PDA

View Full Version : Indian taxes

acy RJ driver
19th Jan 2010, 20:58
Hello to all

It's tax time here in the US and I hoping to get some advice from any expats who have experience with the filing/ claiming Indian income and taxes with the US govt. any positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers and happy landings.

Acy.

411A
20th Jan 2010, 00:08
Instructions for form 1116...
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1116.pdf

Very straightforward, and unchanged from previous years, as far as I know.

Rotorhead1026
20th Jan 2010, 18:12
Your employer should be able to provide you with a "Form 16" (India) for 2009. It'll show the taxes paid to the Indian government.

The IRS filing is actually not so straightforward. You'll most likely need TWO 1116's - one to apply to the 1040 and one to the 6251 (AMT). This is especially so if you don't qualify for the income exclusion, and most of us don't.

I HIGHLY recommend that you find a preparer who knows the ropes for this situation.

itsbrokenagain
21st Jan 2010, 01:29
so how did you get the form 16 in India when the tax year here in India doesn't end Dec 31 like in the USA? (just curious as my company HR is really not intelligent at all!)

Rotorhead1026
21st Jan 2010, 21:02
They're generated quarterly, shortly after the quarter ends. They're sent to the Indian "IRS". Within six weeks or so after the quarter, a copy would show up in my file. That's how it happened where I worked. YMMV. Of course, if your employer is in fact not paying your taxes, then there'd be no Form 16. :eek: