PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate Inspections entry.

grababadger
19th Jan 2010, 17:49
Can anyone tell me the laws concerning how duplicate inspections are written in a tech log, i.e are two separate entries required or can it be written in one defect box/action box.

Any solid answers appreciated.

Bus429
19th Jan 2010, 18:39
More accurately an Independent Inspection under Part M but many UK AMOs retain the BCAR wording and qualification requirements. 2 separate entries generally the norm but some AMOs have a pro-forma stamp for that purpose.

grababadger
19th Jan 2010, 19:21
what is a pro-forma stamp, excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of it. Also which legal documentation outlines the laws concerning tech entries or is it down to each MRO on how they do it??

Bus429
19th Jan 2010, 19:40
I actually meant a stamp pre-made that could be imprinted in the tech log and filled in.
Part M (M.A.306) lays out the requirement for the technical log and its layout (assuming you are in EASA land). The operator dictates the manner in which the technical log is completed but it has to conform to Part M. The operator's Continued Airworthiness Management Exposition (CAME) and OPs Manuals determine how it is controlled and completed. Part 145 AMOs have to stipulate - or include interface procedures related to operators they maintain - through their Maintenance Organisation Exposition (MOE) how maintenance staff complete the customer's log

mono
19th Jan 2010, 20:32
Part M sub part D states:-

An independent inspection shall be carried out after any flight safety sensitive
maintenance task unless otherwise specified by Part-145 or agreed by the
competent authority.

how this is done should be stated in the individual 145 organisation exposition.

Under BCAR, the old duplicate inspection was in fact NOT a CRS. It was a statement that the disturbed parts had been correctly re-assembled and range, motion, etc were correct There was a specific wording that had to be used (hence the pre-worded "stamps" that were used). The installation was carried out and range, motion, etc checks carried out and a dupe done. Then the f/chk IAW the AMM was the actual CRS.

How it is under EASA I'm not that sure but I do it as if it were the old BCAR way and I've not been pulled for it (yet)

piggybank
19th Jan 2010, 21:42
Our company tech logs have a preprinted area in the lower right corner, and although the work carried out is on an extra worksheet the duplicate inspection is done on the extra worksheet and the tech log page that had the entry. I have never heard of anyone believing the duplicate is a CRS, its just part of the necessary documentation.

Bus429
20th Jan 2010, 07:20
Duplicate would be a CRS if entered in tech log like any other maintenance entry; duplicates done in base would be on a normal non-routine card which would not normally hold a CRS (as piggybank says).

GS John
20th Jan 2010, 07:36
The person who signs the initial part of the duplicate / independent has to be the person who has performed the work. This person is also the person who certifies the CRS, ie they are legally responsible for that work. So on a tech log page you could have the two signatures for the check, but then the initial person would have to issue the CRS.

However as there's more than one way of skinning a cat, and has already been mentioned, the completion of the Tech Log has to be iaw the Part M and or 145 organisations procedures which may require extra certifications.

Miles Gustaph
21st Jan 2010, 06:37
...your MOE should specify how you comply with duplicate inspection requirements

Sudhirsalvi
11th Aug 2010, 07:38
Part INDIA CAR M sub part D MA 402 states
An independent inspection shall be carried out after any flight safety sensitivemaintenance task unless otherwise specified by Part-145 or agreed by the competent authority. for determining the need for an independent inspection , the manufactures recommendations shall be follwed .
Can any one tell me How this can be complied in A maintenace programme of Boeing 737-800 aircrafts . can some one help me in identifying such maintenance task ??

Gas Bags
11th Aug 2010, 13:20
Sudhirsalvi,

Read your MMOE or whatever your company uses as the equivelant and it will be defined in that document what sytems require independant inspections to be carried out after disturbance.

The majority of people you will meet in your career, as I have, will put a major emphasis in debating that an independant inspection is NOT required. So much so that they will debate for 10 times the length of time it requires to actually do an independant inspection instead of just doing one. This is usually because independant inspections can be a grey area, and because of laziness. Also our industry is full of bush lawyers who want to prove to everybody around them that they are more informed.

My advice to you is, do what I do....If you are at all unsure (even slightly) that an independant inspection is required, complete one. It does not take long (usually less time than a debate on whether it is required) and one thing I can guarantee you is you will never be caught out by doing an independant inspection if it really was not required (what regulator or QAM in their right mind would berate you, or take away your approval, for doing more than required!!!).

If you do not do one because you fall for the armchair expert who is too lazy to get up and assist you, it will be your approval that gets pulled....Not his.

Your approval is your livelyhood, look after it.

GB

tristar 500
11th Aug 2010, 14:02
If I remember correctly now days the person signing for the original inspection signs the Tech Log with the words "1st inspection carried out" & the person doing the duplicate inspection has to sign using the words "2nd inspection carried out" & yes for all my time in aircraft maintainance both were CRS items.

tristar 500

piggybank
21st Aug 2010, 23:30
Tristar 500. I say you are wrong. Some inspections can be quite exhaustive and in the sad case of the aircraft being Christmas Tree'd for spares there can be plenty of dupes required before the CRS gets signed. (apologies in advance in case I did not read into your reply enough)

Capot
22nd Aug 2010, 05:19
And change is in the air......keep an eye on MDM 020 and MDM 048 (from memory) in the 2010-2013 EASA rule-making programme. One or both of these seeks to elaborate the definition of Flight Safety Sensitive Maintenance Tasks needing an independent inspection, as I understand it.

piggybank
22nd Aug 2010, 05:28
Capot. I have not read the article yet but I have worked for a company that included any disconnected fluid lines as a mandatory duplicate inspection, fuel and hydraulic.

TURIN
22nd Aug 2010, 21:12
I'm with Tristar500 on this.

Each individual inspection requires a full 'B' License CRS.

There has been some confusion since the introduction of the 'verification check' which as far as I know can be certified by an 'A' License holder.