PDA

View Full Version : Kulula humour

Selfloader
22nd Jan 2010, 12:51
A colleague has sent me pictures of a Kulula 737's new livery. What a hoot. Unfortunately can't post those pics here, but believe they can be found on the "jetphotos" website. Maybe someone out there has the correct URL. Love the CO-CAPTAIN reference on the starboard side of the aircraft.

ab33t
22nd Jan 2010, 22:42
What a laff

Journey Man
23rd Jan 2010, 12:05
Always fun to sit on the balcony at Lanseria and see these things. New livery looks great

JetPhotos.Net Photo » OK-PIK (CN: 28612) Kulula.com Boeing 737-86N by Hanys (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6756186)

surely not
23rd Jan 2010, 12:51
In light of recent reports of a falling standard of training experience for todays pilots, is this a recognition that flight deck need help recognising parts of their aeroplane on the walk round checks?

Selfloader
23rd Jan 2010, 15:33
I think kulula had baggage handlers and pax in mind. Maybe also caterers.

tu144
25th Jan 2010, 06:03
They must have a good sense of humor at that airline. :D

MungoP
25th Jan 2010, 12:38
Wow.. A Management With A Sense Of Humour !
I'd Be Happy To Fly For Them... :)

Storminnorm
25th Jan 2010, 14:33
That's a wonderful training aid.

onetrack
25th Jan 2010, 14:43
All I'd need, is to see the bloke in the left seat thumbing through a book entitled, "Flying for Dummys" - and you couldn't get me on board, even with elephants shoving me along......... :suspect:

ab33t
25th Jan 2010, 15:01
Damn I have already bought all my books !!

davidash
25th Jan 2010, 15:11
A great airline with excellent training standards. BA in disguise! Don't be concerned about the sense of humour.

mostlylurking
26th Jan 2010, 08:52
Just as much fun on the inside too: a laugh a minute!

The pre-takeoff briefing by the cc is very funny and everyone actually pays attention – it’s too good to miss.

On a recent landing in JHB we were hit by strong gusts with the pilots obviously working overtime to keep everything pointing in the right direction as we crossed the threshold.

We passengers were bracing ourselves for a hard landing but when the touchdown was smooth there was enthusiastic applause and some humorous comments over the PA.
Everyone was still smiling when we disembarked.

I.R.PIRATE
26th Jan 2010, 11:34
Mostly lurking: you obviously haven't flown with them much...after 8 years or however long they have been going it gets pretty tired. Same jokes, same k@k and still nearly always late, if you aren't overbooked.

Other than that - cool airline...:rolleyes:

Capetonian
26th Jan 2010, 15:38
The pre-takeoff briefing by the cc is very funny and everyone actually pays attention – it’s too good to miss.

I. R. PIRATE said it for me .... yes it is incredibly irritating when you hear the same scripted speech read out time and time again in a dull monotone by FAs who are bored with it and really can't carry it off. It's really not a very funny airline and they are often delayed or reschedule at short notice. Trying to get through to their call centre and listening to their pathetic recorded announcements is enough to make you want to commit murder. I try to avoid Kulula.

I prefer SAA or Mango, the new crews may be a bit rough around the edges at times but they try hard and the fun is spontaneous and comes from the heart.

JCO7
27th Jan 2010, 05:45
the same scripted speech

Not true. There are many different "scripts" and new material is added regularly. As for prefering SAA, you either work for SAA or have very low standards - their onboard service sucks.

Capetonian
27th Jan 2010, 08:54
I travelled about 8 sectors per annum with Kulula between 2003 and 2008, and about 4 in the last year. There seemed to be very little variation on a basic theme and I found the feeble and unsuccessful attempts at humour very tiresome and possibly counter productive in that most people seem to ignore it.

I don't work for SAA and I agree that whilst their service is inconsistent, something I find unacceptable, the average is pretty good. I do about 30 sectors per annum with them, long and short haul. I have no reason to promote them, but I feel safe and relaxed with them and that's what counts for me, and they are reliable, far more so than Kulula. Other people may have different criteria and that is why there's a choice out there. Yours is Kulula, mine isn't. You're happy and so am I.

I.R.PIRATE
27th Jan 2010, 10:23
mmm, JCO, still waiting to hear one of the 'new' scripts. Although I guess I missed my chance seeing that I prefer to fly on an airline that gets you there within 4-6 hours of planned arrival time.

eL4
27th Jan 2010, 10:46
[ www. P L A N E S .cz ] - B737-86N - OK-PIK - Kulula.com ( CAW / MN ) - Ostrava ( OSR / LKMT ) (http://www.planes.cz/cs/photo/1068912/b737-86n-ok-pik-kululacom-caw-mn-ostrava-osr-lkmt/?win_res=1024)

Here it is from other side... The Big Cheese is hilarious :}

mostlylurking
28th Jan 2010, 10:01
Yes, their published departure times are also a joke - approximate is too mild a word.

As to the jokes - I'm sure they don't have a jokes department writing new material daily, so it is what it is, but for me it's still better than the usual vinegar faces on SAA and at least they are not rude and incompetent (I’m thinking of my experiences with SAA on international routes here).

The point I wanted to make is that tired as it may be, the humour during the briefing causes people to pay attention and I think that is worthy of praise.

I.R.PIRATE
28th Jan 2010, 10:27
Yup, Kulula shouldn't have times on the website to book by.

They should just have : Tuesday (perhaps), or This Weekend (we hope).

Then I wouldn't be so pissed off when I miss appointments because they would be telling the truth.

I am so thankful that we have an Airline like 1-Time in SA.:D:D;)

Contract Dog
28th Jan 2010, 13:20
Amen to that! 1 time all the way, and the hosties are kinda cute too :E(some of them)

Dog

Capetonian
28th Jan 2010, 15:26
Yup, Kulula shouldn't have times on the website to book by.

They should just have : Tuesday (perhaps), or This Weekend (we hope).

Reminds me of Rhodesia Railways. In the front of the printed timetables there was an 'advice to passengers'. The times stated in this publication are an indication as to the time before which trains will not depart, and are not necessarily indicative of the time at which any train or service will depart.

Now I don't think they even print timetables, in fact I doubt if the trains are even expected to operate.

arf1410
28th Jan 2010, 20:32
look real closely at what is says under "loo" ...:ok:

Senior Pilot
28th Jan 2010, 20:52
http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/0/2/6/38796_1264117620.jpg

:ok:

:cool:

Selfloader
29th Jan 2010, 08:08
Nice one Senior. When I opened this thread, I tried to post the pics I had been sent. Didn't know how so called in our IT boffins. They said, after much clicking and clucking, that the website did not permit the posting of pictures. How did you get it right?

yellerKat
30th Jan 2010, 14:39
Right-click on the pic in (say) Jetphotos and use the full title of the object - the one that ends in .jpg!

Ed: Select properties, of course. The pic above your post yields:

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/0/2/6/38796_1264117620.jpg

Selfloader
30th Jan 2010, 15:58
yeller, thanks for that will try it next time.

nugpot
3rd Feb 2010, 06:16
And you may not like to know what they're dropping to do these shorter turnarounds

It can't be refueling, so it has to be ............. cleaning?

proceeding outbound
3rd Feb 2010, 07:19
Looking at the background of the picture above it would appear South Africa is experiencing global cooling.

Those "green" jets are really efficient!:}

spongebathbob
4th Feb 2010, 12:01
I.R Pirate....NOW YOU TALKING..:ok:

Trossie
9th Feb 2010, 11:51
Has anyone done a Dutch translation of that registration...?

Selfloader
11th Feb 2010, 12:24
The kulula livery has made the pages of a ther UK's largest selling tabloid The Sun. You can't buy advertising like this. Check it out at:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... z0fDzCO83p (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2848572/Comical-new-livery-for-South-African-carrier-Kulula.html#ixzz0fDzCO83p)

Capetonian
14th Mar 2010, 08:15
Kulula cabin crew are clearly keeping their inflight humour fresh.

On a recent flight from Cape Town, the safety instructions included this gem: "In the unlikely event of Bafana Bafana winning the World Cup or the cabin being depressurised, oxygen masks will drop from the ceiling."

Little One
14th Mar 2010, 11:14
The safety card also has a few gems on it.

My favorite was printed at the bottom saying something along the lines of

"This card makes an excellent fanning device and should therefore be left in the plane so that others may use it"