PDA

View Full Version : Empire of the Seas

Mick Strigg
23rd Jan 2010, 19:36
What a fantastic series!

I thought that our country formed a Navy, but it seems that the Royal Navy formed our country!

847NAS
23rd Jan 2010, 19:58
Indeed it is a little knwown fact that the strength of the Royal Navy was and is conjoined to the economic prowess of the United Kingdom!

It is a rather good and objective look at the Navy, showing it's triumphs and more often than not it's failures, a balance I respect.:ok:

The presenter is a pretty smart guy too!

darn
23rd Jan 2010, 20:02
Agreed! I thought it was fantastic. Wouldn't fancy being in the navy in those days though.

847NAS
23rd Jan 2010, 21:12
Well I don't know, fancy a nice biscuit, salted pork and grog?

Even worse than that is the disease and quality of medical care, well what care there was that is.

Add to that the 3 tonne man-moved cannons and towering masts to climb and you have yourself what was considered a top career choice in those days:}!

Fly Navy:ok:

henry crun
23rd Jan 2010, 21:28
If you want to find out what the life of an odinary seaman was really like in Nelson's navy, read Jack Tar, by Roy & Lesley Adkins.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jan 2010, 21:29
BZ to the BBC for this one. It would make rather useful compulsory viewing for all Members of Parliament and quite a few (OK, most) in the Lords. :D

Tankertrashnav
23rd Jan 2010, 21:55
I had to laugh when the guy showed the presenter into the walk-in freezer and he said "It's freezing in here!"

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Union Jack
23rd Jan 2010, 23:26
I thought that our country formed a Navy, but it seems that the Royal Navy formed our country!

Nicely said Mick, and that was probably because the following extract from the 1653 Articles of War, namely that:

"It is upon the Navy, under the good Providence of God, that the health, prosperity, and peace of this realm do chiefly depend”

was taken a great deal more seriously then, and for many years to come, than it sadly is today. :ok:

Jack

Memo to self: Must draw Minigonads's attention to this .....:ouch: