PDA

View Full Version : Dassault Falcon 50/900/7x Preflight Mid Engine?

RPness
22nd Jan 2010, 21:53
Hi,

my apologies if this question would be a better fit in the technical questions...

How does one inspect Engine #2 on Dassault Three Holers like the 50/900/7x - i think about the visual preflight. Is there a camera inside to ensure that there's not a young bird familiy in there that has founded a new home in there over night? :-)

Don't hit me - I'm really looking for an answer on that question for quite a time. I've found information on some de icing companies that won't guarantee the middle engine's absence of ice, information on aerodynamics of the s-duct etc. - but nothing clear about pre flight inspection.

Kind regards,
Peter

PS: Must be a nuisance to cover the engine intake for longer parking periods etc, too?

PPS: I don't want to bash Dassault - in contrary, I'm quite convinced of the way Falcon Drivers talk about their birds here!

Green Cactus
23rd Jan 2010, 06:40
very simple, there is a "s duct door", to inspect the engine 2 inlet.

GC

CaptainProp
23rd Jan 2010, 06:45
That's correct. You can inspect the "S-duct" for engine 2 via a door that you access from the "hell hole". We usually only put engine covers on in the winter when snow is present or expected. Personally I would recommend them to be put on for extended periods of parking or for parking in the sandpit as well.

RPness
23rd Jan 2010, 15:20
Hi,

thanks a lot for the information, both of you!

Kind regards,
Peter

sky51
23rd Jan 2010, 17:08
Hi there,

Just for info, as a Falcon 50/900 driver, I have always been warned about using the S-duct inspection door for a preflight check.
There are very sensitive switches on this door that can cause alarm on warning panel.
Mechanics have proper briefing on this. Pilots usually don't .....

So be very careful when putting it back in place ....

I usually put cover on N°2 engine intake when staying more than one night, except during adverse weather.

Enjoy,

Chris.

con-pilot
23rd Jan 2010, 17:28
I don't know, I always had my co-pilot worry about that stuff. :p

Okay, seriously now. As posted above there is a hatch that you can inspect the number 2 inlet in the hell hole. As sky51 posted you must take care when closing this hatch.

As for installing the number two inlet cover we only did so if staying longer than two nights or if the weather/conditions dictated that it should be covered.

This is of course is for both the 50 and 900, I've not operated a 7X, but I would assume the same for that aircraft.

just.drill.it.out
23rd Jan 2010, 19:25
for the switch on the s-duct door, once the door is closed, press on the switch. If you can hear it make then the door isn't shut correctly, if it doesn't click then its already made and therefore shut.

i personally think the reason most pilots dont like it as they cant get the ladder and centre engine cover back in there !!:ugh:

neil armstrong
24th Jan 2010, 07:40
Trying to put the center engine cover on standing on a slippery wing with a bit of wind is fun.
If you get it in without hitting anything, there is a good chance it will not be in anymore when you come back.
Where is my engineer!!

Neil