PDA

View Full Version : Aol 9.0vr

chips101
24th Jan 2010, 19:43
AOL 9.0VR always tells me there is a "connectivity problem" and I should restart my computer! Restarting makes no difference! AOL helpline always say "Ahhh.. you have vista, uninstall AOL and reinstall". Makes no difference tho :ugh: Any ideas much appreciated.

jimtherev
24th Jan 2010, 22:29
Are you absolutely absolutely absolutely determined to use the AOL interface? Just about any other browser / email client will work better - the only argument for using t'AOL one is to get into their private chat rooms - or it used to be; haven't been there for years meself.

Even Internet Explorer in its various flavours (much despised by many on here, but, hey, it's on your computer already) does a better job. And then you can google for a faq sheet on accessing yr AOL mail account on Outlook Express. Once you've got up and running, you can then come back here and seek advice on the very best of the very best... and stand back to be confused by conflicting advice! But seriously, there's quite a few good 'uns out there which will do the job.

Jim

MarcJF
25th Jan 2010, 21:53
Bin AOL - i suffered for years, they day it left my PC everything started to get better

mixture
26th Jan 2010, 09:55
Bin AOL

Agree with MarcJF.

Go to a real ISP. The days of AOL are over..... in this modern broadband age they've got no real place in the market anymore, from my point of view their SWOT analysis is pretty poor ...... not much in the "S" and very little available to their business model in the "O". :ok:

Zen, UKOnline .....many others I could mention......

(Avoid big incumbents and corporates - e.g. BT, Sky , or you'll be back in square one !)

(And no, I don't work for an ISP, so no personal interest).

mcdhu
26th Jan 2010, 16:49
Chips - rt click on the AOL icon on the taskbar, select 'One Click Fixes' select 'Connectivity' and click 'Rebuild the Adapter'

That usually fixes any start-up problems - if it doesn't, try some of the other choices.

As others have said, AOL was fine when I got my first PC 10 years ago and it is perhaps now beyond its sell by date BUT I find AOL Bb fast and stable and the thought of jumping to another provider of dubious credentials makes me stay with it.

Good luck
mcdhu

al446
26th Jan 2010, 20:47
AOL are sh1t imo, also like herpes on a computer, you will never get rid of the bar steward. A truly awful interface and ISP.

gas path
26th Jan 2010, 22:21
Chips
Why not do away with the AOL software and just use them as the ISP?
I use them this way, nice and stable, and never dropped a connection.
You will need a router tho' and not one of those usb BB modems.

The only thing that strangles my speed is distance from the exchange and what BT euphamistically call 'white copper' ...the (corroding!!) aluminium cabling from the exchange to the house.:suspect: