View Full Version : The "50 Hour" Check

The Heff
26th Jan 2010, 15:36
I apologise if this is an inappropriate forum to post in, however, I feel that enough technically-minded chaps will be available here to answer the question: What is involved in the fifty hour check?

I'm aware that for Certificate of Airworthiness aircraft only a CAA approved engineer can conduct the check, but for Permit to Fly aircraft this is something the pilot can do without CAA/LAA qualifications. Therefore I'm not keen to pay someone else to do a job that I can do myself, except that I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, exactly.

If I was going to do a fifty hour check on a Permit to Fly aircraft, what would I have to do?

nodrama
26th Jan 2010, 17:52
Every aeroplane/ helicopter/ engine has a manufacturers recommended (or maybe 'minimum requirement' would be better worded) maintenance schedule....

Giving us a clue to what aircraft type it is will help.

A and C
26th Jan 2010, 17:56
The generic answer is that the CAA publish the light aircraft maintenance program as CAP 411 and this is a good place to start, it will tell you what must be done but not how to do it.

CAP 411: Light A/C Maint Schedules (Aeroplanes) | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=204)

In terms of paperwork you will require to have the aircraft & engine mantenance manuals as well as access to the the applicable SB,s. The aircraft MM usualy has the checks that the maker requires to be done.

Tooling will depend on the type to be maintaned but a good mechanics toolbox is a place to start but it is likely that some type dedicated tooling will be required.

The 50 reqires some parts to be changed so expect to have to buy filters, oil seals, gaskets, oil, grease, locking wire, brake pads & the like.

My advice is to pay an LAA inspector to show you how to do the check before you attempt it yourself, the LAA also run trainning courses from time to time that might be usefull, at the end of the day a little trainning is likely to keep you safe and save you money in the long run.

ab33t
26th Jan 2010, 19:37
Some of the checks do require a sign off from a inspector

The Heff
26th Jan 2010, 20:27
The actual aircraft that I'm hoping to purchase is a Taylor Monoplane JT-1.

Thank you to A and C for the link to CAP 411; after a brief perusal I found the relevant section, although it has opened my eyes to something I hadn't considered: The 150 hour check. I realise that the annual inspection has to be signed-off by an LAA Inspector, but is the 150 hour check something that I could also do myself or would I need to get the LAA Inspector for that as well?

I think I'll have to have a look for the LAA training courses, I know they do a fair few of them but unsure of what the dates are.

Pilot DAR
26th Jan 2010, 21:08
Heff,

If you are maintenance technically minded, I'm sure that your building a good relationship with a suitably qualified maintenance inspector would result in your being able to do some of the work, and saving some money while you learn. If, however, your objective is to "get around" having to hire a qualified maintainer, you're probably pointed the wrong direction.

Having a list of items which must be inspected at a given interval is one thing, but having the capability and facilities to do the inspecting, and knowing what you have to look for when you get into it, is rather vital. If you don't know if you know it, you don't.

A qualified inspector is well worth what you have to pay him. A maintenance shortcoming can become very expensive and inconvenient in a short time, and never at the right time!

As you mention that you are considering the purchase of an aircraft. You are (I sure hope) making plans to have thorough pre-purchase inspection done by an objective inspector. That inspection should be much more detailed than a 50 hour check. Overseeing that inspection will provide you with an insight as to what a detailed inspection includes, but will not in, and of itself, be your one stop inspection, setting you on your path to self accomplished maintenance.

Bear in mind that in the real world of safe aircraft ownership, the inspection items and pass/fail criteria are per type of aircraft and its equipment, not the basis of its registry. The fact that an aircraft is registered as a "permit" aircraft should not be seen as an opportunity to do less maintenance. Safe is safe, the laws of physics, mechanics, airworthiness and gravity don't care how the aircraft is registered!

It costs money to fly, there's just no way around doing properly...

Pilot DAR - aircraft owner/maintainer/pilot

A and C
27th Jan 2010, 06:20
Pilot DAR has hit the nail well and truly on the head, I just wish that the paperwork pushing clowns at EASA would take note that doubling the paperwork is not going to make the aircraft safer.

Quote:- The fact that an aircraft is registered as a "permit" aircraft should not be seen as an opportunity to do less maintenance. Safe is safe, the laws of physics, mechanics, airworthiness and gravity don't care how the aircraft is registered!

The LAA system won't make the work you have to do on the aircaft any cheaper (an owner can do the 50 hour on a privatly run C of A aircraft) a but it will cut down on the paperwork costs.

As for the 150 hour check, this question has never been raised before as all the permit aircraft that I look after as an LAA inspector get to the Annual check before doing 150 hours. I should ask the question of the LAA !

The Heff
30th Jan 2010, 17:19
As you mention that you are considering the purchase of an aircraft. You are (I sure hope) making plans to have thorough pre-purchase inspection done by an objective inspector.

That's a piece of advice that's been said to me time after time, and I think its probably advice worth listening to. I'm arranging for an LAA Inspector to conduct an annual check to issue the aircraft with a new Permit to Fly before I buy. The aircraft doesn't really need it, but I can't think of a check more thorough; hence money well spent.

I would like to be able to conduct more of the maintenance myself, partly to cut costs but partly just for the joy of looking after my own aircraft.

Pilot DAR
31st Jan 2010, 15:57
I'm arranging for an LAA Inspector to conduct an annual check to issue the aircraft with a new Permit to Fly before I buy

Heff, that's a good start, but I advise more... Here's why...

An "annual check" and a prepurchase inspection should be two different types of inspections. The PPI should complelely include the elements of an annual inspection. But, it should go further too.

An Annual inspection is basically "What does it need to be airworthy now (and for the next year)?" A good PPI will tell what it will need to be airworthy a few years from now. What's going wrong with it now, which is still airworthy, but will cost you money in years to come?

I'm just working on a painfully complex design approval for the replacement of a very simple single part on the wing spar of a Piper twin. During the PPI of that aircraft 9 months ago, the corroded condition of this part was not fully appreciated in the context of what action was required for airworthiness in the future. Worse than that, (and unknown at the time) Piper will no longer make this part available, and a repair (by replacement with a "made part" - yes, sometimes it is legal!) is not supported by Piper. So what do you do with this plane? It could be scrap! - The whole airframe! Piper's response to me on this dilemma (with respect to this particular model- I don't know what they say about their other models) three days ago was:

"Piper Aircraft does not assist with repair approval nor do we approve repairs or manufacturing of our parts in the field."

Piper did not contradict my observation that this could permanently ground this aircraft. The sad thing is that the aircraft had more than $100,000 work done in the mean time, which could all be for naught. The bottom line is a simple thing not understood during a PPI can be very costly.

A good PPI by a knowledgeable inspector is vital!

Pilot DAR

Genghis the Engineer
1st Feb 2010, 10:43
There is a significant error in your understanding of the system Heff, although it's a common one.

Any aeroplane will have an associated maintenance schedule. LAA HQ at Turweston can advise you of the specific schedule for your planned Taylor, although my guess is that it'll probably be the latest form of LAMS, which is in CAP 411.

LAA /CAA / the-law / survival-instinct... all of these require you to ensure that the aircraft is maintained thoroughly and to at-least the minimum standards contained in that schedule. So far so good.

You are allowed as a qualified pilot on a PtF aircraft to do most of that work yourself, or you are also allowed to delegate it to somebody suitable - such as a licenced engineer or one of the many little companies who do this sort of thing, usually very well.

And annually, there is a requirement for a Permit revalidation inspection and check flight. This is not the same as the annual inspection and maintenance - that is your responsibility as owner. It is an audit of your good care and maintenance of the aircraft.

As such your using a permit revalidation as part of a pre-purchase inspection is a good idea. But never ever, once you are an owner, let it lull you into any sense that it stops you having to take responsibility for absolutely everything yourself.

Oh yes, and you'll be glad to know that LAA do run regular courses for its members on how to maintain their aeroplanes. Get on one of those - usually at Turweston, and excellent value, and much will become much clearer.

G

Tinwacker
12th Feb 2010, 12:35
The Heff....

Young and foolise but I hope not as flying at altitude takes no prisoners...

Therefore I'm not keen to pay someone else to do a job that I can do myself, except that I don't know what I'm supposed to be doing, exactly.

Read your words very carefully again...

There has been written some good advice in this forum to assist you but your safety would and should be at the for-front.
Your car when it fails can be stopped by the kerb side your aircraft when it fails..........

My original training totalled six years and has never stopped to-date.

Fly safe and enjoy for ever.

TW