PDA

View Full Version : Air Malta A320-200 / Ryanair 737-800

Curious2010
25th Jan 2010, 09:44
Hi, I'm sorry if this is a bad place to post this question, however I'm looking for expert advice and don't really know where else to go.

I'm due to fly back to UK from Malta on Wednesday and after much to-ing and fro-ing still can't decide between Air Malta A320-200 (convenient time & arrival, Gatwick) or Ryanair 737-800 (inconvenient time & arrival, Luton).

I'm a fearful flyer, and just heard about the very sad and unfortunate Ethiopian crash earlier today. This is compounding my anticipatory anxiety. :yuk:

I'm more inclined to go with Air Malta, but in your opinion, which of the 2 is the better airline, with regards to pilot training/experience etc?

Any thoughts very much appreciated, and apologies for intruding in this forum.

L4key
25th Jan 2010, 10:35
You have to be trolling, that is no way a serious question! :E

If not and you want serious advice I wouldn't do either. Airbus's, as we know, always crash; and Ryanair, as a cost saving measure don't do safety procedures.

757flyer
25th Jan 2010, 10:38
simonchowder you really have crossed the line on this one!

In answer to your question curious 2010 both airlines have an excellent safety record with very good reputations for crew training etc, the aircraft with both airlines are maintained to a european high standard.

Fear of flying is horrible and as much as i could give you all the usual statistics etc it will not help with your fobia. May i suggest you talk with your doctor regarding some medication or treatment? I wish you all the best and safe travel.

Curious2010
25th Jan 2010, 10:51
@simonchowder - thank you for your helpful & insightful response.

@L4key - as I said, I'm sorry for intruding on here and for asking such a question. I was prepared for a bashing!

@757flyer - genuine thanks for your response. Yes, stats don't help treat the irrationality of this fear ;) I had looked up both airlines safety records and they've done well thus far but amongst other things, the age-old Airbus vs. Beoing debate doesn't help with flight anxiety!

purplehelmet
25th Jan 2010, 10:58
curious 2010.
which airline did you fly out to malta with?
what did you think of the service and flight?
is ticket price a factor?
which london airport is more convinient for you?

L4key
25th Jan 2010, 11:10
Well in that case apologies! It is a brave question on here!

For what it's worth though, my advice for anyone who is afraid of flying is to watch the cabin crew if ever you feel especially tense, they do it every day and carry on pouring drinks etc quite happlily even in the worst turbulence etc.

Only if they look worried should you start to panic in other words.

Have a pleasant trip

champair79
25th Jan 2010, 11:35
I could be a right b*stard and tell you that the Ethiopian crash as far as I'm aware involved an ex-Ryanair 737-800. :mad:

Aside from that, I do feel for you. I can imagine how traumatic it must be to have such a phobia. Ignoring all their stick that Ryanair get, you must remember that they comply with all the safety rules and the crew are well trained - exactly the same as Air Malta. Consider them equal on that front.

Really, you have to look at the price, and the convenience to decide what flight to take. Ignoring those factors, the fact that it's an Airbus v Boeing shouldn't come into it at all. Both are extremely safe aircraft.

Champ :ok:

Fernanjet
25th Jan 2010, 11:41
it can only come down to price and convenience......seriously.

if you want anyone on here to tell you the likely odds of which flight would have an incident, so as to take the other flight, then i'm with simonchowder on that one.

757flyer
25th Jan 2010, 11:45
simon chowder you are an ass, I hope in the future you are treated in the way you treat others, idiots like you are why this site has gone so downhill.

purplehelmet
25th Jan 2010, 12:13
champair79.
the ethiopian 737 which crashed was ex globespan g-cejp according to reports.
757flyer agree simonchowder is an ass and wind up merchant.
curious2010 are you any wiser on who your going to fly with yet?

Icare9
25th Jan 2010, 13:05
curious2010: Ho ho, so how did you get from Twickenham to Malta in the first place? I'd use the same means for return.

How did you control your phobia on the way to Malta, use the same means for your return...

Obviously you don't believe the statistics that flying is the safest form of travel.
Perhaps plane crashes come in threes, better wait for the next 2 to go down then..... anyway it's only a couple of minutes from 30,000 feet to the deck, so you can easily while away that time watching the hero pilots wrestle with the controls and steer the burning plane away from the crowded orphanage....

ManofMan
25th Jan 2010, 13:52
Curious2010

The problem you have here is that no matter what anyone tells you, you will only believe what your anxious mind tells you too.

Both airlines fly many sectors a day with little or no issues.

Will someone telling you RYR is better make you flight any more enjoyable....nope.

Try something like Rescue Remedy and dont listen to the idiots on here who have nothing better to do than take the pi$$

Avman
25th Jan 2010, 14:34
Curious2010, there are no guarantees of course (there's a far far greater chance of you chopping it on the way to or from the airport in an RTA), but both carriers are as safe as you can possibly expect. I don't personally fly with Ryanair, but that's not related to any safety concerns. If you want a better service, take Air Malta.

Cloud Bunny
25th Jan 2010, 14:42
I could be a right b*stard and tell you that the Ethiopian crash as far as I'm aware involved an ex-Ryanair 737-800. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Whats your point?

Curious 2010, as a current Ryanair Pilot who has flown into Malta plenty of times I can assure you that as far as getting on a Ryanair aircraft you have nothing to fear. I could spend hours writing on here all the stats that prove that flying is remarkably safe but when you have a phobia, it's that rational thought process that tends to abandon us. We all have little fears that we can't rationalise and flying is probably the most common. I have had on plenty of occasions people who are nervous about flying come up on the flight deck when they board the aeroplane and we do our best to show them around the controls and what we'll be doing at various stages, explain what some of the noises they will here during the flight are etc etc. It does tend to relax people and more often than not they say at the end of the flight that it really helped them.
In terms of a flight safety issue I would say that you have no problem with either Airline and really you should make your choice based on your own comfort, cost and convenience.
If you have any particular questions regarding the flight itself please free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.
Take care and happy flying.

Capetonian
25th Jan 2010, 14:53
I am flying Air Malta in a few weeks time and have absolutely no hesitation at all in doing so. Past performance as far as safety is concerned doesn't really mean a lot, anyway KM is a 'safe' airline statistically and your chances of being wiped out in your car as you drive to the supermarket are probably thousands of times greater than if you were to fly a hundred sectors on a 'dangerous' airline.

If your concern is based on the aircraft type, as opposed to the carrier, I would just forget it. Both are supremely safe.

I wouldn't under any circumstances fly on Ryanair, but that is mainly because of my dislike of their business practices, although I do feel that the immense pressure on the crews to perform quick turnarounds is likely, one day, to lead to an error. I hope I'm wrong.

In this case, in your position, I would ignore the safety angle and go for the choice that suits you best. I am pretty confident that Air Malta would be a far more pleasant experience.

Enjoy the trip.

Curious2010
25th Jan 2010, 17:01
@purplehelmet - I flew out here w/ Air Malta (overall, very good). I've done this trip a number of times on Ryanair, Easyjet & Air Malta. I seem to experience the worst turbulence w/ Air Malta - probably just coincidence, however this is forming multiple unhelpful neural connections between the two! I've done a great deal of short & long haul flights, however my fear started with a particularly turbulent Air Malta flight (probably only light to moderate but it felt like more...:ugh:). Air Malta is more convenient all round, so I've booked that.

@L4key - I do watch the F/As however I also know they are trained to appear calm at all times so it doesn't help me much ;)

@Icare9 - I fully believe & appreciate the statistics, however it is the situation itself which is difficult psychologically - absolutely no control over the situation, no means of escape, the sense of vulnerability, vivid imagination etc. It's last on my list of the ways I'd want my life to end! My fear hasn't stopped me from flying, but I think it's fair enough to want to know about pilot experience/training etc, especially in this fierce cost-cutting climate.

@Cloud Bunny - thanks so much for the v. kind offer - I will do.

@everyone else who has responded helpfully - thanks & much appreciated.

@those pi$$ takers, I hope you at least got a kick out it! :-P

Final 3 Greens
25th Jan 2010, 20:23
Any thoughts very much appreciated, and apologies for intruding in this forum.

Over 200 sectors on Air Malta and I'm still here :ok:

Curious2010
26th Jan 2010, 08:46
@Final 3 Greens - :) are you a pilot or F/A? Are you still with KM?

sta rawlls
26th Jan 2010, 13:54
why ?
:confused: Are people like L4KEY allowed to post so much rubbish on these sort of forums

L4key
26th Jan 2010, 16:11
Go on then, I'll bite -which bit? The genuinely 'rubbish' and thoroughly tongue in cheek first post, or the contrite and apologetic response to the OP?

Air767
30th Jan 2010, 06:26
take a Valium 10mg before boarding the plane so you will be calm and sleepy during the flight!!