've never looked?

The predicted value is based on your height, gender and age. But it is just a prediction.
Peak Flow - Normal Values (http://www.peakflow.com/top_nav/normal_values/PEFNorms.html)

And as mentioned, the value isn't going to relate alot to the spiromtry values the CAA are using. My predicted is 576, my actual is 750. As I mentioned, obviously didn't mean alot.

Cheers.

wantobe
6th Feb 2010, 11:26
well that sucks, oh well, hoping for the best, going for medical on tuesday. =]

Horatio Leafblower
6th Feb 2010, 12:15
I can blow massively over my predicted but then I used to be a tuba player!

Interesting - I am the same, and used to play Eupho and Trombone :ok:

Put1992
12th Feb 2010, 18:50
To let you know, i've been issued my class 1, but am on a regular inhalor dosage!

Happy Days!!

Put

gingernut
13th Feb 2010, 07:59
The CAA aren't issuing my medical until I'm seeing effective treatment for childhood asthma that I had 8 years ago. I pass the spirometry test fine, it's then they make me run around the building, I tend to be a few percentage under the FEV ratio that they base it on.

Good to hear you've sorted it out. Perhaps highlights the effectiveness (and acceptance by the authorities) of modern treatments.:)

wantobe
14th Feb 2010, 08:33
Thats great to hear man, you must be stoked.

Mine was a tiny bit lower then that predicted graph, he didn't seem to care that much.. he said its fine.
well ive gone for the medical, don't no when ill be getting it ? Hmm.. maybe the CAA take a while..

wallism
23rd Mar 2010, 17:13
PUT1992, do you mind me asking if that is just regular salbutamol? I'm going for my class 1 and that's my only worry (unless they find something else!) I've been OK at class 2 for 10 years.
wantobe, did you say if you were going for class 1 or 2?
I'm lucky to blow 500 age 45 180cm

gingernut
23rd Mar 2010, 19:47
Wallism, previous posts on here seem to suggest that controlled asthma, (with salbutamol/inhaled steroids-streps 1 and 2) seems to be ok for class 1, but excludes admission for RAF flying. I'm not sure on the position for steps 3, 4 and 5 (more inhalers and / or tablets).

I suspect the authorities are more interested in control/history of exascerbations/lung function etc, rather than treatment.

Let us know how you get on.