PDA

View Full Version : Japanese carriers

TAC inop.
19th Jan 2010, 13:49
Hi guys
I have residency in Japan and used to fly 777s for Emirates... amongst other things of course
My wife and I now live in Shibuya.
What carriers should I look at, and what is your opinion of the prospects?
....oh, I'm an Australian (gaijain) but my wife is Japanese
Any sugestions?
cheers

The Dominican
19th Jan 2010, 15:06
I would look at ANA's contract on the 76's (that is where I'm at) good gig, you will probably have an average of 15 to 17 days at home if you live in Japan and the pay is better than all other contracts out there. You can always come to the watering holes in Narita and pick the brains of some of the guys that are always available for a beer, good luck on your search:ok:

TAC inop.
19th Jan 2010, 15:51
Hey D
....no, not really..US dollars are not so great here....was hoping to grab something internal, and go directly to the meat...no PARC or CREWwhatever

TAC inop.
19th Jan 2010, 15:53
....oh, how's Mat and Jorgy going?

The Dominican
20th Jan 2010, 00:45
....was hoping to grab something internal, and go directly to the meat...no PARC or CREWwhatever

I don't think you will be successful in getting a job here in Japan without a contract agency but I wish you luck on your search

crj705
20th Jan 2010, 07:35
The Dominican is correct. Even the Japanese pilots that we have here have to go through the contractor. No way around it.

TAC inop.
20th Jan 2010, 12:16
mmmmmm...ok...recomendations?

what / who's good to look at?

The Dominican
20th Jan 2010, 16:08
My recommendation is to apply to ALL the jobs that are available in Japan right now since things are pretty competitive, don't fool yourself into thinking that because you live in Japan and are a legal resident you will have an advantage over other applicants, things are tight right now and all contracts here in Japan have applicants numbered in the thousands, all of them with high times and command experience. Not at all trying to discourage you but rather trying to give you a realistic perspective of the job market here

The best of luck TAC.:ok:

www.crewresourcesworldwide.com/ (http://www.crewresourcesworldwide.com/)
www.PARCAviation.com (http://www.PARCAviation.com)
www.IACGlobal.com (http://www.IACGlobal.com)

bumba
21st Jan 2010, 10:33
... any ITALIANS flying in Japan?

bumba
22nd Jan 2010, 16:51
... I didn't specify as pilots but I thought it is implicit!

ws737
22nd Jan 2010, 17:41
I'm going to apply..can anybody suggest what contractor is the best to go through..I have info from PARC..thanks

Manilo72
22nd Jan 2010, 18:05
On an advertisement for this company is stated:
"Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating on the ATPL".

What does it really mean?Should I have been Captain previously?

The Yank
23rd Jan 2010, 02:59
Manilo72,

If you have a Jet type on your JAA licence (I assume that you have a JAA licence living in Rome). You have what the Japanese consider a command rating since the JAA do not give FO's (SIC's) a different rating than Captains (PIC's)

Good luck

TY :ok:

Manilo72
23rd Jan 2010, 10:13
Thanks a lot The Yank. :ok:
Now it is completely clear.

Ciao

alaskabob
23rd Jan 2010, 11:50
Tac, For direct entry to almost all Japanese Air carriers you will need at least a JCAB Commercial Instrument and a Japanese Aeronautical Radio License (which actually is fairly difficult to obtain). Your conversion will probably run at least 4 million yen and then will only land you an FO Job, which you will probably have to stay as an FO for about 8 years prior to upgrade. If you are still interested, I think J-Air is currently hiring FO's. The Pay is about 4 million per year. If you are looking at ANA mainline, I think it would be near impossible if you didn't graduate from Tokyo U!

I would seriously look at the contract places if you don't want to shell out big money and not get any returns for 10 years.

Good Luck!

sec 3
23rd Jan 2010, 11:50
Yah, and I'm sure they'll take someone with a JAA licence and stick him directly into the left seat of an aircraft without checking if he has any command time:confused:

The Dominican
23rd Jan 2010, 13:49
Yah, and I'm sure they'll take someone with a JAA licence and stick him directly into the left seat of an aircraft without checking if he has any command timehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

You are making an erroneous assumption, these are the requirements for an F (http://about<b></b>:blank#)/O's position

Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours
Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1, 000 hours
250 hrs. PIC; 100 hrs. PIC Cross Country; 200 hrs. Cross Country;
100 hrs. Night Flight; 75 hrs. Instrument Flight; Required.
Valid ICAO State ATPL
ICAO Level 4 English
Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating on the ATPL
Valid ICAO State Class 1 Medical Certificate

TAC inop.
23rd Jan 2010, 23:49
Yup, I see the picture with the majors, but how about the smaller operators of 73s and such..... other than the usual ANA subs we know about....I'm wondering if it would be at all possable that one of them ( whoever they may be ) would considder a direct application.
I dont know for a fact, but I'm guessing that a non ANA / JAL owned and alined airline must exist

gtseraf
25th Jan 2010, 00:44
Hi Bumba

Yes, there are a couple for Air Japan, one on line and the other on training in the sim.

Have a look at the AJV/AJX thread on PPRUNE

whazitdoinnow
25th Jan 2010, 13:45
Hey Bumba, there are also two Italians at NCA.

bumba
25th Jan 2010, 14:43
... I knew it! Damn! ITALIANS are everywhere! Are they selling pizza down there? ... just because I know how to make a gooooood marinara !