PDA

View Full Version : You're all financial duds

wayne_king
26th Jan 2010, 18:05
according to a certain Captain who has decided to patronise his colleagues in the latest edition of crews news.

Is this guy for real? 3 pages that can best be summarised thus;

I'm a financial :mad: up who couldn't keep my marriage together or run a business, had to give away or lost most of my wealth, and after 17 years on an A scale salary requires another 7 years on B scale to make ends meet.
Oh, and after retiring at my contracted age, I've taken 6 months off and with a seniority number high enough to buy a slot as a cadet entry second officer, am now back with 4 bars, and I can't understand why most of you are upset.

Well Peter, if you can't work it out for yourself, I guess I'm only wasting my breath here.

I did have to laugh at the irony of an article that spends most of the time telling us that at 30 you think 55 is miles away, and that this attitude is fundamentally flawed. Yet now at 55 you think 62 is good enough to get you through. Can't wait for the next installment in 2017 about RA70:ugh:

ab33t
26th Jan 2010, 19:31
Self justification

sorvad
26th Jan 2010, 20:28
WAYNE.............shut up.......oh sorry, just saw your location....you probably won't

airplaneridesrfun
26th Jan 2010, 23:11
Well, there is an editor, and he gets to pick the articles that his boss NR wants in the magazine. Therefore, that ridiculous article made it in the crews news. What a waste of paper and time all around.

Five Green
27th Jan 2010, 05:07
Well at least it should improve moral !!

FG

Black Cloud
27th Jan 2010, 06:01
You just made me more determined than ever to push for my BPP. When will we start proceedings I wonder???

Frogman1484
27th Jan 2010, 07:41
After 17 years on A scales, most of which on capt pay, a multi million dollar defined benefit provident fund, housing on top, and you cannot make retirement!!!

Peter you are a loser mate!!!

Let me give you some advice...next time do not publish your failures on crews news!

I think I would rather get advice from one of the many other guys that have managed to retire at 55.

Night Watch
27th Jan 2010, 14:12
All I can say is what a Bloody looser.....

I stopped reading the article after the second paragraph (wish I had stopped sooner).

Get a life!! You tosser!

arse
27th Jan 2010, 14:20
I think I enjoyed his previous Crews News article more. That was when he told us about having a tube shoved up his bottom, to wash it out! :ooh:

I guess some people need more help that others; and some people feel they need to help when it is not needed! To each his own!

water check
27th Jan 2010, 15:39
Guys, I completely agree that the article was somewhat ill conceived. I do think that Peter was well meaning, and intended it to be informative and thought provoking. Your responses are the complete opposite: mean spirited, spiteful and cowardly (anonymity is really brave isn't it?). If you don't agree with what he says, fine, ignore it. At least he had the courage to put his name to the article. The rest of you are typical of the venal, self centered individuals who can only attack and never contribute. Perhaps you should wait until you are in your 50's before you open your traps....because I can guarantee that for many of you your present arrogance will prove to be a bitter pill to swallow.

Captain Dart
27th Jan 2010, 20:52
Regarding the latest Crews News, I'm sure the posters on this thread who used the word 'looser' when I think they meant 'loser' wouldn't have picked up the multitude of spelling mistakes and 'howlers' in the float plane article in the same issue. Does anyone actually edit or proof read this rubbish?

Lose = not win

Loose = not secure, as in brain between ears.

ron burgandy
27th Jan 2010, 23:30
Water Check, that's your real name is it?

Captain Dart,
If you're going to write to the "editor" of the mag, why don't you suggest an apostrophe in the title as well- Crews' News. Be careful though, I recall a quite well meaning and nicely worded letter from that gentlemen of gentlemen Steve Schutt. He was pointing out the error in "towing the line" as opposed to "toeing the line." The "editor", who I seem to recall had just started with the company, wrote a less than gracious reply.

Steve the Pirate
28th Jan 2010, 06:31
Ron

I don't think Steve was of German lineage. But I agree, he was certainly a "gentlemen (sic) of gentlemen".

Do'nt you hate it when you try pointing out other's gramattical and speeling errors only to make a howler yourself? I know I do, thats' for sure.

Give my regards to Veronica.

STP

ron burgandy
28th Jan 2010, 07:06
Thanks Steve, when in Rome........ I still don't know what that means.

Veronica's well by the way, hopefully she won't leave me, and I won't have to come back to work for less money after retiring.:}

Steve the Pirate
28th Jan 2010, 07:42
Ron

Amoto quaeramus seria ludo...

I've just read the article and I agree with water check. The guy has fallen on his sword publicly to let the clever guys out there know that even the cleverest can stuff up.

Seriously, if any of you financial gurus can tell us all how to make the future brighter then put your money where your mouth is (or should it be mouths are?) and submit your own article - or are you too scared about being ridiculed by someone who does/doesn't believe in the relationship between Elliott Waves and Fibonacci, or that gold is where you should be or that property's the only way to go?

All the bloke's saying is that life looks a lot different when you're looking back with your rose-tinted spectacles lying broken on the floor.

STP

PS. Does anyone know what the winning Mark 6 numbers will be this week?

crwjerk
28th Jan 2010, 14:46
What about the other guy in another article who said he joined in 1979? As if he hasn't got enough money by now....................................

water check
28th Jan 2010, 16:35
Ron, the difference is that I was not attacking an individual by name. I was castigating a group of individuals because of their behaviour, not opinion. If you can't understand the difference....well, considering the usual intellectual rigour of the posters on this site i'm not surprised. Peter meant well. I find it tiresome to see 30'somethings feel they have life 'figured out', when anyone a bit older realises that life can throw you all sorts of curve balls, usually at the most inopportune of times. Peter should be thanked for giving people something to think about, and the benefit of his experience. In fact, many of those who are insulting him would do well to heed what he says, as one day they may have cause to thank him. It is a shame that this airline has so many arrogant and thoughtless people flying for it.

spleener
29th Jan 2010, 04:28
Dear Pete,

Thanks for your latest letter in Crews News. I really can’t believe that with a quarter of a century in this company on A scales [which are at least Triple B scales] you are not a $quillionaire!

I mean, how easy is it for all of you old Pharts taking up my Left Seat Real Estate?? Why don’t I give you the benefit of my superior expertise – Here’s my “B.S. Retirement Plan” [Patent Pending]:

1. Stay with the hateful bitch[es!] you married.
2. If you have to get divorced, don’t pay anything. Let your kids starve.
3. Don’t take a basing outside Hong Kong. Keep the ol’ provident fund intact.
4. Don’t accept any pay cuts from the company.
5. Don’t accept any changes in conditions of service.
6. Don’t accept any extension to retirement age. Very important.
7. Avoid paying any bills
8. Set up a super successful business for retirement.
9. Never ever take any advice from Old Guys. They know nothing.

I tell you; I can predict the future! It is so easy: You old guys should all retire next month. I would therefore be promoted to Captain a day later. With my experience flying over the ‘Nam [Syd’nam, Pack’nam Rock’nam], I won’t need a Command Course. With my management skills I would be Fleet Manager within a fortnight. A week and a day later, as DFO, my financial expertise will have made Record Profits and sorted CX for the next millennia. It will only take 3 minutes to formulate my successful business plan so that I will be retired on my private island by Easter. :ok:

Listen to me; I deserve it all. You guys don’t. Don’t give me advice. You know nothing. Get out of my way.:ugh: As I keep saying; I’m special. Why won’t you listen??!! :*

trident-too
29th Jan 2010, 07:26
Dear Mr.Jerk(aptly named methinks) Maybe this guy actually chose a career he enjoyed&still does-unlike,it seems, a lot of our brethren who can't wait to"bale out"! Money,by the way, is not always the prime driver in life,believe it or not.

yokebearer
29th Jan 2010, 07:37
Money,by the way, is not always the prime driver in life,believe it or not.

To state the obvious - the lack of money seems to be the prime driver for all B scalers .....

Five Green
30th Jan 2010, 05:15
Yoke Spleener Trident

Well meaning the article may well be. However it was a article that is divisive and as such should not have been published. The moral in the lower ranks has never been lower in all my time here.

All of you in support of PH must consider this, if it is hard to retire at 55 after earning A scale Captain's wage then for just a second come down of your high horses and imagine how hard it will be to retire after 65 after 35 years on B scale FO wage. Especially since the pay scale is capped.

HAPPY LANDINGS

spleener
30th Jan 2010, 10:10
5G
Absolutely.
The silent majority of B scale are professionals. They have, of course my empathy, sympathy and support. I enjoy their professional conduct and social discourse.

My post was aimed, in partial jest, at the vocal wannabee minority.

Retire at 55 on B scales? 20+ years here on "A" scales and I still have to be here. [WTF?!!] Of course I understand...:(

tiger321
30th Jan 2010, 12:37
While my impression was that PH was genuinely trying to be helpful, his timing and "trust me" attitude are way off the mark. Anyone, A/B/C scale, that goes into business without doing their homework/due diligence deserve the "million dollar moron" tag.

What I found far more disturbing in the magazine though was NR laying down the initial groundwork for a revised (read - no) housing scheme.

Personally, and I think I speak for most of my mates, if they were ever to do away with or massively reduce the housing allowance then walking away from this job will be a very easy decision. I'm sure NR's and his cronies are very well aware that the reason most people are here is not for the basic salary.

Nick - If I live and work in a country other than my own (it doesn't matter how long I do this for) then I am an expat.

I hope that during the housing talks (if they ever occur)that the AOA squash this little cost cutting beauty before it gets any chance to get airborne. I am afraid that messing negatively with the housing is a deal breaker.

404 Titan
30th Jan 2010, 21:37
tiger321

Maybe we should be asking NR and all the other executives and managers to surrender their housing allowance or provided accommodation at the same point they will be asking us to because if, under “THEIR” definition we aren’t expats anymore, neither are they.

Liam Gallagher
31st Jan 2010, 03:16
A good point, NR can answer his own question...

Tiger321.... fair enough, however my crystal ball says that Housing will be "managed out" just as "B", C and then COS 08 were "managed in". A combination of divide and conquer and siege will be employed.

NR tried to get new joiners on a reduced housing package at the previous review. I recall the AOA GC initially recommended the package. Wisely, the AOA membership rejected the package we ended up the existing package for all non-cadets.

What NR could not get at the front door, he will try and get at the back door. All new pilots will be cadets or based DEFOs... so no housing. I imagine as the first of the over-60 pilots appear in HK he will try and remove their housing. Once he gets a large enough number of pilots on zero housing (or at least $24K). He will start to phase out housing for the rest.... divide and conquer.

It will take 10-15 years, but how long did it take to get rid of A scales?

Bear in mind, my crystal ball always says England will win the ashes and the World Cup.... so more than a pinch of salt is required...