PDA

View Full Version : Incident at EGCC/MAN

HON
26th Jan 2010, 07:20
Any news of an incident at Manchester this morning - MAN down to single rwy ops.

Captivep
26th Jan 2010, 07:46
Sitting in BA lounge at MAN and have just been told runway closed because of an emergency on a FLYBE aircraft. Some inbound flights diverted to BHX.

One fellow passenger was told at the desk that the problem was smoke in the cabin...

k3lvc
26th Jan 2010, 08:18
BBC News - Passengers evacuated from plane at Manchester Airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8480264.stm)

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 10:02
Some inbound flights diverted to BHX.

Why???

the airport still had a single runway in use and was only closed for 15 minutes!

FL370 Officeboy
26th Jan 2010, 10:09
Usually with this sort of incident ATC tell everyone there is an 'indefinite delay' whilst it is decided how long they shall be closed for. There are airlines that just don't carry enough fuel to hang around and find out if they aren't sure.

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 10:12
one BA flight (from Gatwick) diverted - thats all......

CornishFlyer
26th Jan 2010, 12:38
Why do FlyBE seem to have more evacs due to smoke/fire than any other airline. That is the 3rd I can recall in the past 12 months...

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 13:06
Why do FlyBE seem to have more evacs due to smoke/fire than any other airline. That is the 3rd I can recall in the past 12 months...

Just plain old bad luck i would say.....nothing more than that.

1013 with altsel
26th Jan 2010, 16:14
Do you realise just how many flights Flybe operate! Each Dash can fly upto 8 sectors per day! Thats alot of flights, so 3 minor problems in 12 months isnt so bad!

CornishFlyer
26th Jan 2010, 16:19
Of course I'm aware of it but ezy don't seem to have so many or Thomson, Thomas Cook, Eastern Airways etc. Maybe the just get reported more or they end up closing more high profile airports than the other but mid 2009 I ended up diverting to Bournemouth as one evacuated on the runway at LGW. Maybe just bad luck Fernajet said. Just seems more than most other carriers. Hmmmm

Boing7117
26th Jan 2010, 16:30
Well come on Cornish.... don't keep us in suspense with your "hmmmm" statements. Tell us what you really think.... what are you really getting at...?

1013 with altsel is bang on when he talks about the number of sectors carried out PER DAY on the Q400. That's an awful lot of taxi, take-off, climb, cruise, descent, approach, land, taxi - on a daily basis, multiply that by a week, then a month, then a year, compare that to the number of flights of your other airliners you mentioned, come up with the correct stats and then let's see how much substance is in your "hmmmm".

simonchowder
26th Jan 2010, 16:46
Does it matter what he thinks really , he has obviously no knowledge of the business so his thoughts/ comments are of very little value.

Boing7117
26th Jan 2010, 17:05
Anyone would think I flew Q400's for a living...

CornishFlyer
26th Jan 2010, 17:15
I'm not criticising at all. I was just curious. Working for EZY, the aircraft also do 8 sectors a day regularly so I was merely wondering why the Dash's are more affected than 737 and 319's. I have friends at FlyBE and am not trying to get at anything. It just seems odd that the Dash's seem to be more affected

Cymmon
26th Jan 2010, 17:46
Maybe it´s a similar problem to the oil smell in the Bae 146?
SAS originally "retired" their fleet of DHC8´s due to undercarriage problems?
I´m not knocking the a/c, in fact I flew one Man-Edi but just seems strange some a/c types get more publicity.

Fernanjet
26th Jan 2010, 18:11
Maybe just bad luck Fernajet said. Just seems more than most other carriers. Hmmmm

Hmmmmm - what's that mean - a conspiracy theory do you think!?
bad maintenance!?

it's bad luck - leave it at that - it's just that it has been reported when it's probably less eventful than it really was.

the press love to over exagerate any incident.

have ryanair not had 3 aircraft go off the end of 3 runways recently?

so are they also to blame for the incidents or is it bad luck for them too?

did TCX not have a divert due to burning smell/smoke?

TOM had a looney attack the flight deck, bird strike resulting in engine fire...

the list can go on for any airline

it's a machine that will sometimes fail to work 100% and will result in a minor incident.

that's all......

CornishFlyer
26th Jan 2010, 19:19
Sorry, the "Hmmmmm" wasn't meant to be inquisitive or suggestive. Apologies if misconstrued. It just seems like the Dash's have had a lot of bad luck. Need more Embraer's :ok:

ab33t
26th Jan 2010, 19:48
I must say that the Dash's have had a dash of bad luck over the last two years , it always seems to be one or two cariers

JobsaGoodun
26th Jan 2010, 21:07
Flybe operate in excess of 500 flights per day, the majority of which occur domestically within the UK and hence we hear about them.

If the bulk of BE's flights were between EU countries then it is possible that we are less likely to hear about such an incident if it occurs in a different country.

FL370 Officeboy
27th Jan 2010, 13:47
Nice to see the usual expert contributions to such threads. I suppose this justifies its moving to the Spotters Corner so they can ponder as many 'hmmms' as they deem necessary.

CornishFlyer

Being MAN based I remember being stuck in the hold for a while last year whilst two TCX 757s made emergency landings within minutes of each other...

Two jets make emergency landings at Manchester Airport - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1180483_two_jets_make_emergency_landings_at_manchester_airpo rt)

..did you rush onto PPrune with your beloved 'hmmms' after this?

ab33t

I must say that the Dash's have had a dash of bad luck over the last two years , it always seems to be one or two cariers

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean.

CornishFlyer
27th Jan 2010, 14:02
As posted on my last message, the hmmm wasn't meant to be suggestive. It just seems that there have been a higher number of smoke/fume evacs on the Dash's in the past 12 months something not as many carriers have experienced. I'm not saying FlyBE have more emergencies as that obviously happens to us all at some point. It just seems odd that there seemed to be more of these cases and was wondering if there was a reason. JobsaGoodun's post that the fact a lot of FlyBE flights are domestics would mean that chances are, if they have one of these it will be more reported in the UK than if it happened elsewhere in Europe seems like the most logical. This was the sort of answer I was looking for not for a load of touchy people to think I was suggesting something.

Now breathe deeply and..... relax

AircraftOperations
27th Jan 2010, 18:29
A MAN based handling agent told me of a Flybe Dash 8 that had instrument problems on Monday, that required a local standby. Don't know if it's crossed wires with the smoke, or another incident?

smudgethecat
27th Jan 2010, 19:52
A handling agent no less?,.. must be true then:uhoh: