PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Group Lead December 2009 OTP Figures

MyerFlyer
24th Jan 2010, 07:58
Interesting...

http://www.bitre.gov.au/publications...ber%202009.pdf (http://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/14/Files/BITRE%20OTP%20Report%20December%202009.pdf)

On Time Arrivals:

Qantas: 90.2%
QantasLink: 84.9%
Jetstar: 84.5%
Virgin Blue: 84%
Regional Ex: 80.7%
Skywest: 80.3%
Tiger Airways: 76.9%

Cancellations:

QantasLink: 0.6%
Qantas: 0.7%
Tiger Air: 1.7%
Jetstar: 1.9%
Virgin Blue: 2.2%

VBPCGUY
24th Jan 2010, 13:52
VB would have been pulled down alot by the major IT outage in December in MEL and the onflow effects of it several days afterwards.

my oleo is extended
26th Jan 2010, 09:33
The Rat also had I.T issues with outages and the usual folly one expects at Xmas from any carrier.
There are too many variables, reasons and causes to group any particular carrier's delays into one single bracket.
The Government number crunchers who collate the figures base the figures upon actual stats, and aren't interested in actual reasons for the delays. Fair enough I say !

Mr. Hat
30th Jan 2010, 01:47
Looks like they got it for on time departures to if i read correctly. Good on em.

QF often bang on about arrivals but this ain't worth a pinch a s..t .

Another point is how one carrier measures it to the next is different and QF's is based on ACARS (correct me if i'm wrong) whereas the others are not so you could only say that QF's are the only truly 99% accurate figures.

Ken Borough
30th Jan 2010, 02:09
QF often bang on about arrivals but this ain't worth a pinch a s..t .Hat, old chap, I have to disagree. Sorry. I think you will find that most punters arrange their travel according to the time at which they want to be at their destination. That being so, a punctual arrival is very important.

As blocktimes are based on a 65% probability, the chances of a punctual arrival are good, even if a flight departs late. The punter scores a quinella if the flight departs early or on-time and arrives ahead of or on schedule. :)

On high density domestic routes, I think that the punctuality standard is a wee bit generous. As airlines report delays greater than 3 minutes (the IATA or industry standard), why doesn't this flow to the published statistics rather than 15 minutes?

As to ACARS, Jetstar also employ Acars. According to their web-site, the use of clumsy English suggests that they are the only carrier that measures departure and arrival times with ACARS. This is what they say:

Jetstar uses the computerised Aircraft Communication Addressing and Reporting System (ACARS), to record on-time performance data, a much more accurate and reliable process than the manual systems used by other airlines.Virgin are a manual operation; the pilots report departure times and any delay code/time on their company frequency after departure. Consumers can only speculate about the accuracy of their data - I would hope that it's accurate and faithfully reflects the facts. (Yair, I know ACARS can be doctored so don't start!).

lowerlobe
30th Jan 2010, 03:08
I think you will find that most punters arrange their travel according to the time at which they want to be at their destination.
Sorry Kenny..but it all depends whether they are flying to their objective or flying back from it....
If they finish a meeting they are not going to wait for a number of hours and miss a few flights just so that they can arrive at a time to have their wife pick them up at the airport....

I remember talking with a ground staff at one of our domestic airports a few years back.He told me that when a flight was going to be late they would re-schedule it ,give it a different but similar flight number and bingo an on time departure and arrival.Even better for the office people like Ken who might even boast that it left early and arrived early.
The punter scores a quinella if the flight departs early or on-time and arrives ahead of or on schedule.
All that it meant was that the original flight was not quite as late as they originally thought and then the office statisticians come out with these wonderful numbers to show good they are...

You can prove anything with numbers......

Mr. Hat
30th Jan 2010, 05:19
Ken you are right arriving on time is also important. But in the scheme of on time performance measurement it isn't relevant. How the whole airline is performing prior to the pushback is what is measured by the statitics.

I didn't know the big J had ACARS - well there you go learn something new every day. I doubt very much that the stats from VB are based purely on pilot entries hazard a guess there would be some ground agent input - having said that can't be as sharp as ACARS.

ad-astra
30th Jan 2010, 05:46
The flying customer is a funny breed.
Nothing like it anywhere else in the animal world.

Sydney to Perth and one of those days that had no headwinds and we achieved an early departure.
Arrived Perth about 40 minutes early.(VB already fly at ECON so any further input by us was pretty much wasted.)

Passengers happy...Nup!
"We will now have to wait in the terminal for 40 minutes for our pickups"
The crew and I just shook our heads.

By inference I took it that they would have been much happier if I had held over Perth for 40 minutes before landing.

No wonder airline crews drink!

slice
30th Jan 2010, 07:47
Hat - VB crew enter the time in the flight log from ac clock. Unless there is a discrepancy somewhere that is where out/off/on/in times come from.

clark y
30th Jan 2010, 19:40
Lies, damn lies and statistics.........