PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways- What can I expect?

Mr Moustache
26th Jan 2010, 16:02
There seems to be a few agencies looking for people for short term (six months or a year) contracts to fly for Jet Airways. I am seriously considering applying as I think India would be a facinating place to experience.

Any ideas what I could expect in terms of lifestyle, how the company treats its people, working rosters, anything of interest. Is it a happy place to work?

I would like to hear about any aspect that you could share with me,
cheers,
Mr M

B737NG
26th Jan 2010, 17:57
Mústache...

Expect nothing and get it all. The roster changes frequently especially if a Indian is on a early flight ánd want to stay longer in bed. Last time they would accom´modate you in Appartements instead of Hotel. When you are for your DGCA interview in Dheli then make sure you do not use the Bathroom at all, your shoes could go wet..... The pay was on time and the people in the SM-Center where trying to help ýou out but only to get rid of you very fast. It is a exciting place and 6 to 12 Month would be a increadable time in your life. Try the wide variation of food, the diffrent spices and what all comes with it. It is worth and I am sure it will be in your memories.

The flying part itself is a straight forward thing, introduction into the company without and BS and the People who give you GS know what they are talking about. You should be thru all in two Months, subject to the Administrative hurdles of the Authorities involved. Enjoy it........

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Mr Moustache
27th Jan 2010, 16:05
Thanks NG,
I thought it would be an adventure and it sounds like I will not be disappointed!
Mr M :ok:

Tinwacker
27th Jan 2010, 16:28
Mr.M from sunny Scotland to sunny India you are 'Brave'.

Just finishing my tour and will not really be sorry except for the great guys I met and worked with to the fondness of Indian food, cooked plenty and learnt lots.
Helps if you can become veg eater so get used to the terms veg and non veg.....

For me is wasn't a socially exceptable place to have resided and just did my own thing unless inviting round local guys to sample bland European food minus ten chillies...

You will have to visit the dreaded FRRO after 14 days for registration so have fun. Anything to do with government paperwork visas or airport passes etc. you will want somebody else to do the donkeywork if possible as you will soon find out after you have pulled your hair out....no jumping the queue Scotty..

BLR is best for weather, DEL extreme temps 2'C - 48'C with high pollution and dust storms, BOM hot and wet and MAA hot, wet and v'humid.
Make sure your accomm has adequate water and power back-up..

No Pi**ing on the walls - I read a book about the high ammonia content in the air - each city is much the same.

Enjoy the experience still, you will talk about it for ever.

TW

Mr Moustache
27th Jan 2010, 16:52
Thanks TW,
I guess Indian bureauocracy is famous and aviation is full of it as well so the combination requires patience! Thanks for the info but what is 'FRRO'?
cheers
Mr M

Boomerang1
27th Jan 2010, 21:45
It is the foreign registration office that you have to register with. Not really that big a deal as Jet Airways will help you with the process. It only took me two hours last week. Getting a prepaid cell phone card with Vodaphone was much more difficult and a good introduction to Indian paperwork formalities. Just come to India with a laid back attitude and you will be Ok.

Mr Moustache
28th Jan 2010, 14:26
Thanks Boomerang1,
I will have my best laid-back attitude fully tuned up!
Any other info about India would be most welcome,
cheers
Mr M

HAWK21M
29th Jan 2010, 18:31
The laid back attitude is very true.....can get difficult for a person not used to it.
However English is well known & food fantastic

MrBernoulli
29th Jan 2010, 19:42
The food is good ..... you may just not want to eat it all the time! :ok:

High(er) altitude India is better, I find - not so humid! HYD, BLR.

Chazbird
29th Jan 2010, 20:17
I miss India and am trying to go back, this time with Jet (in my opinion the best) - I have a currency issue, so I 'dunno....

Anyway, I encourage you to give it a go. Food is fantastic, quite different region to region. Despite the seeming way over the top daily street situations it is actually very laid back (more so down south), and so very friendly - I made great friends there. There's amazingly deep culture, obviously, all over the place.

Oct to June flying is easy, mostly dry (except SE) but hazy (fog up in the NE/Punjab). For some, monsoon can be a problem. ATC is, um... OK, but the lack of ATC services can become problematic when things stack-up (ie Monsoon time & ATC)

India is a completely unique country, and while I think there are some similarities with Pakistan (people from both countries will deny this of course) there is no other place remotely like it, and at the moment India is thriving.

Mr Moustache
30th Jan 2010, 09:49
Thanks everyone.
You are all positive so I will look forward to the screening in February.
cheers
MrM:)

SuperflyTNT
19th Mar 2010, 21:32
Mr Mustache,

Hope all is good in your end. Did you get through the screening with Jet airways in Feb, 2010 ? What were you asked ? What was the contract like ? Any idea if they require any FO's ? Your feedback will be highly appreciated. Thank you

Mr Moustache
25th Mar 2010, 16:40
Hi S TNT,
I did the screening in Feb. The interview was very straightforward , mainly about the contract and the company and mainly answering my questions. The Sim ride was with the Chief Pilot. The flying was out of Chennai and was all single engine. The flying was mainly procedural and the use of map mode was not permitted so it was all compass rose. Hold and then VOR app, G/A, visual circuit on which I got a bit high so another G/A then a radar vectored ILS to a night landing.
I am currently (still) waiting for the DGCA security clearance which seems to be taking ages.
Regarding F/Os, I think its Indian nationals only. They want to phase Ex-Pats out and this policy is being encouraged by the DGCA but, currently, there is not the experience to fund the planned expansions in India so they still need Captains.
Hope this is of interest.
Mr M