View Full Version : FAA license validation based on JAR ATPL

21st Jan 2010, 03:50

I've a JAR ATPL and a FAA PPL (VFR only) validation based on the JAR one.

The FAA PPL is still of the old paper format, without photo.
I do use the FAA PPL once in a while to do some single engine fun flying in the US.

Recently, I was told that there is a deadline of March 1st 2010 to obtain a new type FAA license. I've trying to email the FAA. No joy!

Does anybody know how to obtain the new FAA validation PPL license?

Biggles :)

21st Jan 2010, 04:37
From the FAA web site

Paper Pilot Certificates Expire March 31, 2010 (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/expiring_paper_certificates/)

And there is no photo on the new cards, just requirement to have government issued photo ID with you.

21st Jan 2010, 11:28
However that process is no good if you hold a Restricted Certificate, you have to go through a much more laborious process ad pay a visit to a FSDO to complete the process. Start here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_licence_verification_process.pdf)

21st Jan 2010, 12:10
Marker inbound: This does not apply to Restricted or validations. Thanks anyway.

Whopity: Thanks for your reply... Problem is, if I do start the new process now, I will need to present myself to a FSDO as you say and this seems to be time limited. I'm not planning on going to the US this year. Just got back from a flying holiday... Not sure what would be the best plan of action.


21st Jan 2010, 13:13
Not sure what would be the best plan of action.

On your next visit get a standalone FAA PPL ? Much less hassle in the long run.

21st Jan 2010, 13:29
I agree if you have the time and money get a standalone FAA PPL or just visit a local FSDO with all your paperwork. Do not forget to get a foreign validation before you go , I did not and wasted a trip .

21st Jan 2010, 14:26
Standalone PPL

Not so easy. You will need a visa, a school and TSA, Unless done in Europe where you will only need TSA. Just a thought though....cant a DPE in Europe do the paperwork for the validation.........(at a fee ofcouse ?)

21st Jan 2010, 14:35
Not so easy. You will need a visa, a school and TSA

Well, do you really? As you already hold the FAA PPL, albeit based on a foreign license, does sitting the exams and doing the flight test constitute 'training'? I never looked into this (I have a standalone FAA license), but isn't that the same as a BFR? IOW you do not receive any training, you simply demonstrate the ability. Also, in FAAland YOU are the PIC during the checkride, so no training given here either. Sounds like something for our legal eagles.

21st Jan 2010, 15:11
You need a visa for PPL but not for ATP.
Since you have an ICAO ATP the easiest would be to take the FAA written exam and take the FAA checkride.
Gets you an independent FAA certificate.

(3) Holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with instrument privileges, or a foreign commercial pilot license with an instrument rating, that—

(i) Was issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation; and

(ii) Contains no geographical limitations.

(e) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this subpart that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought before applying for the practical test;

(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas of §61.155(c) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought;

(g) Pass the practical test on the areas of operation listed in §61.157(e) of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought; and

61.153 is what you are looking for;
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=2a0d1c34f9312e071da650cc158dc918&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1