PDA

View Full Version : Can I sit JAA-ATPL theory exams without a JAA Class 1 Medical?

neilisindahouse
24th Jan 2010, 21:43
Hi guys,

I'm due to sit my first lot of the 14 JAA ATPL theory exams in May, but I'm just wondering do I have to have a valid Class 1 medical for just sitting the exams? I know I'll need it for the flight portion, but I'll be doing that after all the exams are done.

Hodin
24th Jan 2010, 22:04
first option would be to pass the question to your fto.
if u take part in flight training course (also ground studies) u have to be reported to the aviation authority of ur country as a student - they need your medical.
it is also in ur intrest, maybe the medical examination brings up you cant get a class1 med - so u dont have to burn money for ground studies

BillieBob
24th Jan 2010, 22:24
You do not have to hold a valid class 1 medical until you apply for the CPL - all of your flying/flight training up to that point can be completed with a class 2. If you are not flying, you do not need to hold a valid medical at all, the only pre-requisite for ATPL theoretical knowledge training is to hold a valid ICAO PPL.

BigGrecian
24th Jan 2010, 22:25
No JAA medical required - just an ICAO PPL - which doesn't even have to be valid which means no medical required.

Interestingly though nothing in JAR FCL 1 about entrance requirements so check with your local auhority

Don't ask your FTO it's your responsibility not theirs!

Kirks gusset
24th Jan 2010, 22:34
Lazors directs that you do NOT have to have a medical, however:

Medical fitness
In order to apply for, or to exercise the privileges of a
licence which is accepted without formality by other
mutually recognised JAA Member States, the applicant or
licence holder shall hold a medical certificate issued in
accordance with the provisions of JAR-FCL 3 (Medical),
appropriate to the privileges of the licence and shall be
mentally and physically fit to exercise safely the privileges
of the applicable licence.

Note: Applicants for a licence are strongly advised to
ensure they meet the medical requirements for that
licence before committing themselves to any substantial
expense in satisfying other licensing requirements.

In other words, make sure you will pass a Class 1 .

IrishJetdriver
25th Jan 2010, 10:06
To be honest, you'd be mad to part with a penny in training until you've passed the class 1. The medical must always be the first step.

neilisindahouse
25th Jan 2010, 12:05
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have done most of my training in Canada and have a Class 1 medical there, so was contemplating holding off on getting the JAA Class 1 medical until I start the flight training, simply because the expense of getting it here.

IrishJetdriver
25th Jan 2010, 13:46
There are differences in medical requirements. Get a JAA Class1 asap.