PDA

View Full Version : Vnukovo, Moscow

shawn.barker
23rd Jan 2010, 18:45
Headed to Vnukovo for an overnight and wanted to know if there any places recomended or places to avoid. Thanks for all of the input!!

Cheers
:ok:

absolute zero
23rd Jan 2010, 19:55
I suggest you avoid Vnukovo all together !! very expensive what ever you do

shawn.barker
23rd Jan 2010, 20:01
Trust me...I would much rather be in the Bahamas or somewhere warm sitting on the beach. However I don't get paid to do that, at least not as well.
However, the owner wants to go, so that is where I will be.

Any other advice?

jetopa
23rd Jan 2010, 20:34
Some hotels are a real rip-off. They will charge you for extensive use of your minibar, even though you haven't touched it (the was a thread about this in this forum). But generally speaking the Hilton and the Swissôtel are really okay.

I don't know how long you are staying there, but if it's short, then there is a hotel nearby (a few km's southwest of the airport - handling should know) which I have used a few times and it was ok for shorter overnights. It's really far out, your can't do much there (except using the excellent pool or cross-country skiing), but it had free wifi etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

FL470
23rd Jan 2010, 20:55
For a late-in-early-out take the Imperial Hotel. It is only a 15-minute ride into the forrest. Very nice hotel. But there is absolutely nothing to do within a 30km range.
For a longer stay I recommend the Renaissance Hotel just north of the city center. Very nice hotel with friendly staff. It is only about a 45-minute walk to the red square. there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Only downside to this hotel is the travelling time to Vnukovo during rush hours - it can take you anyting from 45 minutes to three hours :eek:

galaxy flyer
23rd Jan 2010, 21:01
For a shortish overnight, the Imperial is the way to go--avoids a long drive in and out of the city. Don't eat in the "beer garden" place across from the entrance, the dining room inside is better.

If going downtown, the Marriott on Tverskaya was good last time there, 15 minutes to Red Square, nice alleyway with a great Swiss-style restaurant diagonally across the street from the Ritz on the way toward Red Square. The Swisshotel is also good, a bit closer drive in from VKO, it is south of RS.

GF

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Jan 2010, 08:19
Yes the restaurant x the street is very good...called NIGHT FLIGHT.....the other one down the ally is OK too.

Imperial is fine, just for one night. I was there the week it opened, NO English spoken. Has improved.

The Renaissance near Olympiski, is very good. better IMHO than the other Marriotts, but not as plush, the 12th floor lounge is excellent for crew, just like home. Take the Metro, to Red Sq, dont walk, too easy to get lost, and coming back is UP HILL.

The Swiss Hotel, is IMHO not as good as the Marriotts, but it looks nice, has fantastic all electronic room, and one or two eating houses close by. Pizza X the street is fine.
Hilton is fine, nothing to write home about.

I got to stay in almost all the hotels in Moscow as they opened, quite a challenge.

Dont stay at the Airport Hotel, at VNO, or especially DMO. Thats an order.

glf

Denim and leather
24th Jan 2010, 09:04
Hello,

Avoid downtown,the traffic jam is a nightmare.
Safe flight.

dan1165
24th Jan 2010, 11:32
Yes Imperial is fine for short nights . Nice hotel in woods :) . Sometimes the check in take ages !!!!!! :}

shawn.barker
24th Jan 2010, 12:51
Thanks to all....it looks as thought we have settled on the Imperal. As it is close to the airport. I will let you know how it is soon.

swedefly
24th Jan 2010, 13:13
"PLOT: A family heads to an isolated hotel for the winter where an evil and spiritual presence influences the father into violence, while his psychic son sees horrific forebodings from the past and of the future." -imdb.com

-If you go there... do try the Russian Beef Stroganoff...very tasty!

dan1165
24th Jan 2010, 14:42
I tried it !!!! :ok:

Der_Fischmeister
24th Jan 2010, 18:15
Shawn ..Imperial is wrong decission ...dont let them think you always will accept that S.....hole...

Greetings from the Hilton ,very nice ask for special rates..

galaxy flyer
24th Jan 2010, 21:18
The Stroganoff is quite tasty....where's the Hilton? I thought Hilton bought one of the Stalinist "wedding cake" buildings, but it couldn't possibly be open yet.

Der_Fischmeister
25th Jan 2010, 05:19
Hilton Leningradskaya ,21/40 Kalanehevskaya Street Moscow.

German Management ,very good ,very familiar.

But OK to be fair ,if you come in at 11 and fly back at 9 in the morning the Imperial is a Overnight Emergency .

Gulfstreamaviator
25th Jan 2010, 06:39
German hotel management, is very good, as is Swiss.

Perhaps the Hilton should be at Borodino, then all the Germans would stop there.

Hats on, door open.

glf

Der_Fischmeister
25th Jan 2010, 07:32
THEE GERMANS ARE EVERYWÄÄÄÄÄHR!!!!
Watch it :}